Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to take a moment to thank a couple of "key" members that helped me with a first for me. Thank you to ken_schall and mustangpainter (and several others) to help me through some many painting questions. As most of you know, painting is one of the higher costs we can occur....I made up my mind, come hell or high water that money will be "better spent". I started with repainting the inner fender lips in front and under hood. I also re-did the engine bay, bead blasted horns, original hood hinges, latch and misc other parts. Then I moved to the passanger door, and rocker. Just rubbed out fresh paint tonight....and it's pretty tough to spot the repair. I'm blending to 12 year old paint, likely a year or so I'll get it all.

I shot the rocker and lower door section, just below stripe from fender to 1/2 way down the door. It may look like some color issues to some, but this paint reflects light and a slight angle difference will do that. Compare to above stripe...you see the same thing, and it's is all the same original paint.

I had to rework the door corner (bubbles), and bring back the body line that was lost from the "restoration shop" 12 years ago.

Anyway...thanx guys...I now can move forward with enough confidence to be dangerous. :biggrin:
:highfive:

http://www.ppdbillet.com/69%20Mach%201/IMG_4240.jpg http://www.ppdbillet.com/69%20Mach%201/Pass-Door-Rocker.jpg

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I like when someone preserves a car rather than just redoing it!! Nice work, it looks great!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will always attempt to fix rather then replace, if at all practical. Thought about replacing the mirrors, the glass had a couple of small chips and years of general wear. I decided to fix and keep stock, had new glass cut and now as good as new, cost $25.00 (for 2) and a couple hours labor to refinish. :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Very nice. Well done

·
Registered
362 Posts
Kevin

That is really impressive. Car looks like it just came off the showroom floor! You ought to do a step-by-step set of instructions for us dummies.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Wow, it all looks great! And it's nice to hear you're keeping it a driver!
By the way - what color are those Mach I stripes? They look silver or gray in the pics (and I know those weren't choices)...

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Very nice!
And I was just about to ask the same question as Dan. Is it just the angle/reflection of the pic, or is that really a silver stripe?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way - what color are those Mach I stripes?
Those are actually the original style black with gold stripes with the raised Mach inlays (tough to find but still avalable). They are the 3M reflective type, and the flash I used in pic set off the reflection that changes color at angles.

They are the same stripes you see here at a different angle. 69 mach stripes

Now you guys got me thinking...hmmmm silver stripes...I think I like them better with the silver look....ut oh. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Now you guys got me thinking...hmmmm silver stripes...I think I like them better with the silver look...
How' bout a rich charcoal gray stripe with red lettering?

I'm thinking of changing my white rocker stripe to a gray (to match the TorqThrust wheels I've added).

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How' bout a rich charcoal gray stripe with red lettering?
I saw a pastel grey 69 like mine this summer, with the red stripe, and red interior...I did not like the red with the blackout hood...a bit too busy, plus I plan to go to Magnum 500's so the "light or chrome and black" will carry thru to the ground. :biggrin:

I think the grey / silver would look good on your car, but keep it a lighter shade IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts