Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have manual gearbox and when I used all the shims to lower the rack (two 1/4" thick shims) and set it rearwards from the control arms (two thick washers) the intermediate shaft conflicted the z-bar.
I thought that the column tube was too much in car, so I turned the tube clamp 180 degrees (there is a tongue in clamp to install in slot in the tube), it helped a little. But then the problem was that intermediate shaft interfered the operation of the U-joints and the shaft was still too close to the z-bar. Then I removed all the shims to set the and then there is room for z-bar, but intermediate shaft is still in conflict with the U-joints.
I figured there would be two options. Make wedge shims between rack and frame rails to slightly turn the pinion axle upwards and pull the column tube backwards. The other would be to shorten the intermediate shaft to allow U-joints to operate.

I would like to hear your opinions. I approached the TCP forum yesterday, but being 4th of July, they haven't of course even seen my question yet.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'm using the TC R&P on my '66 fastback. I'm lowered two inches, have try-y's, a Super Duty T5 trans, and I only had to follow the instructions to get mine in. No modifications at all except for what was noted in the TC instructions.

I'd say check your installation and make sure you have interpredted the instructions correctly. If you have a specific item you have a question about and would like me to look at or measure on my car, just let me know.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The intermediate shaft is only slightly too long. When I opened the splined U-joint and dropped it slightly and slightly yanked the column tube rearwards the steering went full 360 and over nicely. So I think I will 2*times slightly trim the intermediate shaft shorter. I failed to mention that the car has had two left front cover accidents that may have wrecked the firewall and front frame rail dimensions.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I am having exactly the same problem with my new Ididit column. The column is too far into the u-joint and the joint is binding against the shaft. Hopefully just pulling the column back a 1/4" will fix the binding.

Shortening the intermediate shaft will server the same purpose, but would require more work too. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just afraid that the column might slip back into engine bay after a bump or pothole and steering would bind. I would like to use the clamp tongue in the slot to prevent this. That's why I would prefer trimming the intermediate shaft. It's just hard to estimate how much to take off. Well, maybe I just trim a little by little until nice clearance is observed.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I am just afraid that the column might slip back into engine bay after a bump or pothole and steering would bind. I would like to use the clamp tongue in the slot to prevent this.

<hr></blockquote>Your concern is valid. I have gotten around this by using two different clamps; the stock clamp below the dash and the clamp that came with my column. There is actually a third clamp, which came with the rack, but it's just a friction fit and does not do anything but look good at this point.

You could get the same second clamp from Ididit. It is their "Adjustable Floor Mount w/Trim Kit".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts