Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I ordered a complete TMI upholstery set for Diane and when it arrived today it was the wrong color. I immediately called the Ocala office and was basically brushed off (rudely) by the counter person. I emailed them and in less than a half hour I got a reply from Rick. He assured me that they would be correcting their error at once. I've never had service like that before from any other company. To say I'm amazed and impressed is the understatement of the year. Thanks, Rick! I'm a NPD customer for life! 馃憤馃憤

Premium Member
Great guy and company. I am actually surprised that your issue went past the phone call. I am guessing that will be addressed in one fashion or another. It鈥檚 experiences like these that remind me why I should be happy to pay a couple bucks more...and sometimes even less.

Premium Member
I meant to edit not quote myself...although I have heard I repeat myself.
Stil learning the new and improved forum format and there apparently is no way to delete a post once you鈥檝e made it.

Vendor
A few days ago, I ordered a complete TMI upholstery set for Diane and when it arrived today it was the wrong color. I immediately called the Ocala office and was basically brushed off (rudely) by the counter person. I emailed them and in less than a half hour I got a reply from Rick. He assured me that they would be correcting their error at once. I've never had service like that before from any other company. To say I'm amazed and impressed is the understatement of the year. Thanks, Rick! I'm a NPD customer for life! 馃憤馃憤
Thank you for the nice post!! For those who may be wondering, DustoffMedic ordered the correct set of upholstery online.. But apparently, our employee who transcribes the online orders into our offline operating system (it's how we defend ourselves from being hacked, but a new integral and secure system is getting close to finished) FAT-FINGERED the color-code for the upholstery, changing it from black to red.

So it was 100% our fault.

The sales person on the phone, I am sure, made the assumption that it was the customer's mistake.. Because it is SO COMMON that people carelessly load incorrect products into their shopping carts and check-out without carefully reading the full description and application information. We deal with it daily, people ordering a 67-68 bumper for their 65, a dash harness for idiot lights instead of gauges, etc.etc... (which is why I still love it when folks call their orders in ;) ;) )...

But this was not one of those cases. And NEVER is there an excuse for a staff member to be rude or dismissive.

We never know the full story until we have IT pull the raw data off the web, the actual shopping cart that the customer submitted, to know "who screwed up". Our sales person should have immediately sought that out, taken that step, and he/she would have realized that we goofed.

I saw the email regarding this, literally, as I was grabbing my keys to leave for the day.. Glad I saw it, and figured it out, so that you weren't stewing/steaming on it overnight.

So again to you Tom, I apologize!! Luckily, we have the set you ordered in-stock as well, so we'll get it all mopped up for you quickly. Thanks again!

Rick
NPD

Registered
A truly honest & professional response. This is when you know you are dealing with a serious company. NPD is my one stop shop for life! Living in Germany nothing here comes even close to the level of competence I've got to know from Rick & the staff at NPD. From shipping to my doorstep just 8, yes eight days. Stunning!

Registered
I ordered a bolt kit years ago. When I finally got around to using it I realized it was the wrong year kit. I didn't notice before because the NPD sticker was stuck over the label that identified the year. NPD took care of it even though I'd already opened some of bags and the order was years old. NPD is #1 in service. Their catalogs are nice too. You probably want to call them and/or check the catalog if you're looking for a part on their website and don't see it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the nice post!! For those who may be wondering, DustoffMedic ordered the correct set of upholstery online.. But apparently, our employee who transcribes the online orders into our offline operating system (it's how we defend ourselves from being hacked, but a new integral and secure system is getting close to finished) FAT-FINGERED the color-code for the upholstery, changing it from black to red.

So it was 100% our fault.

I saw the email regarding this, literally, as I was grabbing my keys to leave for the day.. Glad I saw it, and figured it out, so that you weren't stewing/steaming on it overnight.

So again to you Tom, I apologize!! Luckily, we have the set you ordered in-stock as well, so we'll get it all mopped up for you quickly. Thanks again!

Rick
NPD
Again Rick, thanks so much for your incredible attention to this. I received a UPS return label this morning and I couldn't be more satisfied with you and NPD. This is an example of a company actually caring about its customers.

Registered
@69bossnine

I haven't ordered anything from NPD yet (trust me, I will be ordering) but a couple things I wish they had were more kits (for example a front suspension kit) so you don't have to dig through all of the parts and not know what you are missing. Next would be enhanced descriptions of the parts. Some of them are vague or non-existent.

My ideal Mustang supplier would have good/better/best offerings. Best being concours and good being standard replacement parts. Better could be aftermarket "enhanced" parts (i.e tubular LCAs).

Right now when I go through categories like the sheet metal there is no way to tell what is the difference between the same items. If you are lucky it might tell you the metal thickness but then it doesn't tell you what the stock thickness should be.

I should volunteer to be the merchandiser...

Vendor
@69bossnine

I haven't ordered anything from NPD yet (trust me, I will be ordering) but a couple things I wish they had were more kits (for example a front suspension kit) so you don't have to dig through all of the parts and not know what you are missing. Next would be enhanced descriptions of the parts. Some of them are vague or non-existent.
Kits can be a bit of a "trap". We've dabbled in them here and there lately (there are indeed more kits in our catalog). But larger/comprehensive kits typically have the following inherent problems 1. Many competitors seed their kits with el-cheapo contents to make the price seem attractive and "a deal" for a full kit. Even when they advertise a brand-name for the major items (like TMI and ACC in interior kits for instance), they short-cut you on the details, with generic fasteners and low-end small components and foam where there's no brand-expectation. It's a mine field. 2. Kits make all the decisions for you.. Like you said, you like to choose between "good/better/best". If you buy a kit, the choices are already made for you on everything. 3. What if you don't need everything that's in the kit? You're forced to pay for stuff you never needed.

A restoration is an enormous and time-consuming and expensive process. And the end result should be both a source of pride, and a reflection of quality. Taking the time to properly pick/choose your parts, instead of saving a bit of time in the pursuit of "convenience", is a wise thing to do.

My ideal Mustang supplier would have good/better/best offerings. Best being concours and good being standard replacement parts. Better could be aftermarket "enhanced" parts (i.e tubular LCAs).
That is precisely what we do, IF there is also a respective difference in price between good/better/best. When there is not, when the selection of reproductions available on the market are all within the same basic "ballpark" of pricing, we don't bother carrying the junk, we just offer one choice, the best choice in our opinion. Calling aftermarket/performance stuff "better" is subjective and would be a bit confusing.. We don't confuse it with stock replacement parts. Lastly, for many parts, choices do not exist.

Right now when I go through categories like the sheet metal there is no way to tell what is the difference between the same items. If you are lucky it might tell you the metal thickness but then it doesn't tell you what the stock thickness should be.
Sheet metal, especially, is the biggest mine-field in the industry. We have it figured out, from a standpoint of best-quality-sourcing, better than anyone else, IMHO...

That said, it's difficult to provide information that is not provided by our manufacturers in the first place. That's a large mountain to climb... And sometimes the differences are very "nuanced", difficult to explain, and sometimes subjective. Usually the price-point is the key indicator though.

Keep in mind that we have over 120,000 products to manage. Our main priority is having the best-sourcing nailed-down. Providing you with more information to buy is also a priority, but it can be catch-22.. Sometimes the thinner panel on the market is the crisper stamping and superior fit. But if we give you a spec sheet, you'll defer to the thicker/crappier panel on our competitors' websites every time.

You're right, we need more information. That's a job that if you took the position today, you'd still be researching and typing 10 years from now, and still not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. In the meantime, our goal is REPUTATION, and actually earning that reputation by providing the best quality available, regardless of whether it's spelled-out on the website or not.

We can make promises, and conjure up flowery descriptions and impressive spec-sheets all day long. But at the end of the day, if the parts that come in the boxes and go on your car aren't the best they can be, then all of that descriptive content doesn't add up to a hill of beans. So we're continuing to work on the descriptive, but highest-priority is maintaining the sourcing behind the scenes.

Hope that all made sense! LOL

Rick
NPD

Premium Member
swooshdave- I might add that a call to NPD will usually be the best course of action. Unless something has changed recently, the people you talk to are very knowledgeable about the various options and can direct you to the best choice for your needs.

I am in the process of making a list of all the sheet metal I am going need, ranging from a full floor assembly, wheelhouses, radiator support, etc.. My plan is to call and order each piece individually based on best fit, construction and correct appearance. Not all the pieces will be from the same manufacturer and I suspect the knowledgeable sales people will suggest associated items that I may be overlooking.

The idea of calling an English speaking rep that can walk me through it, rather than me having to research and make interpretations , appeals greatly to me.

Registered
Rick,
As soon as you guys start selling Pinto and/or Ranchero (72-up) parts you have a guaranteed customer in me.
Russ

Registered
A restoration is an enormous and time-consuming and expensive process. And the end result should be both a source of pride, and a reflection of quality. Taking the time to properly pick/choose your parts, instead of saving a bit of time in the pursuit of "convenience", is a wise thing to do.

Hope that all made sense! LOL

Rick
NPD
AMEN!

Allen

Registered
We deal with it daily, people ordering a 67-68 bumper for their 65, a dash harness for idiot lights instead of gauges, etc.etc... (which is why I still love it when folks call their orders in ;) ;) )...
You would laugh at the pile of parts I have from you guys that for one reason or another I ordered incorrectly or too many of! My better half is not impressed but who knows maybe one day I'll buy a car so I can use the parts...

Really great to know you guys put thought into what parts you carry, thank you.

Perhaps not the best place to ask and I'll try to give you guys ring but, would you be able to confirm if any of the seat belt bolts on your site are grade 8 or higher steel? Examples:

I'm not looking for concours correct necessarily, it's more for safety than anything.

Registered
I have spent a few dollars at NPD and I had one issue with some missing parts. One email and it was all taken care of by Rick. Needed to return a part and it was handled with the same positive experience. I was dealing with Andrew on the return/exchange and I was very pleased with it all.

Registered
Because it is SO COMMON that people carelessly load incorrect products into their shopping carts and check-out without carefully reading the full description and application information.

Rick
NPD
Yup! This is how I end up with three sets of brake pads and three sets of power steering pump rebuild kits. I'm logged into the website form three different computers and apparently add things to the cart for all three computers, hence my duplicate orders.

With that said, I have NEVER had any issues sending the over-ordered parts back. Always had speedy credit. Hopefully I have learned my lesson and will check my cart before I push send!

Keep up the good work Rick!

Registered
Kits can be a bit of a "trap". We've dabbled in them here and there lately (there are indeed more kits in our catalog). But larger/comprehensive kits typically have the following inherent problems 1. Many competitors seed their kits with el-cheapo contents to make the price seem attractive and "a deal" for a full kit. Even when they advertise a brand-name for the major items (like TMI and ACC in interior kits for instance), they short-cut you on the details, with generic fasteners and low-end small components and foam where there's no brand-expectation. It's a mine field. 2. Kits make all the decisions for you.. Like you said, you like to choose between "good/better/best". If you buy a kit, the choices are already made for you on everything. 3. What if you don't need everything that's in the kit? You're forced to pay for stuff you never needed.
It's simple, you offer a kit, and you offer the individual parts. They aren't mutually exclusive. No trap. But it makes it more frictionless for your customers.

Which is all the better reason to provide you customers with the best information possible. Sure it would be nice to call NPD and talk to someone for hours but not everyone has that luxury. When I do have time it's after hours and the internet is my best source for research.

That is precisely what we do, IF there is also a respective difference in price between good/better/best. When there is not, when the selection of reproductions available on the market are all within the same basic "ballpark" of pricing, we don't bother carrying the junk, we just offer one choice, the best choice in our opinion. Calling aftermarket/performance stuff "better" is subjective and would be a bit confusing.. We don't confuse it with stock replacement parts. Lastly, for many parts, choices do not exist.

Sheet metal, especially, is the biggest mine-field in the industry. We have it figured out, from a standpoint of best-quality-sourcing, better than anyone else, IMHO...
Ok, here's an example that is confusing, at least to me. Two items, same price, one has apparently more parts included? Looking at these which would you pick? Certainly the description isn't much help. https://www.npdlink.com/1965-1973-mustang/body-exterior/body-parts-and-sheet-metal/floor-pans-extensions

Here's where a simple Good and Best would work.

That said, it's difficult to provide information that is not provided by our manufacturers in the first place. That's a large mountain to climb... And sometimes the differences are very "nuanced", difficult to explain, and sometimes subjective. Usually the price-point is the key indicator though.

You're right, we need more information. That's a job that if you took the position today, you'd still be researching and typing 10 years from now, and still not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...
Sounds like job security for someone!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts