Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was set to buy a TCI Stage 2 Torque Arm Rear Suspension mini tub, Complete 9" rear end and the Pro Touring IFS.
I am planning on putting a Gen 3 Coyote in my 66 Coupe and was considering the Tremec TKX.

However, someone from MTF kept posting that their IFS allowed for any trans, without mods to the tunnel.... which kinda intrigues me because I can get a better deal on a coyote with a different trans - and I don't want to do trans tunnel mods. I'll call MTF when it's not the weekend and I'm not watching The Masters...

I read in a post from 2015 or so that TCI required a different hood and that people have had challenges, but they didn't elaborate. I don't know if that's still the case

I am interested in hearing the pros and cons that you know of on TCI vs MTF front end and rear end both.

Thanks in advance, LeftturninABQ

·
Registered
303 Posts
MTF seems to absolutely refuse to want to answer whether the 6R80 and 10R80 will clear the tunnel with their suspension setup - they have been asked numerous times, point blank in threads in which employees were involved, and they totally ignored the question. Be careful with that claim.

Revology's cars seem to use the TCI setup, unless the buyer springs for the DetroitSpeed setup. Seems to work just fine for their application, and they are putting together the highest-dollar Coyote swapped Mustangs around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MTF seems to absolutely refuse to want to answer whether the 6R80 and 10R80 will clear the tunnel with their suspension setup - they have been asked numerous times, point blank in threads in which employees were involved, and they totally ignored the question. Be careful with that claim.

Revology's cars seem to use the TCI setup, unless the buyer springs for the DetroitSpeed setup. Seems to work just fine for their application, and they are putting together the highest-dollar Coyote swapped Mustangs around.
Thanks for that response. I noticed the @mustangstofear that was making those claims in the coyote swap roll call hasn't been on VMF for many months.
I will call them. I find it hard to believe some of these transmissions will fit in the tunnel.

Does anyone know if the TCI pro touring IFS does require a new hood?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I would recommend taking a look at the Heidts Pro G gen II front suspension setup, which rests the Coyote lower than the TCI setup. I have their kit in two 65-66 Mustangs. I have a T56 which clears the stock tunnel, but I did have to notch the tunnel support. More details contained in the build threads linked in my signature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would recommend taking a look at the Heidts Pro G gen II front suspension setup, which rests the Coyote lower than the TCI setup. I have their kit in two 65-66 Mustangs. I have a T56 which clears the stock tunnel, but I did have to notch the tunnel support. More details contained in the build threads linked in my signature.

View attachment 790539

View attachment 790540

View attachment 790541
What headers did you use , i have a 69 with a pro g im looking for headers

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Pan, I'm not asking about under the frame, I'm looking at some framerail to cowl braces. You can barely see them. Need a side view. The Heidt's site doesn't show anything like them. LSG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pan, I'm not asking about under the frame, I'm looking at some framerail to cowl braces. You can barely see them. Need a side view. The Heidt's site doesn't show anything like them. LSG
oh i see now, i know MTF used to sell a rounded brace but those are angular and look to be much more rigid . I would like to know as well.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
oh i see now, i know MTF used to sell a rounded brace but those are angular and look to be much more rigid . I would like to know as well.
If you are going to brace it, do it right, in a way that lets you retain an export brace, like this guy did:

No, you can't buy bracing exactly like this(the MTF bracing is the closest off-the-shelf you can buy) but we are talking about quite a bit of welding already...its easy enough to fabricate bracing that allows you to do this.

Reactions: leftturninabq

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,702 Posts
If you are going to brace it, do it right, in a way that lets you retain an export brace, like this guy did:

No, you can't buy bracing exactly like this(the MTF bracing is the closest off-the-shelf you can buy) but we are talking about quite a bit of welding already...its easy enough to fabricate bracing that allows you to do this.
I see there are gussets that sort of connect that cowl to frame brace to the export brace, but it seems that it would be more rigid if that cowl/frame bar went up to the point where the export attaches. You’d be getting into mini-cage space then…

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I see there are gussets that sort of connect that cowl to frame brace to the export brace, but it seems that it would be more rigid if that cowl/frame bar went up to the point where the export attaches. You’d be getting into mini-cage space then…
Oh, I agree, it would be more effective higher. It would also be more effective with another tube triangulation down to the lower portion of the torque box where it connects to the rocker, but all in all it shows a lot more thought than many such conversions(More thought involved than the MII conversion I did myself on a previous mustang)

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
790 Posts
Image98’s build above does have the MTF front frame stiffeners. It contains a large pipe from the outer, forward frame area to the outer firewall then a smaller pipe angled down attached to the torque box. Obviously it will add some strength but from an engineering standpoint point I didn’t find it required for the Heidts setup. Something like what’s presented in Wicked93s photo, the way it’s triangulated / gusseted would definitely result in something stronger.

·
Registered
1968 Fastback, 351w Fitech, MTF long subframe, TKX, more to come….
45 Posts
I’m installing the MTF setup now with a TKX. While I can’t comment on fit I can say the company changed hands and there was some confusion with my order (I purchased last spring). It was all straightened out eventually but i get the impression they’re still adjusting to running a business.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe
210 Posts
I've driven my car quite bit late summer and fall and I have to say I am very impressed with the MTF suspension. I also went with the MTF long tube headers which fit really good, only having to put a small dent in one tube to clear the DD steering shaft. I am currently going to replace the 450 lb front springs with 500 pounders. I also did the Heights rear IRS.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang powered by a Terminator
89 Posts
I installed a 2003 cobra 4.6 with a T56. I had to modify the trans tunneland use a raised hood to clear the supercharger. Hood may not be needed if you're not planning to use a supercharger.

If I recall correctly I seen the Heidts suspension with the same setup and no heavy mods needed and regular hood.

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
790 Posts
I installed a 2003 cobra 4.6 with a T56. I had to modify the trans tunneland use a raised hood to clear the supercharger. Hood may not be needed if you're not planning to use a supercharger.
If I recall correctly I seen the Heidts suspension with the same setup and no heavy mods needed and regular hood.
True, with a Coyote and the Heidts Pro-G IFS it’s probably a good inch or two lower than other IFS’s. This is good and bad.. Its great in regards to degree of tunnel modification (T56 or smaller) and does leave you a good 3 inches from the OEM Coyote intake to bottom of hood. I chose an aftermarket hood but primarily for looks and airflow. I feel most if not all available SC’s would fit with a stock hood. The con side of the Heidts IFS - given where it sits (lower), you do loose the ability to fully slam the front end if that’s your build objective etc. There are pro’s and con’s for each of the manufacturers front frame/suspension swaps. If anyone would like either for the Heidts Pro-G let me know.

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.