Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed oil pressure and water temp gauges on my 65 289. I rebuilt the engine two years ago with all performance parts for around 300HP. The radiator is a 3 row and the thermostat is 190 deg.

On the road the temp runs 195-200 at 70-80MPH but up hills rises 5-10 degrees then cools on level ground. If I nail the throttle and accelerate from for example 60 to 85 the temp immediately goes up 5-10 deg. and comes back right away once I let off the throttle. Outsude temp was 85 - 90 deg.

Once hot, if I sit at idle the temp continues to rise. After 10 minutes it got to 220 deg and I put it in neutral and revved the engine which brought the temp back down to 205-210.

My car has AC which is not connected yet. When I add the AC load the engine will run even hotter. Do I need a 4 row radiator or racing aluminum type?. Do I need to add an electric fan? Would a high volume water pump help?

Lastly, I added an overflow recovery bottle but cannot get the coolant to fill the bottle. The radiator is full to the cap when cold but the level in the bottle does not rise when hot. Since water has to expand when hot I do not understand what is happening. There are no leaks.

Thanks,

Steve D

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
The issue with freeway runs may be the lower radiator hose collapsing. Check the hose and be sure it has a spring in it.

The general hot running sounds to be the nature of the beast. Get a good electric fan (I like the SPAL 16" straight blade puller) and your problems will probably go away.

If that does not work you want to look into an aluminum radiator or a 4-row (aluminum is better).

I'd also change out the t-stat for a cooler one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got a 67, 289 and had the same problem, tried everything and nothing worked, until I was told to flush the radiator, there was the problem, now the temp is normal even with the a/c running, if you haven't flushed yours, try it. good luck. valdy.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I run my car sometimes in 100 degree heat with a 3-row, stock fan and no fan shroud. It runs fine with a 195 degree thermo stat but then again my engine is 200ci with 120HP.

With all the HP AND A/C I'd get at least the four row and a fan shroud. My six cyl tends to run on the cold side down here by the ocean so I use the 195 degree thermostat just to get the stock temp gauge needle to move at all. In my opinion you have no business running a 190 thermo. Get the 180 to start off with and check it in pan of heated water and use a candy thermometer.

Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Get a replacement radiator cap. Your coolant overflow should show a rise in level once hot, and then drop back once the engine is cool. I have no idea why your coolant overflow container isn't receiving coolant when the engine is hot, unless you have a 45 psi radiator cap, or isn't allowing coolant to puke out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts