Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me about the specs. on a '71 429 police itercepter motor , or tell me a web site that might have info?
a guy I work with got one from his uncle, that bought the police car about 25 years ago the car is gone it was a LTD. but he's got the motor. thinking of buying it.

chris
p.s. complete motor all the way to the carb.

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Chris, thats a pretty good find. check out this forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220; totally dedicated to 429 and 460 builds. From what I have read on the forum there are some truck classes that dictate cast iron heads only; so high performance cast heads (which should be on the interceptor motor) are quite valuable. One of the regular posters on that forum named Scott has a web page dedicated to head work and head description.
Micah

G

·
0 Posts
Buy the engine! If not, tell me where it is so I can /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Use EXTREME caution on the 385 Forum. There are some poorly informed people there & some really mean ones too. I got flamed repeatedly by someone with no more experience than a street corner bum. I'm not the most knoledgible person out there but after doing 429/460's for 25 years, including an 8 second street/drag car, you'd think I might know something. PM me with the specific specs you need.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
It's the exact same thing as a 429CJ. I don't know if they came in LTDs. The only cars I've seen from that time period being used by police were Custom 500s, and Mercury Monterreys. If you're not real familiar with the motor, look for: Rochester Quadrajet Carb, Aluminum valve covers, DOOE-R casting number on heads, Exhaust manifolds have a slight "header" look to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts