Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 90 GT in the shop for a A/C re-charge, it has been there for a few days because their R12 machine is broken. I was driving to a friends house today and saw my car coming down the street towards me and then it pulled back into the shop into a bay. It was on a street right near the shop so I figured that I should not jump to any conclusions before I talked to them, maybe it was done and they were seeing if the A/C worked(I was trying to give them the benifit of the doubt). When I got to my friends house I called(they had no idea I saw them driving it) and said,
"I was wondering if my car was done."

he said, "no the machine is still broken, possibly tomorrow"

I said, "oh, i just saw it going for a test drive and figured that you were probably done with it(kind of being a wise ass about it)"

all he said was "yeah, we will give you a call tomorrow and let you know what is going on"

I was so pissed I just said "k talk to you tomorrow," and hung up. There is nothing in the world that upsets me more than the thought of someone taking my car out for a spin, if there was ANY reason that they may need to test drive it, fine. I worked hard to purchase my cars and work just as hard maintaining and "altering" them, I dont appreciate someone going out and most likely beating the $h!T out of it. If someone did this with my 65, I would have a heart attack, plain and simple.They knew that there was a freon leak and already had die in it and were just waiting for the "machine to be fixed." When I go to pick up the car, there will be some words exchanged between the manager and I, I'm just guessing that nothing will come of it since I am 22 and he probably won't care if I return to his shop or not. What do you think? Should I still not jump to conclusions? The only reason that I am upset is that I cant think of any reason that the car would need to be driven. Sorry for the rant

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
There must be another shop in Phoenix to take it to. If it had been my car, I would have yanked it out of there immediately and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, plus had a few words with the owner.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It doesn't matter how old you are. I would speak to the owner of the shop. Is it a small business or a franchise. I doubt their insurance is going to cover if anything were to happen to the car. And who knows how many miles were added or how they drove the car. I can bet there was some thrashing going on. I would be beyond pissed. There should be no reason for them to have the car there while their machine is "broken". I have no idea what your legal rights are, but I'm sure someone here will come up with some good advice. My 2 cents is to not let this slide. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Just bring them in a bill for the rental of your car to offset the AC bill they hand you. Be serious about it. You can wring a discount out of them using smarts. Thay will feel much better than making smart A$$ comments.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Me, I would have followed my car back into the shop, then yanked it out of there immediately. That's BS ... been there done that.

I once took my '68 Cougar to a Firestone dealer to get an alignment (this was in No. Virginia). I had to leave the car and they said it would be ready about 3:00. At 5:00, I went up there knowing they would be closing. They informed me that my L-50 tires wouldn't fit on their rack, so they didn't even attempt to align it. I was really POed that the car had sat there all day and no one had called me about it. I was fit to be tied when I got in the car and saw my half of tank of gas was gone!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
WOW I would be postal !!!!!
The car would be immediately removed from their shop, the owner would have a new butt hole ripped, and there would be complaints filed anywhere i could......and i would have the word of mouth go around about what they do. Plus a bill would be jammed down someone's throat for the estimated gas gone.
22 or not, they have no right to do that.
I'll bet nothing happens though......the boss will say "uh okay what ever" and who knows what's been done to your ride.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are over reacting. Isn't it a possibility that your car had to be moved somewhere to make room for another car. Sometimes it's just as easy to drive down the street to turn a car around as it is to jocky it around in the middle of the road. Just settle down, your anger is slightly unfounded. Now if the guy was burning the tires or came screaming around the corner on 2 wheels or something then I could see being pissed but just let it go, chances are the guys at that shop have plenty of better things to do than drive your apparently "fragile" mustang.

Paul

P.S. Can you tell I've worked at a shop before?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I agree with some of the others, get that car OUT of there. ::
And let the owner know why.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I don't leave my car for nothing. I had a exhaust put in my car by one of the best on the island. Took him a few hours because clearances were very tight. I sat there the whole time. When I shipped the Stang to Hawaii, I pulled the supercharger belt off, took pictures of the odometer, and everything else.
If the machine is broken, drive off, go back when the've fixed it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good lesson here. Always check the odometer before leaving your car for repair. Then check it when you pick it up.

Ask the owner/manager why the car was on the street. There may be a good reason, but don't just let it slide by. If you don't like the answer, then take the car immediately and find another shop.

When you find a shop that you can trust, stick with it.

-BS

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Seems a local couple took their lexus in for service. They got a call from police at 3am a day later. A service tech was pulled over for driving their vehicle erratically. He claimed to have been testing the car. Yea right. Oh, and guess what folks. Yes, he had been drinking. GM of the dealership says clients cars are taken home all the time, to test the cars. However, they will be changing that policy.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'd pull the car immediately. There's no reason for
drive it until it's been repaired. Also not wise to
leave it if the machine is broken. I'd find another
shop to take it to. Don't let your age stop you from
sticking up for your rights.
I'm afraid it that were my car, then I'd probably
would "rip" the owner a new one.
G/L, sparky!!!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Thats to bad, this is one reason my car NEVER goes to a shop. I would have ripped that guy a new one that was driving it. No excuse for that. I used to work in a shop like that and some guys just don't care about your car and will drive the hell out of it ::. I had always had 5.0's since I was 18 (almost 29 now), if I wanted to abuse a car, I would beat the hell out of mine ::.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yank it. I had a very lifted 4x4 in a trans. shop for a rebuild. A very long 3 weeks later my brother inlaw saw it at a gas station at 11pm on a saturday night being driven by the girlfriend of one of the mechanics. She said she was test driving it. I went ballistic, they got back to the shop and locked up before I got there. I couldn't get in touch with the owner till monday. He appologized, motor now knocked. Can you see me burning up just thinking about it. The owner thought it would be a good idea to fix the engine rather than being sued.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Everyones replys are very good. Maybe you could ask them (when you go pick up the car today of course) IF they couldn't just rent a machine from the machine's vendor, or, borrow one (IF they have a good relationship) with another shop in town....

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
You certainly have the right to pull the car, but like injected referred to, I wouldn't be pointing blame without first giving them the opportunity to explain why they were driving the car. Sometimes there are good reasons for things that are not immediately obvious.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Age shouldn't be an issue here. You have been a legal adult since you were 18 so you shouldn't have any problem dealing with these people like a regular paying customer. The "excuse" above about just moving the car is just that. What more conclusive proof do you need than seeing your car driving down the street. Are you going to believe the repair shop or your lying eyes? Somebody went to lunch in your car, plain and simple. They are holding your car in a simple bailment relationship and they are obligated to protect it in your absence. That does not include driving it for personal use. Unless these guys are giving you some sort of sweetheart deal on the air conditioning work, why would you leave the car with them while their machine is broken? Go get your car and take it to a reputable shop. And don't pay these guys anything. If they try to charge you an inspection fee, tell them you'll report them. AZ must have something like the Bureau of Automotive Repair that we have here in CA. You don't have to be nasty, just firm.

·
Registered
586 Posts
man I would threaten them with a lawsuit after I get my car out of there. if a lawsiut would fly or not I dunno but it could sure scare the heck out of em'.

Preston
Future NASCAR Chevy Killer & The Lord of the Dance

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If Im not mistaken, the late model computers memorize whats been going on with the car for a while.....

I'd probably take the car right away and have some other dealer somewhere a ways away see if they cant check it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts