Vintage Mustang Forums banner

@thatgreen66yote Coyote Swap Thread

44K views 599 replies 30 participants last post by  Anangryford 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting a build thread for the first time to document progress and get advise from the many on here who have dealt with the issues posed by this swap. My car has the second generation MII Heidts front end in it with an SBF and a t5 right now. Fueling is from tanks inc injection tank and Pimpxs. I mini tubbed it and installed an SoT 3 link, 9" with 3.89's and truetrac last year. Here in the planned parts list as of now.

Gen 3 mustang coyote(new or used not sure yet)

Vintage air front runner(not sure if I will be running a driven PS pump or Volvo electric)

T56 wide ratio with QT bell, 1330 yoke, clutch fork (will be here next week)

Running a cable for the clutch right now since I already have it. May go to hydraulic if the pedal is too stiff.

Ford control pack

Flywheel

Clutch

Pilot

Trans tunnel

Driveshaft will be Sot

Will run Manual brake's for now. Probably wilwood MC

Headers are TBD

Oil cooler nonsense is TBD

Radiator and fan are TBD

Seems daunting. Here is the car as it sits:

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

See less See more
#376 ·
I find 426whp respectable considering Ford rates the Gen3 at 460. I’m sure with the swap you are tad more than 460 at the flywheel to garnish 426 at the wheels. I too am interested if you purchased an OBD interface/tuner and brand/Dyno cost. Also, what rpm were your numbers from? I’ve spoken to LUND racing but haven’t committed just yet.
Car looks great as well as stance👍 (maybe they have it cranked down in the rear but I like it…. 😄)

Thanks Angry

#375 ·
So I see you used Modern Performance Tuning in Glendale AZ. How was your experience with them? I am in Prescott and I will need to have my Coyote tuned in 2024. Looking for recommendations as there is nothing up here. Also, if you don't mind sharing what the cost was? I believe you have to buy a tuner as well as pay for their labor.

#377 ·
Wow! You found a Ford friendly place with a dyno! That would never happen around here. The car looks and sounds awesome!

#383 ·
My car is just legal with the Magnaflows but I hate the sound when compared to the illegal Arvindode exhaust I had previously. The car has more power with a 2 1/2 inch exhaust and the Magnaflows but it sounds like an old man farting.(n)

#400 · (Edited)
So, I have been driving the car around a bit (50 miles). The car didn’t stop as well as I wanted, so I put some ebc pads on it. They don’t feel any better yet but they’re not bedded in and the break in coating is still there.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

I also added spacers to the front for 2 reasons. Increased turning radius and to see how wide I can get away with in case my next suspension has a wider track width. They’re 20mm.
Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Motor vehicle

Today I replaced my leaking ps reservoir (cracked from summit and jb welded) with the replacement they sent and I’m now waiting on 5/8” fuel line to replace the heater hose I used from the reservoir to the pump. It couldn’t handle the fluid, swelled up and was bleeding through. I also bypassed the cooler in my radiator I was using as a ps cooler. It was more of a heater than a cooler. Something I didn’t think through. Why I thought having the ps fluid the same temp as the coolant was a good idea is beyond me. Couldn’t touch the reservoir it was so hot.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Attachments

#403 ·
So, I have been driving the car around a bit (50 miles). The car didn’t stop as well as I wanted, so I put some ebc pads on it. They don’t feel any better yet but they’re not bedded in and the break in coating is still there.
If the EBC Red's don't give great stopping power you have other problems in the system.

#420 ·
Another dyno day! This time at a friend of a friends house. He has a Dyno jet. Neighbors must love him. Peer pressured @arcane73 in to running his untuned 408.

I made 400/380. He was right on my heels and will surpass me in a week when he gets fuel taken out and timing in.
Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car Plant

#422 ·
Another dyno day! This time at a friend of a friends house. He has a Dyno jet. Neighbors must love him. Peer pressured @arcane73 in to running his untuned 408.
@Anangryford did you realize that neither of us are in the videos of our pulls? Yours makes sense because you were filming....I just tried to stay out of the way in case my junk exploded! :LOL:

#430 ·
So, I’m starting to get out of the burnout phase I have been in lately. Decided I would start the AC since we will be nearly in triple digits sunday. The more I thought about it the more I thought about engine cooling and not wanting to redo that after I had the system charged so I decided to follow this thread. 24 inch radiator crammed into a 65
Ordered a big block radiator and bracket except for the lower since I don’t have the parts the connect to on my car anymore. Will need to figure out a fan and am thinking contour from the thread but I’m not sure about the 2 fan thing. Guess I could have the control pack fan wire control yet another relay and turn both fans on at the same time.
Will also have a 9” condenser fan controlled by the trinary switch.

Then I got the go ahead to do my interior. As an fyi for anyone running foxbody vert seats, they are limited by a pin or rivet and don’t really recline. This is the rivet you need to drill to make them like any other fox seat.
Shoe Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

I like the converible seats because they have a capture for a shoulder belt.
On the list is,
-steering wheel
-seat upholstery
-mtf headliner
-cover panels next to rear seat in matching vinyl
-paint, sound deaden roof
-add shoulder belts
-paint doors
-dye door panels
-I want keyless entry but may not do it right now

#431 ·
Greetings AngryF,
Like you mentioned - I used the control pack orange fan lead to power both my fans with the use of two other relays. One of which is a 10 second delay relay so the load of both fans doesn’t hit at the same time. If I remember right the orange lead is powered off a 70 amp relay.
You mentioned having a separate fan for your AC condenser? Depending on your other fan(s) you may not need that. I too utilized a trinary switch but wired the trinary fan lead back to the engine/control pack fusebox and tied into the negative ECU circuit that activates the 70 amp fan relay. This way regardless of engine temp and/or AC compressor demands/pressures the fans operate as required. I’m currently working with Lund Racing for ECU tuning and I’m having them set higher fan operating temp parameters. On the Gen2 the ECU is set to turn the fans on at 180*. But with a 190/195 thermostat the darn fans run continuously….
My first test will be fan on at 210* and off at 200*. Lund mentioned that an engine temp of 212* is recommended for the Coyote. If they can’t get the ECU to cooperate I have a 210*-on/200*-off temp sender I’ll utilize to control the orange fan lead relay.
This weeks job for me is installing the four lower dash vents for my Vintage Air. I drove the car all last summer without the AC. Just charged mine up for the first time last month. 👍