Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 302 i pulled from a truck originally, that was blowing white smoke when it died. Which i belive would point to a blown headgasket. The motor wasn't very high mileage, but did have some oil pressure issues, so i plan on doing main bearings while i'm down there with a new high volume oil pump. Is it worth it to even try to band-aide it for now? or should i just go ahead and redo the entire engine?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
See what condition the bores are in before you make a decision on a total rebuild. Maybe just a light cleanup and some new rings would work.

No need for a HV pump with new bearings and stock/street clearance.

What year and model of truck? Some Mexican 302 blocks made it into a few Ford pickups I hear. ::

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I belive the block is a D4, so i doubt its a mexican block.

I do remember though, when it was in the truck, it would frequently take 6k excursions and just beg for more. I never took a single cover off this engine, as it never needed it. It didn't develop low oil pressure until just a few short months before the headgaskets popped (i assume.)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Don't know how many miles are on the engine, but in addition to what you already mentioned, I would suggest the following at a minimum:

-- Mike cylinders and hone or bore as required, new rings

-- Mike all mains and rod throws

-- Rod, main, and cam bearings - don't scrimp on cam bearings

-- New rings

-- Valve job on the heads, making sure all seals and guides are servicable, or replaced

-- Timing set

-- New soft plugs

-- Quality set of engine gaskets!

Probably left something out, but that's the bare minimum I've found that works over the long haul. If any of these things are left out, I invariably have had to go back and re-do something. This costs more than if I'd done it right in the first place, and believe me, I've done some pretty inexpensive overhauls that lasted a long time.

Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts