Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the mechanical part of my restore is about complete I have been driving my Mustang a lot the last few months almost daily. Well the baby has been back in the shop for the last three weeks waiting for some parts and I really miss it.

But whenever I think about it I can almost smell it. I don't know exactly what makes up that "OLD CAR" or perhaps more correctly "MUSCLE CAR" smell but I miss it.

Perhaps it is the smell of the slightly rich exhaust combined with the chemicals released from the carpet, upholstery and paint with just a pinch of iron oxide.

Anyone else love their Muscle Car smell?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I wonder if you did a full rotisserie resto, put together with all new parts, if it would have that smell. I think not, and what fun is that?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yeah, it's like a musty smell probably from the carpet and sound deadening stuff that got wet at some point. Old VW's have a very distict smell to them too. It's a vinyl and that crazy straw like seat stuffing smell.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Mine has a definite smell to it too and it's not good. Mine sat in a garage on a farm for 17 years before I got it and it STUNK! I must have vacuumed out a gallon of rat turds from every nook and cranny I could get to. I took out all the interior except for the carpet and scrubbed it. It's gotten a lot better, but now, every time I drive it and its warmed up, when I pull it back in the garage, it's just got a weird musty smell that fills the garage. Sometimes I wonder if the rats left droppings inside the muffler and they get warmed up when I drive it.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
My 1953 Buick Super has an awesome smell. It's not musty or "used," it's classy and pleasant. It brings me back to when I was younger and visiting my grandmother's house. The Buick would be under a bunch of sheets and my brother and I would poke our heads in the door to smell it.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
Both of my interiors where restored in the same way and yet, each has a very different, yet distinct smell. I love them both.
Dave

·
Registered
503 Posts
through the last 5 cars i've had in my garage,all with new complete interiors and paint,they all had a similar scent,BUT not the same.each one is special and different.even my wife can tell the difference!

·
Registered
583 Posts
yep, gasoline, engine/ gear fluids, metal,and sweat (possibly tears but not many) yep like that smell it can not be reporduced in new car. I also like the load metal drone from the exhaust.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I love the smell I think its a mixture of the carburetor, exhaust and all the fluids the fumes leak into the interior cabin from factory holes etc... and settle inside the car. A good smell :)

I just did this real quick,
they should sell these for new cars

so a honda civic will smell like a muscle car LOL

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I know what smell you guys are talking about. Mine has always had it even after a we installed a completely new interior. Its a little different but is still there. I love that smell.

I agree with the sounds. Thats why I only used factory type insulation. I like the old car sounds. What fun is a new car with 100 lbs on dynamat?

I wanted to retain the nostalgic feel.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Mine smelled like moth balls when I got it. Since i replaced the carpet that smell is long gone. But every time I smell moth balls now (not from the car) it brings back great memories of when I first got it. Feel like I'm 16 again. I now like the smell of moth balls!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mine smelled like moth balls when I got it. Since i replaced the carpet that smell is long gone. But every time I smell moth balls now (not from the car) it brings back great memories of when I first got it. Feel like I'm 16 again. I now like the smell of moth balls!
Hope the moth doesn't mind....

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Mine has a definite smell to it too and it's not good. Mine sat in a garage on a farm for 17 years before I got it and it STUNK! I must have vacuumed out a gallon of rat turds from every nook and cranny I could get to. I took out all the interior except for the carpet and scrubbed it. It's gotten a lot better, but now, every time I drive it and its warmed up, when I pull it back in the garage, it's just got a weird musty smell that fills the garage. Sometimes I wonder if the rats left droppings inside the muffler and they get warmed up when I drive it.
Last summer I cleaned up a convertible that had been stored for years. Stunk. There were mouse nests inside all the seats, so I had to take them apart. Lots of shop vac, spray disinfectant, even water and scrubbing. First time I ever used a hose on a door panel. The weirdest part was the framing of the trunk lid was full of mouse nest. Took an hour with an air gun and wire hooks to clean it out.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Last summer I cleaned up a convertible that had been stored for years. Stunk. There were mouse nests inside all the seats, so I had to take them apart. Lots of shop vac, spray disinfectant, even water and scrubbing. First time I ever used a hose on a door panel. The weirdest part was the framing of the trunk lid was full of mouse nest. Took an hour with an air gun and wire hooks to clean it out.
Interesting. I probably need to did a little deeper into the nooks and crannies.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,667 Posts
I like to think that my car smells like gasoline, old metal and age, wisdom, and defiance :lol: No matter what, it will probably always smell the same. I think it's one of the greatest smells ever.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mm. Pine-pollen, old gunk-adhesive, and stale gasoline was the first scents I remember out of mine, with just a little of that pungent aroma a little dry-molding brings, and a touch of the sunlight as it dried out the carpet. Not bad, really. Though my favorite scent for the car is the rich exhaust and thick choke of a nice Cohiba as I drove it for the first time around town, just to cruise. 'Hello-Again' on the iPod in the passenger seat almost drowned by that pukey 200, the rev-pause in the crapped-out C-4. A thick cigar in my teeth and odd looks from strangers as I cruised around in the 'Grey Ghost' primer. With one door missing.

Ah. Memories.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts