Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When stripping the engine compartment prior to painting, I discovered that the r front had been hit in the past. The RH fender had 7 coats of paint, with a base coat of green, whereas the l fender had only 4 coats, with a base coat of blue. Also, there was brazing on the radiator support and also on the rh apron. The VIN stamping, however, was the same on both lh and rh aprons and matches the car. Have to say that the prior repair was done very nicely. I will have to go back and MIG weld a few areas - for instance the upper radiator support was cracked in the middle and crudely put back together. The plan is to keep all the electrical outside the engine compartment so that it will be nice and clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,138 Posts
Mine was like that too!
After I stripped the entire car I found that it had been in a nice wreck. I had to replace everything forward of the shock towers and the drivers rear quarter. The rear had at least 2 gallons of bondo covering up the dent :sick: The previous Loon didn't even try to repair it, just covered it up. They spent more in time and bondo than to just fix it :chainsaw:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,150 Posts
I got a fender from a friend's wrecked 1965 fastback in 1973. It was bright red, and my car was white. I was working at a body shop, and took it down to bare metal. The fender was the HIT of the shop, as it had 24 different layers on paint on it. :horror: :horror: Cutting it down, it looked like the Grand Canyon, with all the different colored layers exposed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
720 Posts
My '65 GT Fastback had been hit several times..but the really funny repair was the drivers side rear 1/4 panel. Seems the PO (a cousin) had 'lost' a minor battle with a train @ a crossing...he was spun into a telephone pole after the impact. The repairs to the LR 1/4 consisted of pulling the metal out to somewhat fix the accordian like damage to the top edge below the vent, then most of the side panel was cut out & replaced with chicken wire, nicely tack welded around the edges. Bondo was spread over the wire up to 2 inches thick! ...from the inside of the trunk it looked like a bee hive with all the plastic filler oozing through the wire! AND to top it all off the entire car was given a nice double coat of dark green exterior house paint (with a brush), chrome & all.
:puke:
I still have a chunk of the bondo filled chicken wire from the 1/4 panel.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top