Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to use a Champion radiator and thermostatically controlled fan to cool the 302 in the 69. I'm using an Edelbrock Performer 289 manifold. My question is where to mount the sensor for the electric fan. On the front passenger side is a port for the heater hose, on the driver's side front, there is a port for a temperature sensor for the dash gauge. Can you just add the lead for the electric fan to that sensor in addition to the gauge? Are there any other coolant ports on the manifold that would accept the fan's sensor?
Also what is a good recommendation for a quality electric fan?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You can install an additional sensor in the thermostat housing, if your housing has the top port. I don't have a fan controller, but I do have a Sniper EFI system installed that requires a similar port. In my case, I relocated the existing gauge sensor to the thermostat housing and used the abandoned port for the EFI, I also run a performer 289 manifold.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Pretty sure the sensor needs grounding, which would eliminate the heater hose. I put mine in the thermostat housing like Rhutt mentioned.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm running a Spal 16" fan on mine with a Vintage Air Adjustable Fan switch. I left my original wiring in place for my dash gauge, used the thermostat housing for my aftermarket temp gauge, and the vintage air fan switch actually threads in to the radiator petcock. Has been working perfect for about a year now. It turns the fan off about 10 degrees less than the turn on point.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can use a sensor in the heater hose using the adapter Autometer makes. Just have to run a ground wire to an engine ground. I use one on my 71 for an additional temp gauge.
heater_hose_adapter.jpg

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I am using the same concept as @rhutt for my second temperature gauge. I wanted to keep my dash stock but a more accurate reading so I added a second sensor and an additional gauge. The temperature sensor will measure a lower temperature at the beginning before the thermostat opens up. Not a problem at all for your application. I can see then my thermostat opens, which is neat.

Here a link from CJ:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The temperature sensor will measure a lower temperature at the beginning before the thermostat opens up. Not a problem at all for your application. I can see then my thermostat opens, which is neat.
Like you, I like having the dash gauge reading delayed until the thermostat actually opens and then have the gauge climb quickly, It is very easy to determine when it opens and at what temp.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
In the lower radiator hose is best from what I learned when installing one on the daughter's '66 twenty years ago. that way it is reading the temp of the water after it has been cooled and will turn the fan on if the water going into the engine is not cool enough. I got the part I used from Custom Aluminum Radiator in Kingman AZ but am not sure if they are still around.
Found this at Summit:

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
You can drill and tap the manifold, you can use a thermostat housing with a bung (won't help much if the t-stat sticks shut) or use a heater hose outlet with a bung...

Take out the shut-off valve and install a sender....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts