Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after some thought I've decided to go Tri-Y headers and dual exhaust for now, and then upgrade my intake to an Autolite 4100 and edelbrock next month.

I already have the headers.

What kind of systems are you guys running behind your headers? And how much did it cost?

I'm not going to bother getting a bolt-on kit. It doesn't seem to be much cheaper then taking it to a shop and having them build me a system.

But, what pipe diameters and what mufflers do you use?

I want it to flow well. I'm not 100% sure but I think the final collector on my Tri-Ys is either 2 1/4 or 2.5, so I was thinking I would just take that size out the back on each side. Of course I'll have an H-pipe or equalizer or what it's called.

For sound, I'd love for it to rumble but i don't want my car to thunder and wake up my neighbors 2 blocks away when I leave here at midnight.

What do you guys run? Any videos with sound?

Thanks!

-Matt

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
Well, you might not like this answer, but I'm using the stock 66 system on a port-matched 289HP. Sounds great. Cost is $332 complete with H pipe. Can you get custom-bent for that? Here's the same system as mine, attached to original Tri-Y's:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I have a mild 331/AOD in my 68 convertable. I am running a set of ceramic coated tri-y's and the O/E 2.25" dual exhaust/ resonator/transverse muffler with a custom made "H" pipe. The sound is very much different that it was with the mild 289 that was replaced, it sounds much more throaty at idle and is not objectionable at speed with the top down.
I have toyed with replacing the complete exhaust system with a custom bent stainless set up but doubt that I will 'caus I think it sounds great the way it is.

Sorry , I would not have any idea on how to do a sound clip of my set up.

Maybe this will help, I will describe the sound to you :

Idle---- RUMBLE,RUMBLE,RUMBLE
WOT--- ROAR,
and highway --- PURR. :) :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used a Magna Flo Stainless kit #15816 with FPA Tri-Y Headers.If you go to a magna flo site and punch in that part number they have a couple sound clips.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, you might not like this answer, but I'm using the stock 66 system on a port-matched 289HP. Sounds great. Cost is $332 complete with H pipe. Can you get custom-bent for that? Here's the same system as mine, attached to original Tri-Y's:

Not sure why I wouldn't like that answer

Thanks!
-Matt

·
Registered
178 Posts
No exhaust it rotted off.
lol classic.

That's what happened to me. And at the time, i didn't have ANY money to really do anything. So i went to a local Midas...Luckily the guys working there were gear-heads who were tired of working on "new cars". They hooked me up with complete Raven system (custom pipe work, etc..) all for the price of a basic muffler job (i was outta there for like $50). God bless em'!

I've never felt the need to put anything else on there since my car flows and sounds meaner than many other 65s i've encountered. And I'm still rocking the original exhaust manifolds! HA! :pirate:

·
Registered
247 Posts
No exhaust it rotted off.
And the sound? Is it like this maybe?

Idle---- BOOMBLE,BOOMBLE,BOOMBLE
WOT--- RRRRRRROOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRRRR
and highway --- BBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Oscar

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
no its actualy not bad. its only really loud when you first rev it. at idle its pleasently quiet while not sounding to bad. heres a video with a walk around at idle. no revs because my dad objects to it and its his car. notice how only about a quarter of the exhaust makes it out the tail pipes all the rest goes out the bottom.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
im actualy putting the arvinode system on my car when i finish the transmission. and i was actualy going to use that joke when people asked me what mufflers it had one it.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
On that motor 2.25" is plenty big.

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
I have the 2.5" Magna Flo stainless system w/ X pipe, Patriot nickel plated tri-y headers. It fit right and sounds fine to me.

Z.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My son and I had Flowmaster 40 series mufflers with 2.25" pipe and x pipe on his 289 2v. It sounds fantastic. It's not too loud at all. My wife even likes the sound!

We debated about installing headers or sticking with the stock manifold. We ended up with the stock manifold because we did not plan on getting too far into an engine rebuild. We planned to replace the intake and carb with a 4v (Edelbrock Performer intake with 600 CFM carb). We did not plan on replacing the cam, so we felt the stock manifold would be OK.

That said, now we are thinking about replacing the cam...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I did mine on a budget. Stock 289/4sp. Patriot Tri-Y's, 2 1/4" pipes, Summit turbo mufflers, H pipe, thru GT tips. Very quiet at idle, but moderately loud when driving.

I can e-mail you a zip file wav file. I taped my digital hand held recorder to the rear bumper and drove around.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just bought: nickel plated Tri-ys and a 2.25 flowmaster kit from CJ Pony. I have a stock 289 2Barrel(for now) 67 Vert. Going to start the installation on wed I think

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a 289 4V stocker 4spd toploader, with factory dual exhaust and exhaust manifolds. It ran good, but decided to give her a little more go so I put on a Edelbrock Performer manifold, 550 Edelbrock carb, ceramic coated try-y's, 2.5" pipes into a Magnaflow X-pipe, Magnaflow muffs, and 2.5 out. I can tell you I loooooove the sound, it's not too loud just crusing around, but when I get on it...man it sounds sweet. Plus it has a LOT more 'git-up'. Had a local exhaust shop create the pipes using the factory pipe bends as a template. About $600 for the shop work

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
If you want a lossless exhaust system, put resonators (large chamber with smaller diameter inlet/outlet) about 18" after the beginning of your header collector and free flowing mufflers downstream. Then tune the carb for the exhaust system. The resonators cause a sudden reduction of pressure simulating open collectors. Without the resonators, and even with free flowing exhaust, the effective collector length is many feet long and not optimum.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have not decided on my final exhaust...currently only running longtube headers, 2-1/2" pipes back to flowmaster 40's and turndowns at the back axle.....it's loud when you get on it...

I'm not sure yet what I'll finally end up with, this is great for now...
Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts