Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the centersection laying on the floor, both axles stuck in it with no housing, and I have the yoke locked tight so it dont move. Now can I just put a pipewrench on the drivers axle and see if I can break It loose or not? Am I on the right track? I have 2 9" posi's that Im going to put up for sale and want to know if they have good torque and can be installed as is or if they need rebuild. Thanks...

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The Ford shop manuals say's that with one tire on the floor,and with a tool that centers the torque wrench with the axle on the raised side. The constant torque required to spin the tire should be at least 40 ft lbs. It also say's that the break away torque may be greater.
I hope that this helps.
Hey did you ever end up using the Versailes rear end?

·
Registered
691 Posts
It's going to be hard to get a good feel of the resistance being on the floor like this. That is if your trying to use a torgue wrench to get a reading. BUt "generaly" as a rule of thumb, if you have a lot of resistance the way your going about it, they are probably Ok? I have rebuild 100's and 100's of these, and nearly all of them need clutches to bring them back specs. The biggest thing you need to look for is to check the clutch cover around the ring gear bolts, for cracks. taks some brake clean and inspect real good. The factory cover is very prone to crack. If there is any things I can be of help with, please write, [email protected] Denver

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I think the actual torgue to break the clutches loose is arouond 200 ftlb? Maybe even more like 275 ftlb.

When checking I would hold one axle in place not the pinion and then apply the rotational force to the other axle and see what you get.

One can shim a unit to obtain a higher breaking torue reading but be careful of the total stack hight because you could exceed the inside hight allowance. Sometimes a shim or two can bring a used unit back to life for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey the Versi rear ended up in a $40,000 Cobra kit car!!! Too bad it wasn't mine...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts