Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the bare metal should be primed before any body filler is used. I've also heard the primer from the rattle cans is inferior. We like to do some body work before the weather breaks so I'd NOT like to use my sprayer and have to mix up quantity for the small areas. Am I making a mistake by jumping on this job with the rattle can method? Thanks Barry

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
HUGE mistake. Don't put spray can primer on any part of your car unless you plan ion stripping it all back off. The ONLY primer that should go UNDER body filler is a high quality expoxy primer. You CAN put a thin layer of filler over clean, freshly sanded (or use a grinder) metal as long as you don't contaminate the surface before applying the filler. all that kitty hair stuff is garbage. If you have that big of a area that needs to be filled then you need to a) learn to use a hamer and dolly, or b) learn to use a welder.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
It is more important for the repair to be sealed after the filler is used than for the metal to be primed before using filler. Plastic filler like Bondo does not keep moisture away from the metal under it, so exposure to the elements can cause the metal under the filler to start rusting unless the whole area is sealed with paint or primer sealer as soon as the body work is done. The filler will stick to clean metal better than cheap primer, so just scuff the area a little and clean it with a paint prep that removes all contaminants. If you're really concerned about it you can get panel prep from Eastwood which etches the metals surface with a mild acid to promote better adhesion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts