Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brings this up is a car I saw this morning at Dorton Arena in Raleigh. It's an Olds Cutlass vert, not that that matters. And the color would be a hit or miss for most, I didn't care for it much myself. But the paint on it was perfect. Could not find a flaw in it anywhere, even though body panel alignment wasn't quite to the same level. The car had to be a never gets driven trailer queen which I see as sort of sad, but there is that end of this hobby. I have to imagine a paint job like that must necessarily be expensive, upwards of 10K. I would have liked to ask the owner about it but he/she was nowhere around.

Comments, pics, stories of awesome paint jobs welcome.

·
Registered
34,672 Posts
When I had my '72 Impala Convertible restored way back in 1981 at the body of shop of a local Ford dealer as a "fill in" project it literally came out looking like it did off the showroom floor. The work involved 2 new quarters, outer wheelhouses, rh door, new top and rear curtain and paint. The guy who did it was approaching sixty and probably had 40 years of body experience. All the seams were leaded and there was very little filler used anywhere.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Growing up, my dad’s friend had an 80 something Vette. The painter we all knew painted it candy apple red with ghosted candy tangerine, green and plum flames. The car was gorgeous. Unfortunately the painter had a wicked drug problem and refused to paint with a mask. He died.....

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Best paint jobs I ever saw were at MCA Nationals and some big non-MCA shows. The last guy that painted my Mustang, 25 years ago now, had been doing so for over 40 years, and my car was his last total-car job. He made more money on quickie insurance jobs and deer wrecks. I can't complain too much about the paint job since it has lasted 25 years, but it's past time to have it done again.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
The best paint job I saw...was the street level paint job I got from a local auto body shop near me. I wanted a nice street level paint job and only had a budget of $3500. After a few months of wrangling the owner brought his painter to my garage to look at what he was up against. I had completed the rust repair and all was in primer. He gave me a estimate of $2800, this was in 2003. After a few months and much body blending and painting many individual parts, he called that it was completed in the fall of 2003.....for $2800. It came with a lifetime guarantee. I was so thrilled, I gave him and his painter a tip of a couple hundred bucks. To this day, 17 years later, she still shines. Two years ago, I gathered up my wife and favorite Yorkie, "Jeze-A-Belle" and drove her back to the owner for him to see my mustang was "all together" and road worthy. He was so thrilled I took the time for him to see the old girl 15-16 years later and still has a shine. A tribute to his word and quality work. Made me feel good!

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't really like or follow mainstream builders but saw one of Boyd Coddingtons cars at Del Mar GoodGuys in the early 2000s. It was absolutely stunning and I may or may not of spilled my beer on the fender and tire...

·
Registered
383 Posts
The best one I've seen was a real, red, 427 Cobra. The paint was so nice it looked like it was mile deep. I had to ask the owner what kind it was. Good old fashioned lacquer.

There are two kinds of paint jobs. Single stage or basecoat clearcoat. I'm not fan of basecoat clearcoat on vintage cars. Its beautiful but it doesn't look correct on an old car. I like a color sanded and buffed out single stage paint job.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I don’t know if it’s the best I ever saw, but it is stunning. My dads Cobra...just back from paint and loading it up to get registered last summer

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Black '69 Camaro. A high school classmate's car, whose father owned Hank's Auto Body in Denver. They had 150-200 hours in the paint easy.
I dealt with that shop quite a lot because I was an insurance appraiser right out of college- they were the best of the best.

·
Registered
26 Posts
what was happening at the arena today?? im a student at state and hadn't heard anything about it or I would've swung by, a shame

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What was happening at the arena today? I'm a student at State and hadn't heard anything about it or I would've swung by, a shame.
The 2020 Auto Expo. We went to look at new models because it's that time for SWMBO (she likes the Kia Niro, so do I). Dorton had classics on display.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 2020 Auto Expo. We went to look at new models because it's that time for SWMBO (she likes the Kia Niro, so do I). Dorton had classics on display.
ah, me and my daily aren't too sad to have missed out on that then. however, there's still pretty little in the way of a classic car community on campus so let me know if you ever want to meet up or of anything around the triangle!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
over perfected paint jobs dont turn me on. I like to see them similar to the way they left the factory
those were my instructions to my painter anyways lol

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I saw that on Saturday. Beautiful car. You don't usually see any of the flexible driveshaft cars from the early 60's.
Normally we end up walking through there by accident on Sunday during pack out when no one is guarding the hen house. Got free tix to the Expo this year was the only reason we were out there Sat.
Gee, we should have a local VMF get together. Seems there's a bunch of us in the Triangle area.

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Yeah, I don't know about best I've ever seen, but this was the best paint job that I was ever around daily. A 67 vert that I owned back in 2004.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts