Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '64 1/2 coupe for $800 :thumbsup: : 6cyl, 3-speed, low vin #(5F07U100227), Rangoon Red w/ red interior. (I have a matching red '64 1/2 convertible 289 -4speed). I wondered if it was built around the beginning of production. Date code confirmed: 09C JOB ONE! And it is never been hit, molested and only two minor rust spots in front of rear wheel wells. Floor pans are clean and covered with factory paint overspray. The car is partially dismantled, but owner says its all there. I'll drag it home when the snow is gone!
Scott
Klamath Falls, OR

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Congrats, sounds like you got one heck of a deal!

Thanks to dustyrelics on this forum, I ended up with a '70 SportsRoof for $1000. It's going to be a lot of work, but it's a pretty solid car, and a great foundation for a total restoration. I'm now planning its restoration/modifications, and have begun parts-collecting for it, even though I haven't yet finished the '65.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Too bad it's not a vert around #212, you could sell it for $5.5 million :lol:

You effing stole that thing, I got a smokin' deal on my Mustangs and it's like highway robbery in comparison, I'm jealous! ;)

My pair of 66 coupes was one of the ones that didn't get away, I got a complete red/black 66 with a fresh 289 and some fresh sheetmetal, in need of some help, and I got a well-done, rust free 66 in need of finishing, plus almost 20k in receipts and 3 van loads of NEW parts for a pittance, and now I know why no one wants other peoples' abandoned projects, I own stock in Ziploc and Tupperware. :lol:
--Kyle
PS: Welcome to the VMF, but don't tell Charles Turner you have an 09C car, or you'll burn out your camera documenting oddities! :D

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Hmmm, ones that DIDN'T get away ...

I paid $500 for my '66 coupe 10 years ago
I paid $2500 for my '69 5 years ago
$1500 for my daughter's '69 coupe 7 years ago.
$200 for my early son's '65 coupe
$3000 for his '69

Many years ago, I paid $450 for my old '66 coupe (stolen from my driveway right after I finished it, never to be seen again).

Non Mustangs:
I paid $400 for my '68 Cougar
$380 for my '72 Charger w/Big Block.

To date, the most I've ever paid for a classic was the $3k for my son's '69. My daughter called me the king of the cheap Mustang.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Here is a partial list,to tell you the truth I can't remember them all(these are in order too)
67 GTA Fastback mustang 289 hipo 3-spd(lt blue)
63 Impala SS 409 4-spd(gold)
70 Trans-Am HO-455 4-spd(dark blue)
73 vette(white)
78 King Cobra Mustang 5-spd(black/Orange decals)
70 monte Carlo SS(burnt orange)
70 Chevelle Conv't SS LS6 454 4-spd(tuxedo black/white stripes)
Mustang don't remember what year it was but it had wider front fenders and wider rear fenders on it(some kind of special edition car of some kind)had headrests with see thru mesh,had a padded roll bar(dark blue with no emblems or stripes)
75 Blazer LT1 350 "14"lift "39"Mickey thompsons(conv't fastback top)
70 Elcamino SS 454(Cranberry Red/Black stripes)
70 Chevelle Hardtop SS 396 4-spd(dark green)
70 Nomad Wagon 454(white with flames)
71 Nomad wagon 360 4X4(Jeep undercarriage)
Bradley GT 11 Kit car(gullwing doors)
69 Baja Beetle(custom paint)
70 GSX Stage 1 455(saturn yellow/Black stripes)
72 Buick GS 350 4-sd(dark green)
70 Challenger T/A(plum crazy)
69 Road Runner 383 magnum(red)
67 Chev PU short box fleetside(gumby green streetrod)
67 Chevelle SS 396 Conv't(tuxedo black)
70 Olds 442 post(custom painted Porche red)
67 RS SS Camaro Conv't 327(Marina Blue)
69 GTS Dart 340 4-spd(F8 Green)
69 GT Dart slant six(light green)
70 Cuda Conv't 318(gold)
73 Cuda 340(yellow/Black side stripes)
66 Mustang GT F/B 4-spd(Vintage Burgandy)
and my present 65 Mustang F/B 4-spd(soon to be Torch red/White lemans stripes)
like I said I am sure I might of missed a few cars.

Dave

·
Registered
935 Posts
Didn't get away ....

My first car, 1966 Coupe 289-2V, C4, PS, AC, 37,000 miles - I paid $1000 for it in 1971. Drove it for 250,000 miles, parked it when I worn out another drivetrain, suspension and brakes. Still have it and hope to put it back more original than when I got it. Someday.

