Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

561 - 580 of 641 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
This is incredible. That's 150 pounds (!!) lighter than a stock 289/302, and still 100 pounds lighter than an aluminum headed SBF. Even with the 6R80, the 2.3 combo is still 100 pounds lighter than my stock 260/C4. As great as the Foxbody EFI 302 swap is, it's getting harder to find and the EB is getting easier. You may be tilting the balance towards the 4 cylinder if your kit catches on. Do you mind if I revise the first post with that?

·
Registered
372 Posts
View attachment 789254
297 pounds fully dressed with Mustang turbo on the other side, 2.0 fleplate and the head off my stand.
This is incredible. That's 150 pounds (!!) lighter than a stock 289/302, and still 100 pounds lighter than an aluminum headed SBF. Even with the 6R80, the 2.3 combo is still 100 pounds lighter than my stock 260/C4. As great as the Foxbody EFI 302 swap is, it's getting harder to find and the EB is getting easier. You may be tilting the balance towards the 4 cylinder if your kit catches on. Do you mind if I revise the first post with that?
It's your thread my friend... I'm just along for the ride. I have no problems with it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Pretty sure I am going to have to rethink my front spring rates. The Viking coilovers were purchased with a boosted V8 in mind. I'm beat, gonna smoke a bit and call it a night.

Gotta find 1.75" of real estate in there. I'm pretty sure I have it licked, but it means yet another one off part. I'll know more tomorrow when we crawl under her... again...

·
Registered
372 Posts

Hoping to have the turbo between the center rib and rear A-arm bolt. This is where we are at as of now. The pan is against the V8 crossmember. We will pull it tomorrow and fab up a different design. (Still bolt in). That will put the fuel pump against the firewall. The mounts are adjustable so a guy could leave it or notch the heater hump in the firewall and gain another .5 to .75" But to be honest, its a 300 pound engine, pushing it as far back as possible has less effect on balance the lighter the engine. My plan is to get the engine as close to the firewall as possible (hence the 1.75") and calling it a win as the trans is in the crossmember and bolted to the mount. The starter will have plenty of clearance, and the down-pipe will be an almost straight shot.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Impressive...even with the turbo and alternator it hits the same weight as the NA 3.5/3.7L...and unlike those motors it is a lot shorter. To be honest, unless the shifter is an issue I wouldn't even try shoving it any further back.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Impressive...even with the turbo and alternator it hits the same weight as the NA 3.5/3.7L...and unlike those motors it is a lot shorter. To be honest, unless the shifter is an issue I wouldn't even try shoving it any further back.
Couldn't have done it without your help and advice bud.. I'm gonna shoot for another ~2" today or tomorrow... But that's it I think, I'm not too interested in getting into the firewall. The 2" should center up the shifter so I'll be happy with that...

My eldest son, Beau, lost the brakes on his P71 daily driver earlier in the week, so thats the priority for today, caliper rebuilds, new hoses, rotors, pads, the works.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
Keeping the motor forward means less tunnel chopping for our 6R80 and MT82 brethren ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
His brakes took longer than expected. I'll be back on Coop tomorrow... This old man is tired and sober... Two issues I plan to remedy ASAP.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Keeping the motor forward means less tunnel chopping for our 6R80 and MT82 brethren ;)
Choices... Choices... Found a 2.3 6R for 400 shipped. BUT, the selfish part of me says that's a pretty decent down payment on a TKX for Coop. Maybe when I sell the 333 roller or some of the other crap I have accumulated over the years. nothin like being broke as a motivator to "clean out" the shop. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
If you need the 6R for mockup, I wouldn't mind kicking in as a down-payment on a 2.3 conversion kit :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you need the 6R for mockup, I wouldn't mind kicking in as a down-payment on a 2.3 conversion kit :)
Not yet bud... but that is much appreciated. I have a line on another chassis and if the floors are done, 90% chance, I'll do a 6r build. I still have enough bits laying around to build a third Falcon chassis and drivetrain wise. Apparently this old girl I'm eyeballing has a "straight" body. Just gotta convince myself that it's a business expense LOL! Well me and the IRS if this takes off LOL!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
That's some pretty solid patina as long as it's not totally crusted out where it matters. It would make a great sleeper.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That's some pretty solid patina as long as it's not totally crusted out where it matters. It would make a great sleeper.
The '65 grille alone is worth the asking price. If I can use the carcass for development then I'm already ahead of the game. If I can put her back on the road... even better, but the pans are DONE so for the first time anywhere I will be happy about that. LOL!

·
Registered
372 Posts
The '65 grille alone is worth the asking price. If I can use the carcass for development then I'm already ahead of the game. If I can put her back on the road... even better, but the pans are DONE so for the first time anywhere I will be happy about that. LOL!
We decided to pass on it, my tetanus isn't up to date, LOL. The rear end is locked up, gonna be more of a pain in the ass to go gather the damn thing than it's worth.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a 6R install in Coop just for development purposes. We need to replace the floors eventually so it could be done "during" the floor replacement. Two birds one stone.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #577 ·
Let me know if you want to take me up on the offer. I realize the 6R is a detour for you, but I still think it's the transmission to have. I'm leaning towards buying a whole EcoBoost parts car, I figure there's a ton that's going to come in handy, and I really don't count on MARS anymore. I'm in the middle of nowhere though, shipping is $400 to anywhere.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
We decided to pass on it, my tetanus isn't up to date, LOL. The rear end is locked up, gonna be more of a pain in the ass to go gather the damn thing than it's worth.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a 6R install in Coop just for development purposes. We need to replace the floors eventually so it could be done "during" the floor replacement. Two birds one stone.
If you are doing tunnel surgery, its a good time to think about E-brake options...one of the reasons I opted to use the S197 tunnel was because of easy handbrake options(there are 3 different OEM hand brakes I can use...though all are offset to the driver side, or I could do a fresh center mount install if I wanted to cut more)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
Aw yeee :cool: Next up, 10R80 lol
Using the stock shifter to control it seems like a great idea now instead of paying $400 to integrate. Can you imagine that six months ago, a $400 shifter and $1000 trans controller seemed like a good idea?

561 - 580 of 641 Posts