Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on some very good feedback I got in my email and a fruitful conversation with the machine shop selling them...

I just bought a set of 351c D3VE open chamber heads.
2.38 intake 1.63 exhaust valve size. SI Stainless Valves, 3 angle valve job, springs good to .6 lift 75cc chamber. I didn't know that there were different size valves in the heads accordig to the year, but someone mentioned that to me, and sure enough, the other set I was considering had much smaller valves.

This should bring my monster pinging problem under control and get my compression to about 10.7:1 which is alot more realistic for a street car than the 12.5-13:1 which is what I ended up with due to the machine shop debacle of milling my pistons for open heads and not closed heads like I 'had'.

This should also help boost my low Dyno numbers. As some of you may recal I dynoed with 290 RWHP out of my 410 stroker.....which seemed way low. Hopefully now I can get closer to that 400 RWHP goal that I set out to achieve 12 months ago.

Thanks to all in the forum who helped me come to the choice on heads and who offered some really nice heads to me for very good pricing. This forum trully is a great place and I think I got a great deal on these heads partially because of the forum. 70Stroker, Lman, mstgjoe, Fordnut, 1970Boss, Billgear, Bosssman, the list goes on off peeps that I wanna send a shout out to. Thank you all.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I am still waiting to hear about the condition of the block. I am hopefull the bad heads were a pre-existing condition and the good old head gasket blow saved any damage to the block

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both of them are cracked. One significantly worse than the other requiring replacement. The machinist siad he could weld them up but they wouldn't be any good for a motor other than stock. So I needed to buy new heads. I had my old ones cc'ed and contacted my piston Manufacture to make sure I got the right CC heads to make the 10.5:1 they built my pistons for and found out they used a 78cc chamber to come up with the number (which is a bone stock 4v open head) so I had to change the type of head I was looking for.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
2.38 intake 1.63 exhaust valve size.

Strange...
Those heads came with 2.19I, 1.7E

The 2V head came with 1.6E

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
My reference gives the casting numbers for open chamber "C" 4V heads as follows;
D1ZE-DA
D1ZE-GA

Are these modified 2V heads?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NO...I just talked to the guy.
It was a typo supposidly.

d3ze-aa 1973 open chambers

I don't think 460 heads would fit

·
Registered
21,640 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Everyone I've ever met from the VMF in person has just been super! And some that I have not have made indelable memories for their generosity! Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Do yourself a favor... when you get that thing back together, keep it under 6500 on the dyno....

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
And I have a reference that says:
3514V Open Chamber CJ 71-74 Q code:
1971-1972 D1ZE-DA *
1973-74 D3ZE-AA *
* Note -DA heads use 351 4V std valves
-AA uses 2V size.
It shows 4V=2.198/1.715
2V=2.050/1.659

Hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
In a real set of coincidences, I went out to the back shelf and pulled my early 70s Cleveland stuff.
1st one off the rack is a D3ZE. I look on another runner.
It's marked AA.
I measure the intake and it's 2.05.

Well I'll be...

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The casting almost seems irrelavant. These are heads coming from a race type machine shop and are "set up"

They have a warranty and a gaurantee. I plan on having my local machine shop look them over and they agreed to a cheap price since they are doing the rest of my work.

If they are not as advertised....they will go back.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Ok, just keeping an EYE out for you -- you've had an incredible string of bad luck.
Don't need wrong valve size on top of everything else!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.