Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thanks to all of you who have tried helping me diagnosis my problem.

Here is my original post:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=414778

Mistakenly I have jumped the car with plus and minus backward and have fried something.
Since, I have put in a Brand New battery, a new Voltage regulator, and starter looks pretty new. I looked at the negative cable's connection to the engine block and I am going to replace it with a new cable and NEW COLOR (BLACK).

Here are the symptoms: First I put the new battery in and connected it, the head lights worked. SO I decided to give the starter a try. It went click and nothing. Since then nothing comes on. No lights at all, no dome light. Even when I turn the key, I don't get a click anymore.

I have done a search here and found out a lots of people are having problems with the starter Solenoid sticking... Could that be my problem as well?
Is starter Solenoid the same thing as Starter relay? The round thing close to the battery? In my old 5.0 the starter solenoid was on the starter.

Sorry for so many dumb questions, but I am a newbie to Vintage Mustang world and I am trying to restore a 66 Mustang 289 for my son.

Thanks for all your inputs.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes the relay and solonoid are the same. Little black can looking thing with a bunch of wires near the extra hot battery /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

And yes you could have definitely burnt it up, plus a lot of other things.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
With what you discribe the only thing that will do that is a bad battery cable connection. Yes, you can still have many other problems from the battery being hooked up backwards, but the lights would not quit the first time you hit the key. That just means you put a higher amperage load through the battery cables and an iffy connection went completely down. The cure is to clean/ wiggle the battery cables at the batt and make sure the ground end to the block is good and tight. The pos cable to the solenoid should be good and tight also - not He-Man tight, just snugged up hard.

Do that stuff first and I'll bet it cranks right up. You are sure that the new batt has juice, right?

·
Premium Member
19,220 Posts
I suspect the starter solenoid is bad. Turning on headlights first says that the battery to dash to headlights is OK. When you turn the key, something then sucks waaay too much current (starter, probably), and stays stuck. The only thing that does that is the solenoid contacts.

Disconnect the battery, and replace the solenoid. Try again. If the same thing, you might have to replace the starter.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Don't buy a cheap solenoid, spend the extra money ($20 or so) and get a good one. I bought a cheapo at Advance auto and it was bad. As soon as I hooked it up, the engine starting cranking by itself.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mine also did that. It would do it without the key in! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif You would be walking into a store then crank crank crank crank. Not good.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Check the fuse links by the starter solenoid, yu might have burned oneof them whe you hooked it up backwards, or pos the alternator. Hope this helps.
Mike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Thank you all.

You guys are great.
The problem was my Negative Baterry cable. I bought a (BLACK) one and replaced the old worn one that was on the car and the car started right up.
I guess the cable was too old and when I put juice through it, it really threw it in a loop and broke the cable.
The only problem was finding the bolt connecting it to the engine block. The bolt was covered with 35 years of oil and goop.

All is well. Now, on with the next project.
Thanks for all your help
Amir

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
i read your post from before, and checked my `66. my cables are the wrong color also. i htought red was always positive! you probably saved me some trouble, thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am Glad that you can prevent this happening to you.

I heard from the friend that back in 66 Ford tried to be cute with their design and go away from the main stream. so they decided to switch the cables around... Why? I have not idea. I personally think that it was a stupid idea. It didn't do anything but to have batteries blow up in people's faces.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts