Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a TCP (manual) R&P for 3-4 years now and like the feel, but I am buying a complete engine with a power steering pump already built in (and a serpentine system) so I'm looking for recommendations:

1) The TCP could be better on turn radius, but I'd rather not start over. I think there was a conversion to power at one point but couldn't find it on the website. If anyone knows any details on this (or even better EXPERIENCE) I'd love to discuss it with you.

2) OR, go buy the top recommended power R&P. Suggestions welcome!

Background: This is going in a '68 fastback that already has SoT front coil over. Stroked 351 and TKO. I intend to run longtubes but couldn't make them fit with my current Z-bar/Toploader so they are sitting in the garage. I want the car to be 100% streetable but still able to hit an autoX or road course without concern.

·
Registered
36 Posts
just buy an electric power steering conversion and put that on your steering column, then you can keep the existing steering rack and have power steering that will never leak fluid and is fully adjustable for steering stiffness.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just buy an electric power steering conversion and put that on your steering column, then you can keep the existing steering rack and have power steering that will never leak fluid and is fully adjustable for steering stiffness.
I've never driven a car with electric steering, but haven't read many positive reviews even in high end sportscars (as far as the fell of the steering, not necessarily performance). What are the best options and how much room do they take up? (I'm using an Ididit steering column if it makes a difference).

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you like the manual rack just keep it, place an idler at the p/s location and enjoy...
I do like it but there is still room for improvement. It sucks in parking lots or tight spaces. If there have been significant improvements in the last decade, I might give them a look. An Idler will solve the problem, but on a nice serpentine system seems kinda silly.

Maybe selling the manual TCP and going with their power kit would be the best option? I know Shawn at SoT sells the unisteer, so that could be an option as well.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've never driven a car with electric steering, but haven't read many positive reviews even in high end sportscars (as far as the fell of the steering, not necessarily performance). What are the best options and how much room do they take up? (I'm using an Ididit steering column if it makes a difference).

I have a TCP manual rack with EPAS. I fully replaced my steering column for the EPAS kit.. or you can try to modify what you have. I went with the kit, as I have limited fabrication skills.

Sent from the interwebs

·
Registered
801 Posts
I always loved the factory setup, when it's not filled with 50 year old dead dinosaur lubricant and all the parts aren't worn out. Never had a complaint with the fast ratio box whatsoever. IMHO, that's the "upgrade" to your rack. Good feel, better turn radius, lasts a lot longer, and you can get replacement parts too. With Shelby drop and modern alignment specs, it's a hard setup to beat.

Something to consider here: the reason factories went with "rack and pinion" steering wasn't because it works better, but because it has less complexity and it's cheaper to make. They always work pretty good when they're new, but as you already know, the turn radius on all the racks I've seen kind of sucks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If I were to go EPS, I would have the unit only assisting at low speed and off entirely under normal driving...that way, the only time you need power steering(in the parking lot) it would be there without affecting feel the rest of the time

·
Registered
250 Posts
As far as the feel for the road .... the Borgensen Steering Box conversion is not exactly the be-all/end-all either. I think after doing it, I would stand in the rebuild/replace camp myself. Looking back, I think a stock configuration, in good shape, might be a better way to go.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Just found out that late model Dodge Chargers use an electric driven hydraulic PS pump that's mounted in front of the Rt front wheel. This would be an excellent pump for powering an aftermarket R&P steering system.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Having autocrossed and tracked EPAS for 5 years now, I think the biggest issue with them is people needing and being used to return to center. If one is looking to have EPAS and have it feel exactly like power steering, they will be sorely disappointed. Once you just drive the system as it is, you forget about RTC and I like it just fine. I do not miss or aspire for any changes to the system but I would not recommend it if you do not get a system that has a rheostat so you can change to assist. I adjust mine all the time for the type of driving I'm doing. Its also kinda cool/weird to have power steering in the garage with the motor off.

I still land in the exact same place in the results at autocrosses as I did with juice power steering. One side effect I absolutely love and one of the reasons I decided to fabricate mine was the absence of the PS Pump, hoses, pulleys and parasitic drag on my motor. CLEAN and SIMPLE!!!

I would be shocked if TCP didn't have a drop-in power rack for your system, I'd give them a call...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would be shocked if TCP didn't have a drop-in power rack for your system, I'd give them a call...
You're right, they do. I was referring to an "upgrade" from manual to power for people that already have the manual system. I remember a discussion where someone sent in their manual and they converted it to power for a reasonable fee. I'll call to see if they still do this. Otherwise I'll probably have to pony up for a new power system and sell my manual to help defray the costs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having autocrossed and tracked EPAS for 5 years now, I think the biggest issue with them is people needing and being used to return to center. If one is looking to have EPAS and have it feel exactly like power steering, they will be sorely disappointed. Once you just drive the system as it is, you forget about RTC and I like it just fine. I do not miss or aspire for any changes to the system but I would not recommend it if you do not get a system that has a rheostat so you can change to assist. I adjust mine all the time for the type of driving I'm doing. Its also kinda cool/weird to have power steering in the garage with the motor off.

I still land in the exact same place in the results at autocrosses as I did with juice power steering. One side effect I absolutely love and one of the reasons I decided to fabricate mine was the absence of the PS Pump, hoses, pulleys and parasitic drag on my motor. CLEAN and SIMPLE!!!

A plus with the EPS and removal of the ps pump is a very noticeable drop in under hood temperatures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts