Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To avoid hijacking another thread I want to start this one.

I could have swore this port was wet, it's the back of the passenger side on an Edelbrock manifold.

It runs too cool (according to the temp gauge, Autometer analog). I was in stop and go traffic yesterday and it struggled to get to 180˚. I need to get the IR gun on the engine and see what it reads.

If there's no coolant in that area that might explain the readings. But the Autometer temp probe (analog thermistor) is pretty long so I'm limited as to where it can go.

·
Registered
41,524 Posts
SBF's have coolant passages at the back of the heads only so you can use the same head on either bank. The coolant flow is up from the block into the head and then FORWARD through the head to the front water outlet and then over the intake to the thermostat housing. If the rear water ports aren't blocked and the intake has a crossover, coolant will find the path of least resistance which can make one side run cooler than the other.

·
Registered
11,601 Posts
The temp reading at the rear of the intake won't be accurate, as it's missing all of the heat picked up as the coolant passes through the heads. I would move the sensor to the front, use a bushing as needed to allow it to fit in the crossover.

Reactions: swooshdave

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The temp reading at the rear of the intake won't be accurate, as it's missing all of the heat picked up as the coolant passes through the heads. I would move the sensor to the front, use a bushing as needed to allow it to fit in the crossover.
I need to find a coolant diagram to help me understand this better because @Woodchuck said it goes from the block to the heads. I assume this means that it comes out the front of the heads?

This is an informative post although different intake.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I have the temperature sender in the front port on my Edelbrock RPM intake. Are you not able to use this one? I do not think the rear of the intake will provide a correct reading and have never seen a temp sender installed back there.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the temperature sender in the front port on a my Edelbrock RPM intake. Are you not able to use this one? I do not think the rear of the intake is wet and have never seen a temp sender installed back there.
Do you have a long analog one or electrical? I assume you mean the place where the stock sender is?

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
622 Posts
My temperature monitor is on the port to the right of the one above. I run an edelbrock intake on a 302

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
622 Posts
Where did you run the heater hose?
On the port behind the left port next to my thermostat sensor. I run that hose in the same position as rhutt does. The other one runs from the water pump.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
On my EFI equipped 302, I run the sensors and heater like this in my Edelbrock manifold . . .
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust

gauge sensor is in the thermostat housing.

·
Premium Member
9,247 Posts
These are two locations for mechanicals....
I recently installed another mechanical temp gauge.(dash). I used these two locations for mine..
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive design
Kitchen appliance Fluid Coffeemaker Gas Auto part
Speedometer Car Odometer Tachometer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The other option would be to get a heater hose fitting with an extra port that you could use.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Do you have a long analog one or electrical? I assume you mean the place where the stock sender is?
It's an electronic Autometer. I guess your tubing might not be long enough to reach unless there's slack coiled up. I have heater hose with a shutoff valve by the thermostat and a thermometer in a port in the 5.0 Explorer/Mountaineer thermostat housing from when I atill had the Falcon cluster. Everything I have read and seen indicates this is the best location for reading coolant temp.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Coil Automotive fuel system Gas

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
I won a special award
8,957 Posts
My thermostat housing doesn’t have a port.
I use a 5.0 thermostat housing on my car that has a threaded port in it. There are traditional style SBF 45° angle thermostat housings with threaded ports on them.

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

1 - 20 of 22 Posts