Vintage Mustang Forums banner
661 - 680 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The outlet of the box will have a suedo v stack. The pictures may be confusing without a first person vantage point. Air will enter the box via the 4" v-stack. It will exit the box via a 3" v-stack post / in the filter. Shape of the filter isn't critical here, surface area is, and to be honest, if I ever do drive her in inclement weather I'd prefer the filter stay dry-ish. Hopefully this cut away gives better perspective. Besides the agressive look and "in yer face" factor, the black external v-stack will provide a smoothed contoured inlet into the box, and the V-stack or bellmouth filter should smooth the transition into the 12" of 3" pipe before the turbo inlet. Hope thats clear as mud LOL! Whatcha think Wicked?
View attachment 793051

I suspected the filter may have had an internal stack(good ones generally do) but airflow to the stack is still disrupted....the filter material is always too close to the stack in them....that being said though, again, this is a turbo application and that type of thing makes very little difference when it comes to forced induction...the turbo doesn't really care, its still going to pull air however it can to maintain whatever the wastegate pressure is set to. Still, that filter may actually hit the magical 3/4" measurement if you are measuring from the apex....and the people who quote that number are never very clear whether they mean from the apex or the lip. It not like we are talking any significant power difference anyway, more of a theoretical optimum as applicable to NA engines.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Slowly but surely starting to resemble a car again... New upper filler panel airdam is done and in. Still needs some final welding but thats for another day. Hopefully we get decent weather tomorrow and Hunter and I can get the front end back on her and fully aligned, shimmed, gaps run, and the bumper spacers installed for the 'glass bumpers. I want to get everything aligned and any issues resolved BEFORE we weld anything solid. Wicked, I picked up a 3" bell for the rear of the airbox so smooth in and smooth out, just like greasy pork! :oops:

20210501_171837.jpg 20210501_171843.jpg 20210501_171849.jpg 20210501_171918.jpg 20210501_172316.jpg

·
Registered
430 Posts
Gathering up the supplies to narrow up Coop's rear end. Last time I did this was > 5 years ago... I've set up a few since then, bu haven't narrowed any for a while... LOL!
  1. 2000 Explorer housing 2.875" long side snip and shave. Weld tubes to center housing as well as pins.
  2. FMS - 3.55 gears
  3. FMS - Posi carrier with correct stack and kevlar clutches
  4. USA Standard ZKF8.8 Master overhaul kit (bearings/shims/r&p bolts/seals/pinion nut
  5. Ford Racing M-1225-B - Bearing and seal kit
  6. Yukon SK-SS12 super shim kit
  7. Moser Eng. 8010 1/2"x3" extended studs
  8. Yukon crush sleeve eliminator
  9. R and L 31 spline Ford axle shafts
  10. New cover and gasket
  11. Reconditioned backing plates
  12. New shoes/pads
  13. New rotors
  14. rebuilt and coated calipers to match WIlwoods up front
  15. New hard lines on the axle housing/hoses at the calipers and T
  16. Wilwood cables to ebrake
  17. Tube jig
  18. pinion depth tool
  19. setup brackets for four link and coilovers.

Did I miss anything???

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #664 ·
Probably good to go with that list. I always thought the 8" was well-suited for the "soft" power of the EcoBoost (especially with an automatic). I'd use a 67+ ribbed pumpkin, an inexpensive posi unit, 3.50:1 gears and maybe step up to 31 spline axles (but not strictly necessary). The Exploder rear end just seems like overkill unless it's being launched 10 times on slicks at the track every weekend.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've had my fair share of 8s fail so I just go the 8.8 route. It typically costs less than 1/2 the price to build an 8.8 as it would an 8, at least for me as I collect 96^ housings from the local pick n pull when they have a sale. Parts are ridiculously easy to come by on the cheap as well. I guess its just personal preference. But Either way Coop is getting narrowed and tubbed and the little 7.25 wasn't gonna handle more than rolling around engine-less. LOL. this is the last narrowed on I did for Panther... I've beat the crap out of this rearend and no issues. Although I am going to do some additional upgrades once the 351W is pushing peak torque and it can actually hook up. Coop's will be slightly less bullet proof as I am using stock 31 spline axles in it, where Panther has super duper special alloy axle shafts.
the

