Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old temp sending unit was causing my gauge to read too high. (I verified it was not correct be temporarily installing a mechanical gauge) I bought a new TSU from VA Mustang and installed it over the weekend. It is even worse!! It reads over the 'C' before I even start the engine. All the other gauges read correctly so I don't have any reason to suspect the gauge voltage regulator.

Midlife had suggested I get a Ford TSU. How can I get one of these? I suspect that all the Mustang Parts houses are selling the same one.

This is REALLY getting to be a pain!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Tim, you can try www.fomoco.com Have you verified that it is not your gauge, wiring or voltage regulator? I had a similar problem and I discovered it was my gauge that was bad.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Along the same lines--I read a post a while ago about NOT using teflon tape when installing the temp sender--Any one confirm this?--PM me with some info

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I DID use teflon tape. That's the first I've heard about that.

·
Premium Member
19,212 Posts
I'm the guy who says not to use teflon tape. Here's the reason: the ground for the TSU is from its threads into the block. Now there's a lot of folks who have used teflon tape and don't have a problem, but from an electrical point of view, there is a *possibility* of a poor ground. That will increase the resistance of the circuit, and cause a higher than normal reading.

I like the idea of swapping the wires on the oil sending unit and the TSU to isolate whether the problem is in the gauge.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Tim. I had about three senders in my 302 before I stopped using the ones from either NAPA or Kragen and bought an OEM unit. I looked for a Ford but all I could find was an AC Delco. I worked and continues to work. The replacement parts are pieces of garbage. BTW, Midlife has provided me the first logical sounding argument against using teflon tape on the senders. I still have teflon tape on mine but maybe that was a contributing factor in the bad ones I had.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Make sure you are using the correct sending unit..there are two types..one for idiot lights and one for cars with guages..I had this problem and it drove me nuts, my temp guage would peg way over to hot..and the engine was still cool..I even went the teflon/no teflon tape route..nothing worked until I installed the correct sending unit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts