Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I get all the underside of the car cleaned up what is the BEST under coating to use?

What about the coating that is used in pickup truck bed liners? Would this be good? I have also heard of lizard skin. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'm going with ruberized bed liner. Comes in a rattle can for a little over $7 each. I got 15 to start with and see how far that gets me. I haven't gotten it on yet, but I've seen cars with it before, and the owners acted like it was the best invention since the car itself.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Some would say the best undercoat is a couple of coats of high quality paint. In time if those other coatings develop pin holes or cracks and moisture gets under them, it can lead to corrosion that is unnoticed until it is severe. Then try to get it off. I'm just sayin.....

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
+1 best undercoat is no undercoat!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I agree slim, most of us have spent alot of time removing the old undercoating to ever think of putting more on!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
+1 best undercoat is no undercoat!
Quarterly cleaning, and some flat clear spray bomb to touch things up, will do wonders. I did use a few VERY light coats in the wheel arches. Any missed areas were touched with flat black paint.

I thought of using it in the trough and inside the front of the quarters where the rain is channelled inside the car. In the end, I used parafin wax there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Prep it good if youre using the aerosol spray bedliner. Ive got an autobody background and I used that crap on a trailer with what Id consider a well prepped surface and it peeled off in sheets. Im not 100% sure anymore but I think it was duplicolor brand. SPI sells a nice commercial grade non aerosol spray on bedliner, need the right spray gun but its not costly.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I can't even recall the last time I looked ad the underside of my car. What color is it supposed to be?

Deke

·
Registered
40 Posts
As mentioned before, I would steer clear of those rubber undercoatings. You won't know there is a problem until it is really bad. Also the removal of it once you realize your mistake is a mess. Good luck. I would go with POR for areas with rust and just a black paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts