Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

My dad wants his car back.

Can't blame him I have had it for nearly 3 years trying to make it just right for him. Built and installed a stroker 393, tremec 5 spd, new suspension, interior, and what seems like so much more, keep in mind that this was a shell, and hasn't been on the road in nearly 15 years. So I have until this weekend for the final touches, and there is alot. I made a lot of progress today, I fixed the leaking/backwards power steering hoses, the drop down bracket, and most of the lights that didn't work. Tomorrow, I head down to the mustang shop and pick up the speedo cable and E-brake cables. The last few things are the door windows, that I still haven't figured out how to glue and align, and the tach still doesn't work, I don't like the shifter in it, and I need to put a shifter boot in as well, not to mention seat belts. But he wants it back, who can blame him after 3 years of bragging to his friends about something that he can't even show.

So, a big thank you to all of you that have answered my questions.

I have this feeling of doing something good for him, but not to the extent of what my end goal was. I really wanted to send my dad home with a car that looks,and runs like my boss does. I could have been more consistent and diligent on this, but you know, home, work, kid's, WIFE, etc. There is always, the. If I only had a few more weeks sindrome, but that is not going to happen.

On the bright side, the car is really looking good, the new wheels and tires really woke it up. My wife said that she won't let him have it back, so I take that as a compliment from her. The pinner 14 inch stupid roll around the garage tires are available if anyone want's them.

By the way, that 393 really runs like a bat out of hell. I am amased how strong that motor is even with the new tires, it spins em from a roll even in 3rd gear. I would really like to send him home in the boss, and keep the 393 until it was properly "broke" in.

Thanks again for all the help, I am sure you will see alot of questions in the next few days, as I rap this up.

By the way, he intends on driving this car home, which is about an 8 hour drive from So. Cal to the Sacramento area, Johnpro and other No.Cal guys, are you going to be around to help him out. I can't imagine driving a car that far from home that hasn't been on the road for so long. It just seems a little too far for the maiden voyage. But my dad is a little on the stubborn side.

Hope to see this car in my garage again someday, just not too soon.

Thanks again,

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Kind of a happy, sad story, eh? *LOL* I'll send you my cell number, and tell him to call if he has a problem. Also, tell him to check out the NorCal forum and get involved with us gear heads right that are practically in his back yard. The NorCal guys are kind of the "cream of the crop" of the VMF to me, although I know I'm prejudiced. We do so much together and help each other out so much ... he really needs to take advantage of the commradery that we've developed.

Oh, and tell him that our NorCal VMF poker night is on the 21st at 70sportsroof's house, and I'll be there in Scary, letting people go on pony rides. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'll be there in Scary, letting people go on pony rides.
Question is, will you be letting them OUT?

I wouldn't worry about the maiden voyage being too long. These cars WANT to run; not much that will stop them. In summer '00 I put a fresh cam in my unrestored 170,000 mile '70 Cougar -- my first ever cam install -- and 100 miles later loaded up my two little girls and set off from SF Bay to Tampa Bay via the Grand Canyon, and back via K.C.Mo. No problem. Summer '01, we were off to Alaska and back. Summer '04, a 5,000 mile loop of Idaho, Montana, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Dakotas, Nebraska, K.C. Mo. again, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada, sea level to 12,000 ft., in a '65 289 fb, about 500 miles after a 1.5 year rebuild of this 'n' that. All two-lane back roads, some of them gravel even, up in Canada. Pack your cell phone and your VISA and you're good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts