Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I pull this thing for warranty work,I want to make sure I have an issue.
I had a T-5 rebuilt about a year ago. I had all the internal parts upgraded including a 2.95 first Gear.
Shortly after I installed it,I noticed a mild but annoying Vibration on 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th in the transmission area. 5th is just fine. I notice it more at the higher RPM range's.
Later around the 1000 mile mark I started to hear a low growling noise when I let off the gas at highway speeds.
This was going on with the old and new Driveshaft,yoke and U-joints.
It shifts fine,although the stock shifter feels sloppy recently.
To be fair,I fabricated a X-member. A new one is on order and I'll install and test it just to make sure it wasn't my problem.
I've got 1500 miles on the T-5 and one more month before the Warranty expires. 12 month/12,000.

Any thoughts?

Marty.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
trans vibrations aren't too common..most usual source is a bent mainshaft, which they should have checked b4 install.

You can pull it, but that wouldn't be the first place of suspicion for me.

if you have access to easy warranty work though, it wouldn't hurt

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running stock 66 motor mounts and Trans mount. All were replace at the time of install. The pinion angle is in the stock location with no shims.
It's been suggested that the rumbling noise when I back off the Gas may be a bad retainer bearing. :shrug: Just gathering opinions right now.

Marty.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
if you pull it out, some things to inspect are that bearing retainer....you'll tell at first site, it'll be grooved.

check in and out play too of the input shaft

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I rebuild them on the side, so if you have it out, and need any tips, or want to post up some pictures, I'll help best I can

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much!

As far as long or short shaft...I couldn't tell you.It is a 1986 T-5. I had it rebuilt and installed it using the 1" adapter plate. (Transmissions are not my expertise).

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I would measure the input shaft. Whether you use a late model bh or an early bh with the adapter, if the input is to short it will not seat all the way. It will work, for a while, but eventually it will fail and cause issues and noises. It may be what you are experiencing now.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
just an fyi, I noticed he mentioned he had it built with a 2.95 first gear. This means it's a z spec t5, which is the only t5 with a 2.95 first gear, other than the older non world class t5's, which the internals are not interchangeable.

typically the ONLY input shaft available with the 2.95 gearset is the fox length input shaft, as they never offered a z spec compatible with the sn95 5.0 cars. I have "heard" potentially of a real oddball aftermarket input that was made for the 2.95 gearset in the longer sn95 length. It certainly is possible, but unlikely.

When you pull it, I'll throw some measurements for both for you, as I have input shafts for fox's and sn95 t5's laying around.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your right. I had it upgraded to the "Z" spec. The parts were Borg Warner.
I'll see what happens when I pull it this weekend.

Thanks again.....both of you.

Marty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts