Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm autocrossing my 65 without torque boxes or convertible inner rockers and I think it's OK and wasn't too worried about it. I'd like to participate in the SCCA Cam Challenge this summer and that means the old girl needs to put on a few pounds to get to the 3000 lbs min weight and yes there will most likely be scales on site. So this not horribly expensive TCP subframe connecter system will add some needed pounds at the lowest points on the car (y), certainly can't hurt in the chassis strength department even though the front connects to the wimpy floor supports, and can be installed in a day(y). The only thing that scares me is loading it onto my trailer! I could us a little input from others that have it or a clean side shot of just how far it hangs down. Thank you in advance! Yes, I know I still need torque boxes but it isn't happening in the near future. The subframe connecters are welded in place BTW. Only the center section is bolted in place for obvious reasons.

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/support/sub/PKG-SFC-01_AT.jpg

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I had the x brace and the connectors. But the older version that was all round tube. I never got around to installing them but iirc when test fitting, nothing hangs lower than the subframe connectors. On another car with similar connectors I never had a problem loading on the trailer. I still have the connectors I can sell if interested.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Here's a video of the install but on a 70. It gives you an idea of what it looks like going in though.

I looked into it and I'm still interested but you have to route your exhaust tighter against the driveshaft and in the tunnel.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Running tinman subframe and torque boxes on my 66. Have a 16' car trailer, just got to remember to pick the trailer nose up a bit when loading. I did make some wood ramp extensions that help when its tight. If the nose is high enough I can easily clear with just the trailer ramps.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Btw, the torque boxes and subframes make a VERY noticeable difference in the stability, cornering, and predictability of the car. If the car starts to come loose, you feel it sooner, and can make the correction earlier. The only downside, it become really apparent where your suspension lacks. Hope that makes since.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Btw, the torque boxes and subframes make a VERY noticeable difference in the stability, cornering, and predictability of the car. If the car starts to come loose, you feel it sooner, and can make the correction earlier. The only downside, it become really apparent where your suspension lacks. Hope that makes since.
I know I need the boxes I just don’t have the time this year.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I’ve trailered my car several times and with no special accommodations. It trailers just fine with the TCP subframe connectors.

·
Registered
20,512 Posts
I've been on the fence about subframe connectors mostly for that reason, not so much putting it on my trailer but it just sits a bit low. I did put torque boxes in though. My car is very solid to begin with, no structural rust or damage so the unibody was pretty tight. After putting the boxes in I can't say i directly notice a improvement but more what I don't notice. I get the impression the body is tighter, and I don't notice any squeaks or rattles. It just seems more solid. I'm thinking of doing something behind the rear seat.

I'd put the torque boxes in before sub frame connectors. For a while land speed racing caught my fancy. I was looking into the East Coast Timing Association "ECTA". The events are held at airports with long runways for a mile run. I was looking into or I should say learning about roll cage options. While a cage wouldn't be required for speeds up to 135 mph, just 3 point seat belts the thought of something going wrong at 80 mph scared the daylights out of me. Besides this, a 6 point cage would really stiffen the car far more and have great ground clearance was a big consideration. In the end I decided not to. For one I wouldn't want to hit my head on a steel tube during a accident. The cage is only part of a safety system, proper seats and belts required. Without all 3, no good!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here's mine... No problems with loading on a trailer. The TCP Subframe connector tucks up nice and tight. I think the header collectors, mufflers and transmission cross-member all hang lower than the TCP brace. I'll see if I can get a profile pic from the side tonight so you can get a better idea of how far it hangs down.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Thanks for those pics. I'd like to install the cross brace but was wondering how much I'd have to modify my exhaust to make it fit. Glad to see I won't have to buy new headers.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Garth66, those pictures are very helpful! I still think I'm going to have problems as my car sits really low and is getting lower. I already hit on the remnants of the HiPo crossover just past the floor supports. The exhaust needs to be professionalized from the new FPA headers to the muffler-ish things before the rear axle on the Arvinode exhaust. We have some pretty industrial 2" x 2' rollers collecting dust were I work, I'm sure they would give me one and I could mount it in the center at the rear of the trailer.

I think the added stiffness along with the available torsion bar if need and the driveshaft loop make this worthwhile.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here are a few profile pics showing that the headers hang down lower than the subframe connector. Also, you'll see that the center cross brace does not drop below the subframe connector rails on either side of the car. So if you have an issue loading onto a trailer, you'll have that issue with just the subframe connectors, regardless of whether you add the center cross-brace.

This pic is a little lower than the bottom edge of the car, looking up slightly.

This pic is pretty close to level/even with the bottom of the frame rails and subrame connectors. You can see the header collector just poking down on the left side, just behind the tire on the opposite side of the car in the pic.

View of the filthy underside, looking back and up at the subframe connectors and center cross-brace.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are a few profile pics showing that the headers hang down lower than the subframe connector. Also, you'll see that the center cross brace does not drop below the subframe connector rails on either side of the car. So if you have an issue loading onto a trailer, you'll have that issue with just the subframe connectors, regardless of whether you add the center cross-brace.

This pic is a little lower than the bottom edge of the car, looking up slightly. View attachment 742491

This pic is pretty close to level/even with the bottom of the frame rails and subrame connectors. You can see the header collector just poking down on the left side, just behind the tire on the opposite side of the car in the pic. View attachment 742492

View of the filthy underside, looking back and up at the subframe connectors and center cross-brace. View attachment 742494
I appreciate the great pictures, I'm going to go for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts