Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if any of y’all have ever experienced this. My temp gage goes to hot very quickly, although the engine is never over 160-180. I bought an infrared temperature gun and checked several places on the engine and the hoses.

I also tried two different gages and two different sensors. Both went to hot fairly quickly. Could this be a wiring issue?

·
Registered
35,117 Posts
Was wondering if any of y’all have ever experienced this. My temp gage goes to hot very quickly, although the engine is never over 160-180. I bought an infrared temperature gun and checked several places on the engine and the hoses.

I also tried two different gages and two different sensors. Both went to hot fairly quickly. Could this be a wiring issue?
a. Make sure you have the CORRECT sender. I seem to recall a post a while back about someone getting a few in a row that were, perhaps, boxed wrong? Also, some senders for newer models do not use the same 73-10 ohm range.

b. Make sure you haven't swapped the temperature and oil pressure sender leads. One is RED/WHI and the other is WHI/RED. LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know, you make a good point. I have a 65 non GT but have a GT gage cluster. The gages from left to right are fuel, oil pressure, speedo, voltage, temperature. Oil pressure doesn’t seem to work. Maybe that location is supposed to be the temperature gage. ?? Lol

·
Registered
34,956 Posts
All 65 GT or deluxe interior had the 5-gauge cluster, and of course it's been a popular conversion from Day One.

As suggested above, your sender is likely at fault. All aftermarket replacements are complete crap. Pull an appropriately sized sender off a junk engine. I damaged my original in 1985, and pulled a sender off a 6 cylinder engine on a scrap pile. Still working perfectly.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
I too have a problem with a new temp sending unit. I have a very nice Stuart Warner mechanical coolant temp gauge on my car. I also have the factory temp gauge. The mechanical gauge will read 140 and the factory gauge will be almost pegged. It's pretty much useless. I was going to try another sending unit. Sounds like I shouldn't bother.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to thank y’all for the replies and let you know that I now have a working temperature gage. Yes, it was the new sender. I had a junk 360 engine from my 75 F100 and I took the sender off of it and installed it on the 289. Bingo, it worked. Gage slowly creeps up to about 1/3 the way across. And infrared temp gun shows the engine isn’t any hotter than about 180-200.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts