Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I asked about this gauge way back when and finally got around to buying myself one and using it (Tenhulzen 1100p). It seemed like a nice upgraded digital caster-camber gauge and comes with little fingers to hold it to the wheel (like at a real alignment shop), which helps negate any issues with wavy rims. Looks like this:

Unfortunately, this caster-camber gauge DOES NOT WORK on our cars! It doesn't work for measuring caster, at least. The tall arm of the tool has a slider on it for you to adjust the third finger to fit your wheel size - all the way up to 20". The problem is that the tall arm of the tool itself is a fixed length. Because our wheels are small and tires are (usually) tucked into the wheelwell pretty good, when you turn the wheels 20* to measure caster, the gauge cannot be mounted level as it runs into the fender.

Additionally, I found the fingers actually impossible to stick into the bead of the tire. I think this is likely due to my specific wheel/tire combination, which uses the narrowest possible wheel on the widest possible tire (215/65/15s on a 15x6 wheel). I think my tires are just too fat. Alternatively, maybe I'm a weeny or maybe I'm dumb or maybe both. Either way, I couldn't get them to work, effectively negating one of the big selling points of this gauge (for me). So I can't get it to stay on, I can't get it mounted, and if I hold it up to the wheel, I can't turn the wheel enough to get a caster reading.

When all is said and done, it seems like it is very nicely constructed. But it just won't work for our cars. So, don't get one :) Trying to see if I can return mine now.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Can you cut the offending piece down so it doesn't hit the fender or does that extended part above the top mount serve some other purpose?

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, unfortunately the top part is also the angle-cut part used for lining up the wheel at a 20* angle to measure caster! Rough.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last I heard, the spindle mount type alignment tools didn't work with the styled steel wheels. Supposedly, you could get it to work if you pull off the wheel, pull of the center caps, pull off the grease cap, remove the spindle nut, make a spindle nut adapter, put the wheel back on, put on the spindle nut adapter, THEN stick the magnetic thing to it. And once you're done... well, pull off the spindle nut adapter, pull off the wheel, retorque the spindle nut correctly, put the grease cap back on, put the center caps back on, put the wheel back on. At that point, my motivation to do my own alignment would be exactly zero. If that's not true of the styled steel wheels I'd like to know, but no one I've spoken with has used one with them.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Can you return it? Too bad it can't be at least modded to fit. I use the Fas Trax tool which is pretty similar. Not quite as big I think, maybe a little harder to use but I'll bet it works the same way. It doesn't have anything that sticks out over the tire so doesn't hit anywhere.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Looks like you're having the same trouble as the guys on this link. (Skip to around 14:40) Try calling the manufacture and see if they carry longer pins as well.

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
this is why i suggest people buy one of these instead;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-78260
That's what I have, works very well. And I have the 3 arm accessory for wheels that don't have easy access for the magnetic attachment method.

The Tenhulzen toe tool does work really well and I can certainly reccomend it, although I do still use the string method for sentimental reasons, besides its faster and with a little practice, just as accurate as using tape measures.

Z

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yeah, I have the magnetic one like the link above. On your original post I made the comment about the magnetic one not working well due to size of the center hole in our rims. I have to switch to different rims and remove bearing cap to use my tool, but that is all. I just use a pair of extra rims and tires that i have in the shop.

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
As Z mentioned, you need this with the Longacre gauge?

Longacre Caster Camber QuickSet Adapter 78428

EDIT: you did see Tom's (Huskinhano) large write up on alignments right? I believe he uses the Longacre product.

Pat, yes it is a Longacre. It's rebadged as a Goracin brand. What I really like about it was the 140° angle on the end gives you the needed 20° angles. The other thing I like is the spindle is true. I started to make something like the Tenhulzen but with the steel wheels I had at the time I found it was impossible to get consistent readings if I tried a different spot as a test. Garbage bags make great slip sheets under the tires while working on the alignment.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, I have read that post by Tom a million times! ;) It's a great one.

Sanch - yes, the problem those guys had in the video is exactly the problem I was having for the exact same reasons! I suppose I could maybe find some longer arms for it, but I don't see any on Tenhulzen's website.

At any rate, my new solution is to take advantage of Coupster's generosity and borrow his magnetic spindle mounted gauge and rims! ;) I'm excited to try it out and see if I can get a good reading off of it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts