Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm surprised the salesman handed the keys over to 3 teens! Most of the time they go for a ride along too, although not always.

I'm one who thinks kids should get small or midsized family cars for thier first vehicles. I started off with a 4cyl Dodge Omni and Chevy Citation 17 years ago when I started driving. An Accord/Camry/Malibu/Taurus should apply these days. Giving them a performance car is a bad idea.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I'm not so sure that the story is correct. No location listed and the information is kinda vague. I Googled, but couldn't find anything but the same exact wording in about 10 different message boards. But one thing is for sure, that's one crunched 2010 Mustang!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Lucky no one was hurt. I wonder if they will let me get the suspension

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jay_H_237 said:
I'm surprised the salesman handed the keys over to 3 teens! Most of the time they go for a ride along too, although not always.

I'm one who thinks kids should get small or midsized family cars for thier first vehicles. I started off with a 4cyl Dodge Omni and Chevy Citation 17 years ago when I started driving. An Accord/Camry/Malibu/Taurus should apply these days. Giving them a performance car is a bad idea.
"Giving" is the key. I learned to drive stick on a 75 International Scout and a 81 Chevy Citation. But they werent given to me. I was allowed to drive them with the understanding that they werent mine to destroy. My first car that I owned was a 65 Mustang coupe. It was a basket case, but it was mine. And as I fixed it up, I took care of it as it was my money I was driving in.
This is one reason I will not give my kids a car. People place more value on things that they work hard for versus things given away for nothing.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Intruder196 said:
People place more value on things that they work hard for versus things given away for nothing.
So very true!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not always true. I was given my 65 by my grandfather (and grandmother) when I turned 16, in the shape it's in now. I never raced it, abused it, and loved that thing as if I'd restored it myself.

Those teens are just idiots. They think life is "the Fast and Furious." I hope they all get a serious smackdown, like pay off the cost of the car. But most likely they won't have to pay anything, and will spend the rest of their lives snickering about how cool it was... and won't gain any respect.

Jeezus, I sound curmudgeonly and I'm only 36.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,007 Posts
I like how the speedo still says 100...
Idiot kids. I don't really believe the story, no one would just "walk" away from a crash like that. Even in NASCAR, they have head and shoulder holders, helmets, massive crash structure components, and they are still sometimes banged up a bit. These teens were "not wearing seat belts", and walked away from a 100 mph crash that disintegrated the car?? Riiiiiiiiiight.

5 years ago I talked with a salesman at a Dodge dealership, he told me one of his fellow "EX" salesmen - a younger guy- had taken a sold Viper off the showroom to drive around to the back of the shop for the preinspection. The sales guy pleaded and the stupid mgr gave in, telling him to be careful around the stoplite going around to the back. Well, the inevitable happened - he never showed up. He'd goosed it turning right at the light, the back of the car instantly came around and there was a million bits of bright yellow Viper around the corner of the dealer lot from it hitting a pole. And it had already been sold!

Lesson is you gotta treat these hi po cars with RESPECT - something maybe a few, but a lot of these younger guys seem to be unable to do.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Jay_H_237 said:
Well for some people I would agree with that but please dont lump all of us teen drivers together. Not all of us are as dumb as these 3.

·
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
I see this one finding its way to snopes.com eventually... right down to the photoshopped speedometer.

-Zim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts