Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Tell me why I should get GT-40P heads!

1273 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  camachinist
I haven't made a final decision on new heads for my 289, although I've been thinking
about getting my stockers reworked by PowerHeads. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't
be thinking about the GT-40P heads instead. They're almost half the cost, which I like,
but aside from that, what else have they got going for them compared to other iron heads,
(or aluminum heads for that matter)??

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT FB (project car)
Check out my band: Brickyard Blues
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that pointer Pat! Great article. As I expected, the GT-40P heads flow better
than even the Powerheads-ported stockers, but only on the intake side and only by about
8%. But the exhaust side, the Powerheads are over 12% better than the GT-40Ps! That's
kind of a surprise.

I guess, when all is said and done, I'll stick with my original plan to have Powerheads
port my stockers. I'll get better exhaust flow which will help offset the K-manifolds SWMBO
wants to use instead of tri-ys or shorties.

Thanks for the input!

Rich
'69 GT FB (project car)

· Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did see that article, and I was truly tempted, but then I used the handful of functioning brain cells I still
have and I realized:

1) Time - home porting takes a lot of time and I have to get the '67 on the road by Mother's Day (SWMBO's Day?)

2) Ooopsie! - If I screw up and bore through to a water jacket, I'm outta luck. If PowerHeads screws up,
they own the mistake and owe me a replacement.

Rich
'69 GT FB (project car)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.