Second car 1965 Fastback K-code, no accessories beyond the standard K-options. Original, never wrecked, numbers matching, running. Everything except the original carburetor. Hounded the original owner to sell it to me for over a year until he finally bought himself a better car to drive and sold me the fastback.Bought it for $500 in 1976. Still have it. Was going to be another "someday car", but have finally come to admit to myself that I will never be able to restore the car to what it should be, and will be selling it in a couple of months.

Third car, 1970 Coupe 302-2V, C4, AC, PS, PDB, not running but a decent potential driver car. Paid $500 for it in 1987. Someday this will be my daily driver with a 1987 EFI/AOD drivetrain.

Fourth car, 1967 Fastback 289-2V, C4, PS, AC, PDB, Dlx Interior with overhead & roof consoles. Rescued from idiots that were in the process of tearing it up. They wanted $500, got it for $325. "Someday" this car will get all the best goodies I have been saving for all these years and have a turbocharged 289 engine setup.

Someday.
I have decided that 2008 has to be the year that "someday" finally comes. If not, I will be having a hell of a garage sale.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Totally rustfree and superstraight '65 fastback from southern Arizona found 30 min. from my house in the rustbelt. Guy needed cash in a hurry and already had unfinished projects--7K and I drove it home, but it was what SWMBO wanted; I was dithering about it, and she told me "make it count", so we have his-n-her horses, and her horse is finally ready to be saddled, provided the global cooling here in Michigan relents in 60 days.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hey I will double your money on the k code 65 fastback :shrug: :shocked:

·
Registered
556 Posts
My 67 that I am redoing was my first car back in 1987. I bought it for $550. Can't wait to drive it again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In 2006 I bought my convertible from a co-worker. He had purchased it in 2003 from a dealer and it was cherry. He didn't take care of it and put it into storage once it quit running. He sold it to me for $900. "what he owed on it" He actually owed $2700 but didn't increase the price. The only rust on the car was behind the seats where he spilled soda and didn't clean it up.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
You're looking at both of them. The first car I ever drove, and the first car I ever bought. Doesn't get any better than that. Wait, it does. Dad was driving thru town yesterday and spent the night. I took the day off and took him for a ride in his old 68. First time he's seen it since I picked it up 2.5 years ago. And it's the first time he's seen my 67 since I got it worthy of entering car shows. Made both our days. :thumbsup:
Dave

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Meet Yellowtail. For $500 I got the car, New front and rear disc brakes still in boxes and a nice JME cluster gauge set up. Put $300 into getting the car running and sold it for $4k. Sold the brakes for $2k. Put the gauges in Red. All proceeds went to Red's paint job. :thumbup:

http://cmaynard.com/mustang/miscmustang/YellowTail/IMG_2512.JPG

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The one that didn't get away is the one my Dad found in the late 70's for $100 at a police auction. It's the same one in my signature. He also found me my first car a 68 coupe with a 289 off the original owner for $100. I had to choose between which one to keep when I got married and moved to the states. I couldn't keep both in storage, so I had to let one of them go.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
After graduating High School in 1970, I got a job right away working for the Crysler Pre-delivery center in south Chicago. So, here I am, a Fomoco guy, age 18, working on the pre-delivery of every Road Runner, AAR Cuda, Challenger RT's, Chargers, Dart & Duter 340's, oh, and way more 6 cylinder Darts than I care to remember.
And, by late in the year, I had $1800 saved up, and was thinking, well, I can get a 289 Cobra for about $2500.00
I also was watching the local paper for cool Mustangs. I noticed one ad. It said, 67 GT 350, 48,000miles, needs $275 in body work, call XXXXXXX.
Well, I didn't want a car that needed body work, so I didn't even call.
Then just after Christmas, in January of 1971, I bumped into an old pal from high school, and I mentioned that I was looking for a Shelby. He said his future brother in-law had one for sale. He gave me the phone nimber.
I called the guy, went and looked at it, liked what I saw, although it need some touch up and a waxing, put down $10.00 to bring the rest the next day. ($1490)
Nexy day: I give the fellow the balance, had him sign the title, and got the keys. He said, as I was walking out the door, "do you want this body estimate? It's for $275.00"
Yes, it was the same car I earlier did not want.
Still got it today too.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
My 68.5 Cobra Jet convertible.

Found it on ebay in 2003. Had to outbid another guy for it. I "paid too much" but I knew I would never have the opportunity to own another one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts