Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I've got a popular set-up so this should be no problem for you guys. My '66 V-8 coupe has the factory 40 year old springs up front and I'm running 225-50-16's up front on Torque Thrust II's. I want to drop the body down in the frot but keep it off the tires. I keep hearing that the 620 springs that are so popular won't actually drop the car 1" as advertised due to the fact that my factory springs are probably sagging 1" or more from their original ride hight. Help guys! What do you suggest? Have you guys gone with the 620's and had luck dropping the car? If so, where did you get your springs? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Keep your stock springs, or buy some new ones, take them off the car, cut some of the spring off (with a SAW, not a torch, that will ruin the heat treatment). Go 1/4 coil at a time until the ride height is where you want it.

Also, if you buy new ones, don't cut a whole lot until they have settled for a month or so.

Also, if you do this, its a good time to do the "shelby drop". Search for it on the forum and you will find lots of info. This is a pretty much free mod that will help your handling considerably.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
As TheShagg said a Shelby drop and cutting springs are really the only way to lower the front. If you plan on cutting a lot I would NOT get the 620s every bit you cut off will increase the stiffness.

For the rear the options are:
1. Special springs - mid eye or reverse eye.
2. Changing the arch.
3. Lowering blocks.

John Harvey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts