Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plans already require the car being a little custom anyways. The bottom of the car including the tank have already been zero rusted in satin black. I also removed the under coating on the apron and wheel wells and have zero rusted that as well. The insides of the rear quarters, trunk, and back of the tail light panels will be zero rusted in a semi gloss white with the exterior color being white. The back of the decklid and hood will be painted white. So it will be a little different from factory. I really want to weld in the holes for the quarter moulding and skip the mouldings along with welding in the two holes on the rear lower valence so there's no bumper guard. I like that look. If I strayed that far away from factory looks I'd get a black interior with white dash, white steering wheel...or... should I just skip welding the quarter emblem holes, lower valence, and just a get a factory white and blue interior to be safe? I'm sort of conflicted...It's just an inline 6 too. What's more important, resale value or doing what you want with it?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Unless it is some unique edition or option package I say do what you want!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
While I've never been a big fan of full on customizing an earlier Mustang (65-73), to each his own. For YEARS, I was strictly a totally bone stock, just like Ford built it fan. Through the years I have mellowed some. I like, appreciate and enjoy tasteful modifications. I still have the GT in my sig pic. It's slowly being restored to Concours Driven standards (with the CORRECT wheels!). I specifically bought a '66 6cyl coupe to modify. It's currently in the process of getting a 5.0HO EFI engine, AOD trans, power disk brakes and power rack & pinion set up. I'm also combining elements of the standard interior with those of a pony (deluxe) interior that I like. If somebody doesn't like it, oh well. My car, my sweat, my money. Do want YOU want in order to enjoy YOUR car!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Built what you want, the way you want it...this way when you drive it, you won't say to yourself "I wish I would have....."
Tom

·
Registered
35,879 Posts
…with the exterior color being white. The back of the decklid and hood will be painted white. So it will be a little different from factory.
In what way is this different? A white car would have these panels white on top and bottom.

I really want to weld in the holes for the quarter moulding and skip the mouldings
This was also a legitimate option 64-66. What year is your car?

along with welding in the two holes on the rear lower valence so there's no bumper guard. I like that look. If I strayed that far away from factory looks I'd get a black interior with white dash, white steering wheel...or... should I just skip welding the quarter emblem holes, lower valence, and just a get a factory white and blue interior to be safe? I'm sort of conflicted...It's just an inline 6 too. What's more important, resale value or doing what you want with it?
Since it's a T code, resale value does not hinge so much on originality. I would look over original interior colors, especially the less common ones. The "Palomino" 65 interior is rarely seen, but looks fantastic with most exterior colors, for example.

·
Registered
900 Posts
mod it to your taste-- i have a 64.5 D vert and its built for me.

if i had a white car id choose blue/white pony i have always like that color interior. and the GT/pony guages are much nicer IMO..

i welded up all the rocker panel holes for no molding-
welded up the rear 1/4 trim
welded up the rear valance bumperette holes. im going for the clean look-- the exterior is "all stock" except for a shelby hood..

just got back from bodyshop yesterday-- its all blocked ready for paint. my engine from fordstrokers ships monday so another week and its assembly time!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The "Palomino" 65 interior is rarely seen, but looks fantastic with most exterior colors, for example.
+1. Palomino is pretty awesome. When I got my '65 coupe, it had been converted to a white/red combination. I put it back to the original Palomino, and to date, I've only seen about two more Palomino interiors in person.

Here's my car. Note that the woodgrain isn't a standard interior feature, bur something I added. Same with the steering wheel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the ideas guys, really helps. Being it's an inline 6 I'll probably go ahead with the mods, but I will also be looking at original interior schemes for white cars...as long as it's not the red interior!!! I also like the blue and white interior that went with white cars. I also really think this palmomino color would go amazingly with this white. Just would need to make sure they'd have a matching dash and carpet color would be a thought. BTW, did they make palomino interior for white cars? If so, I'll do that cause it will have a subtle taste of custom yet the important things will remain the same.

22 gt, what makes it slightly custom is the fact the bottom is black and inside the trunk will be a semi flat white zero rust as opposed to painted white. Not sure if that's enough distinction to label it custom but it's different in subtle ways.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What's more important, resale value or doing what you want with it?
Only you can answer that question.
But also answer this one: Do you own the car or does the car own you?

Generally, resale value is usually higher on cars that origionally came with the bigger engines and 4 speeds, and rare packages like GT or Boss, etc.
So the higher the potential resale, the more someone should worry about origionality.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only you can answer that question.
But also answer this one: Do you own the car or does the car own you?

Generally, resale value is usually higher on cars that origionally came with the bigger engines and 4 speeds, and rare packages like GT or Boss, etc.
So the higher the potential resale, the more someone should worry about origionality.
so in my case, who cares! That's a great way to look at it and agree with you. There's only so much value that can be attained in an inline 6. It is a 64.5 though but I don't think that's gonna make a huge difference.

·
Registered
35,879 Posts
Here's my car. Note that the woodgrain isn't a standard interior feature, bur something I added. Same with the steering wheel.
You could also order a Palomino Deluxe (pony) interior in 65.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
i have the same problem with my 65 vert......right now it looks good red/red but thinking on adding the shelby scoop and front spoiler with the stripes all the way down ??? your thoughts

this...

to this....

but with a chrome front bumper..

or this way...

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I would build it the way you want it like others have said. I get frustrated with my car because I can't just do what I want, although some would say to do what I want, I just cant lol I would love to have white interior in my car with the poppy red:), but it's black interior.

I will just have to buy another car someday and mod it out.

·
Registered
35,879 Posts
I also really think this palmomino color would go amazingly with this white. Just would need to make sure they'd have a matching dash and carpet color would be a thought. BTW, did they make palomino interior for white cars? If so, I'll do that cause it will have a subtle taste of custom yet the important things will remain the same.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure all interior colors were available in white cars. The entire interior was a single color palomino, except the dash pad, which was slightly darker.

22 gt, what makes it slightly custom is the fact the bottom is black and inside the trunk will be a semi flat white zero rust as opposed to painted white. Not sure if that's enough distinction to label it custom but it's different in subtle ways.
I'd worry a non-glossy paint would get dirty, but then, you know what you'll be doing with the car. Ford simply painted hoods and trunklids with the same paint all over, so a red car would be red on the underside of the hood and decklid, etc. The glossy paint is easier to clean, especially under the hood.

·
Registered
863 Posts
It doesnt matter what you do, someone will criticize and question you. I restored my fastback almost bone stock and Ive had dozens of poeple ask:
Why did you build it so "plain"?
Why no bright and elaborite paint scheme?
Why those old fashioned wheels?
Why didnt you a big block in?
Why didnt you paint the engine a bright color instead of black?
You should get rid of those old seats and put in some 2011 Mustang seats and a 6 speed

When I respond by saying, "I built it like Ford built it in 1964", they walk away shaking their heads.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
It doesnt matter what you do, someone will criticize and question you. I restored my fastback almost bone stock and Ive had dozens of poeple ask:
Why did you build it so "plain"?
Why no bright and elaborite paint scheme?
Why those old fashioned wheels?
Why didnt you a big block in?
Why didnt you paint the engine a bright color instead of black?
You should get rid of those old seats and put in some 2011 Mustang seats and a 6 speed

When I respond by saying, "I built it like Ford built it in 1964", they walk away shaking their heads.
Wow, people are rude. Beautiful cars...

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
i have the same problem with my 65 vert......right now it looks good red/red but thinking on adding the shelby scoop and front spoiler with the stripes all the way down ??? your thoughts
Well, if you're looking for an opinion, a red '65 vert with rocker stripes and Magnums is already pretty dang flashy. Everybody and his dog does LeMans stripes, scoops and spoilers. I have nothing against flashy cars, but I always felt that a car should be faster than it looks, not the other way 'round.

Just MHO, take it for what it's worth, but it's your car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts