Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a couple of months ago about the 66 K code FB project I was finally able to talk the owner into selling after 2 years. Two weeks ago I finally finished up the engine bay and was going to start it for the very first time.
The Agony
A lot of my gang showed up and after priming the engine again (got 55psi oil pressure with just spinning the primer with a drill), installing the dizzy, I was ready. Had one of the gang watching the gauges, primed the carb, hooked up remote starter switch and had the key turned to on. Started in an instant....YES...all that work paid off. About 5 minutes later my guy watching the gauges yells LOST OIL PRESSURE..!
Shut it down immediately even though we did not hear any noise in the engine. Thought maybe the oil pressure gauge line got plugged with some debris so we pull the line at the block and bumped the starter....nothing. First thought was the oil pump so ordered and installed new melling pump and ARP shaft and bolt kit. Tried primimg again, nothing, absolutely no oil pressure. Called another buddy who knew the engine builder. Builder says it really sounds like an oil gallery plug popped out and easiest one to check was under the intake manifold. Pulled the manifold, nope, plug is in and secured with stake. That leaves under the timing cover. Well before tearing down the front of the engine, I pulled the fuel pump, put the primer back in and while looking up the fuel pump opening with a mirror and light I had a buddy spin the primer.

The Ecstasy
Bingo, it looked like Niagara Falls flowing under the upper timing gear. Tore front cover down, removed timing chain and there it was....a gallery with no plug.
Installed new plug with permanent locktite and then staked it. Spun primer again and now getting a beautiful 58psi.....

Ain't projects fun....!

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes we found the plug. Found it when we dropped the oil pan to install the new oil pump.

Update, we started it this afternoon and it ran great. Had 35-40psi at idle, went up to around 50 when we were running it at 3000rpm. The bad news is, it will only start using a remote starter switch. Traced problem back to "new" ignition switch....Can't wait to see what else happens after driving it for awhile...!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Good story with a happy ending! Good luck!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LSG....Answer- I did not build the engine. It was in the car when I bought it. I was not about to drill and tap the galleries with the engine completely built and in the car, to much of a chance of metal filing's getting in the engine. And yes, I know there are ways of preventing that but I chose not to do it even though it really is the best solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts