Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called a guy about putting some Flo's and turndowns on my Coupe. He stated that the car would not pass inspection. Mind you my boyfriend just had turndowns put on his car frickin' YESTERDAY and no one said anythign about passing inspection.

Does anyone know whether or not this is correct?
I do not need to get an inspection sticker because of the age of the car, but I don't know whether to trust this guy (turn downs are a lot less expensive then tail pipes, and I suspect he would also try to sell me a catalytic converter). Being the hot chick that I am http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/Bizkit/sweat.gif I just assume not be hassled when I get the mufflers put on.

Wha'd ya think?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
By turndowns I suppose that they are extending past the passenger compartment!!?? The only regs I have had to deal with are that they have no leaks, extend past the passenger compartment and have muffler(s). But they did pass my 83 5.0
that has duals with a turndown about the middle of the rear seat. This is on your 66 right?
Bruce (East Texas)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bet the muffler guy you talked to has no idea about pre smog cars. Last time i got my car inspected (69 Mach) it went something like..
right blinker...check
left blinker.....check
brake lights...check
lights.............check
PASS!
Maybe, just maybe, if i had exhaust stacks coming out the top of my hood they might have said something. But I do have flows on there right now and they didn't check or care. I have also found (with a newer mustang) that the locals who will sell you off-road exhaust systems...usually know the best places to get them inspected too.
Good Luck!

G

·
0 Posts
I've been meaning to ask you guys about the inspection thing. I have had some trouble the last three years getting my 73 mustang inspected because I no longer have the stock air cleaner on.

Does anyone know the regulations on this in Texas?

·
Registered
698 Posts
The inspection person you are taking it to is just not very knowledgable. Cars over 25 years old need nothing more than a safety inspection. (Read post above, it is a very accurate example of what my car went through) I went to a local shop and talked to the owner about them before I brought him my car. I knew what the rules were, I just wanted to make sure he did. I don't even think they opened my hood for my inspection, why would they for a safety inspection?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently 68 is the magic year for exhaust/emmissions equiptment. You need to find a garage where they do not know what was stock in 73 or if you have a newer more efficient air cleaner, that is supposed to be ok too.

I could find nothing in writing concerning the turndowns.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Check out "ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/vtr/vtr-54.pdf" and if you fit the restrictions of this type plate it is only $10 a year registration and you are EXEMPT from both safety AND emissions testing!! You can use a correct year vintage plate on the car also as I have. Good deal! ::

·
Premium Member
6,557 Posts
During my last inspection in Dallas TX, (66 Mustang)I noticed the inspector squiming around in the front seat, looking for something. I asked what he needed, and he told me he was looking for the hood release. ::

1 - 9 of 9 Posts