Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to thank all my Mustang Forum buudies who help me in diagnosing the issue with the shorting wires under dash in my 65 mustang. The brake light switch was faulty and shorting out, we replaced and all is new, so thanks for all your advice!!
New issue that i am sure all of you are fairly familiar with or had some issues, Vapor Lock in the fuel line, my car stalled after stop and go traffic for about 45 minutes and would not start, i knew it was vapor lock because it happen a couple of times before, this time I poured cold water on the fuel line and started right up.
Any suggestions I have heard this does happen becuase of the new fuel these days, any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
You can insulate your fuel line and if it is rubber, get a steel line. If you have headers, have them coated with a ceramic coating. Have louvers punched into the rear portion of the hood to vacate the hot air. Adjust the hood so that the rear part is raised about an inch. Or use non-ethanol gas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can insulate your fuel line and if it is rubber, get a steel line. If you have headers, have them coated with a ceramic coating. Have louvers punched into the rear portion of the hood to vacate the hot air. Adjust the hood so that the rear part is raised about an inch. Or use non-ethanol gas.
weel
well it is a steel line, do not wan to put louvers in the hood to take away from originality and non-ethanol gas is impossible to find near me.

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
Wooden clothes pins on the steel fuel line to absorb the heat. At least that's what we did 50+ years ago before there was any ethanol in the gas.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Non ethanol gas? It could help.

·
Registered
35,478 Posts
Grab a bag of these at WalMart and attach in a line from the carburetor back toward the pump...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Grab a bag of these at WalMart and attach in a line from the carburetor back toward the pump...

View attachment 761564
lol... OP seems to be concerned with an original look... not sure these will fit the bill. I'll bet they'll work nicely tho. Maybe as good as the clothes pins.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
A long steel coil such as a spring wrapped around it would increase cooling surface area and might be a little more attractive than binder clips, if the original appearance wasn't a necessity.
BUT, a healthy cooling system, the right ignition timing and steel fuel lines should be sufficient.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
They act as a heat sink to pull heat from the steel lines and dissipate it. Going this route would be cheap and easy to verify it is indeed vapor lock, and not an ignition coil going bad or something else amiss.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They act as a heat sink to pull heat from the steel lines and dissipate it. Going this route would be cheap and easy to verify it is indeed vapor lock, and not an ignition coil going bad or something else amiss.
Knapper thanks....but here is the symptons...never happens on long highway rides, only happens in when i am in stop and go for a while. Also this last time it started happening after i left stop and go traffic, hit the accelerator and statted sputtering, like iot want getting gas, it continued to happen when i hit accelator on and off until it finally died and i waitied 45 miutes and it started up. I did por cold water on the fuel line after 45 minutes as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts