Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some problems with my wifes 69 fastback. It has a 302 with a 2 barrel carb. Before we got it it had been is storage for a Number of years. Now when I got it running and back together I have no power coming from the #3 and #7 cylinders. It Idles fine but under load I noticed it. I pulled the plug wires one at a time and found nothing happened when I pulled these 2. It sat for years with an open intake. But at least it was inside. Has anyone had a problem with a blocked intake port or should I do a compression test to look for stuck valves. There is plenty of spark getting to the cylinders and the plugs are new.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Since 3 and 7 are in the firing order sequence (15426378), have you checked that the wires are not switched at the distributor?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Try some marvel mystery oil in the gas.There's nothing better for sticking valves,and it's a good idea to have some extra upper cylinder lubrication in an engine that's been inactive for a long time.You can usually find it at any NAPA store.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
For the stuck valve try some 2 cyl. oil in the carb. Just pour some in while it is running. I my self have never had to do this but I have heard about it.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
If you have a stuck valve, you'll hear funny hissing noises when cranking and should hear valvetrain ticking when the engine is running (excessive valve lash)...

Pull the plugs on 3 and 7, along with one from another cylinder, and compare how they read...describe what you see.

It's possible that the plugs are bad or fouled and just aren't firing...

Just take it one step at a time....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts