Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Completely new to this forum as i have just gotten my dream car which is my 1965 Mustang 289 . Although I've had it for little over 2 weeks Ive noticed every now and then the temperature will go just a little shy of three quarters on the stock temp gauge. it hasn’t ever exceed three quarters and it does go back down to half way so i know it gets coolant. It does have an brand new aftermarket 2 row aluminum radiator and its running a high flow 180 temp thermostat. Ive heard people say a high flow 195 could be best for the engine i just don’t know if that’ll fix the issue could it? I don’t know if i explained that the best way but if you guys have run into this issue before how did you guys handle it or is this normal for the older cars. Anything is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Have you verified that the gauge is reading correctly? Even try a temp gun on the intake to check if it is really getting hot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you verified that the gauge is reading correctly? Even try a temp gun on the intake to check if it is really getting hot.
i haven’t tried that mainly because i don’t have a temp gun but I think I really should make the investment.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum
It does not sound as if any damage maybe occurring, a good thing. A little more info would be great i.e. what was the temp outside, were you in heavy traffic is the coolant 50/50 and the list goes on even timing settings can effect heating issues. I had the same issue with mine and the guys walked me though it, start with the simple things. In the end I put a coolant called WETWATER and put a shroud on. Issue solved.
Put as much info/pics as you can it real helps these guys, and have they ever helped me out a lot in the last 2 years. Welcome again and good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Change the thermostat and help your engine burn off condensation and keep your oil cleaner, otherwise it just opens sooner and has nothing to do with the max temperature it attains. 3/4 on the gauge doesn't mean it's overheating. 210 to 220 is fine on a hot day. Verify your true temp with a different gauge or thermometer and if it's otherwise running fine, drive on.

Reactions: Nyckolus2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum
It does not sound as if any damage maybe occurring, a good thing. A little more info would be great i.e. what was the temp outside, were you in heavy traffic is the coolant 50/50 and the list goes on even timing settings can effect heating issues. I had the same issue with mine and the guys walked me though it, start with the simple things. In the end I put a coolant called WETWATER and put a shroud on. Issue solved.
Put as much info/pics as you can it real helps these guys, and have they ever helped me out a lot in the last 2 years. Welcome again and good luck.
Every now and then in traffic it’ll float towards three quarters on the gauge but I've read quite a bit that classic mustangs tend to run hotter in traffic and the issue does resolve itself when start driving so Im not too concerned about that unless i should be. But sometime it does have a tendency to float a little over half while driving but not to much to raise alarm. I am currently running 17" 6 blade cooling fan which i think is good, and is pretty much brand new along with my radiator is a 2 row aluminum. Im justing using a premixed 50/50 coolant and antifreeze but Im probably gonna give that WETWATER a try perhaps that can do me some justice. As well as getting a temp gun to properly diagnose the temperature issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Change the thermostat and help your engine burn off condensation and keep your oil cleaner, otherwise it just opens sooner and has nothing to do with the max temperature it attains. 3/4 on the gauge doesn't mean it's overheating. 210 to 220 is fine on a hot day. Verify your true temp with a different gauge or thermometer and if it's otherwise running fine, drive on.
She runs beautifully, and yeah I've heard a high flow 195 can have a better cycle of coolant and can evidently keep the engine cooler than what a 180 or 160 could in the long run.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
3/4 on your temp gauge does not tell you a thing (at this point). You need to measure the actual temperature. You could do a simple calibration curve. Start with the engine cold. When the needle just starts to move, measure the actual temp. When it gets to T, measure again, etc. Then you'll know the actual temp based on where your needle is.

Please put in a high temp thermostat. The only thing a thermostat does is control the minimum operating temp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3/4 on your temp gauge does not tell you a thing (at this point). You need to measure the actual temperature. You could do a simple calibration curve. Start with the engine cold. When the needle just starts to move, measure the actual temp. When it gets to T, measure again, etc. Then you'll know the actual temp based on where your needle is.

Please put in a high temp thermostat. The only thing a thermostat does is control the minimum operating temp.
Thank you i will try this when i get my gun

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
Thank you i will try this when i get my gun
My dad did this once on the family station wagon and actually used a very small paint brush and painted the temp numbers on the face of the gauge.

·
Registered
38,218 Posts
Being able to correlate the actual coolant temperature to the gauge is key. When they left the factory, the gauges were calibrated but, over the years, the bi-metal spring loses some of its "flexibility", circuit resistance can increase and sender calibrations can vary. From the factory, the mid-point on the gauge corresponded with 200*F (normal operating temperature) and the line at the end of the scale at the "hot" side was 230*F. The actual "H" was 250*F. A reading of 3/4 of the way, especially if you are stopped, idling, or in very slow traffic, especially if running A/C is perfectly normal, if the gauge is correct.

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1
7 Posts
Hey Completely new to this forum as i have just gotten my dream car which is my 1965 Mustang 289 . Although I've had it for little over 2 weeks Ive noticed every now and then the temperature will go just a little shy of three quarters on the stock temp gauge. it hasn’t ever exceed three quarters and it does go back down to half way so i know it gets coolant. It does have an brand new aftermarket 2 row aluminum radiator and its running a high flow 180 temp thermostat. Ive heard people say a high flow 195 could be best for the engine i just don’t know if that’ll fix the issue could it? I don’t know if i explained that the best way but if you guys have run into this issue before how did you guys handle it or is this normal for the older cars. Anything is appreciated.

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1
7 Posts
I would make sure you have good fitting shroud, I like the 180 degree thermostat, but make sure it's a good quality such as (FlowKooler/Robertshaw) or equivalent. Besides verifying the actual temperature, make sure the electrical connection on the sending is good and also make sure its a Motorcraft.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A fan shroud is an absolute necessity to the air flow design for directing air low through the radiator and around the engine.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Every now and then in traffic it’ll float towards three quarters on the gauge but I've read quite a bit that classic mustangs tend to run hotter in traffic and the issue does resolve itself when start driving so Im not too concerned about that unless i should be. But sometime it does have a tendency to float a little over half while driving but not to much to raise alarm. I am currently running 17" 6 blade cooling fan which i think is good, and is pretty much brand new along with my radiator is a 2 row aluminum. Im justing using a premixed 50/50 coolant and antifreeze but Im probably gonna give that WETWATER a try perhaps that can do me some justice. As well as getting a temp gun to properly diagnose the temperature issue.
Don't bother with Wetwater unless you are not using a 50/50 coolant mix.......if you have an actual issue this is not "the fix' you want to use...fix the problem

·
Registered
38,218 Posts
A fan shroud is an absolute necessity to the air flow design for directing air low through the radiator and around the engine.
A radiator fan shroud is different than a duct. It's purpose is to make the fan more efficient by mitigating the turbulence formed at the blade tips by tip vortices as the air moves outward along the blade chord.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion will definitely add it to the list on things to do. Is there any particular brand that works better than others?
This is the one I purchased.

I hope the link opens >>> Engine Fan Shroud 260/289 1965-1966

I installed it with a 6 blade flex-a-lite 1317 Blue Star stainless steel 6-blade 17" flex fan

The shroud is metal and basically the same as the original option.

I suggest the 180. It will open when the engine gets to 180 instead of waiting until it gets to 195.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
Reactions: subpar63
1 - 20 of 20 Posts