·
Registered
430 Posts
Probably good to go with that list. I always thought the 8" was well-suited for the "soft" power of the EcoBoost (especially with an automatic). I'd use a 67+ ribbed pumpkin, an inexpensive posi unit, 3.50:1 gears and maybe step up to 31 spline axles (but not strictly necessary). The Exploder rear end just seems like overkill unless it's being launched 10 times on slicks at the track every weekend.
I also should have mentioned Coop has a 7.25" 4 lug as she was an L6 car. Cute lil thing, but no... LOL!

·
Registered
430 Posts
So not even remotely Ecoboost related... Hunter and I took the day off from tedious stuff to hang the 3/4 ton truck bumper and start trimming...

Recycle...Renew... Reuse...I have an old set of driving lights that will get frenched in where the mounting bungs are tacked.Still need to get the passenger side nipped and the headlight recesses formed. We'll add a flange to the rear of it that slips up behind the grille. Obviously all the holes will be filled and I'll do some metal manipulation in the cooler opening so it all flows. Still need to build an oil cooler mount as well.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I've had my fair share of 8s fail so I just go the 8.8 route. It typically costs less than 1/2 the price to build an 8.8 as it would an 8, at least for me as I collect 96^ housings from the local pick n pull when they have a sale. Parts are ridiculously easy to come by on the cheap as well. I guess its just personal preference. But Either way Coop is getting narrowed and tubbed and the little 7.25 wasn't gonna handle more than rolling around engine-less. LOL. this is the last narrowed on I did for Panther... I've beat the crap out of this rearend and no issues. Although I am going to do some additional upgrades once the 351W is pushing peak torque and it can actually hook up. Coop's will be slightly less bullet proof as I am using stock 31 spline axles in it, where Panther has super duper special alloy axle shafts.
the View attachment 793233

Don't underestimate the 7.25" rear end...its tougher than you think...some Australian drag racers have hit 12-13 second quarter mile times in old Falcon v8s with it. For that matter, I pushed 350 ft/lb of torque through a 6.7" Toyota rear end in my old Celica and never had a complaint out of the thing. Of course, with as cheap and easy 8" and larger rears are to find there is little reason aside from weight not to choose one...but you will find that a turbo 4 is not nearly as rough as a v8 on a rear end...that 350 ft/lb engine of mine was a Dodge Neon SRT-4 2.4L that I converted to RWD and stuck in an old RA29 Celica and it made right at 330HP and 350ft/lb of torque

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well life happens... Coop will be coming off the lift and all the EB projects back-burnered for the indefinite future. Stay safe yall and take care.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #671 ·
Can we ask what happened? Is everyone okay?

·
Registered
430 Posts
So, as I've mentioned before, my health isn't the best and I'm old, fat, and beat half to death. When I was in my 20s and stupid I trashed my left rotator cuff and it's been re-injured a couple times since. Now, as an old dipsh!t I get to reap what I sowed... I trashed it moving the 6R from a pallet to dolley about a week ago... As I no longer have medical, I get to deal with it until it heals enough to replicate my previous PT. I'm right handed so I can still do certain things, but any really heavy lifting is out of the question for a while. Hunter has taken the lead on Coop so we will soldier on but it will be alot slower than I had originally anticipated. We switched gears to body work stuff for a bit as its easier on the joints.

Coop as she sits tonight:
20210514_182823.jpg 20210514_182832.jpg 20210514_182849.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been following your all’s forum with interest, I have a 65 Tiger with a 347 but am looking at the EB 2.3 for a alpine I have. I have been recently distracted by the 1.5 EB 3 cylinder since that would be plenty of power. if anyone bumps into any info on that one please let me know. Any more info on the Marrs customers ? I am very curious as to if they are really running or stuck in limp mode thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #674 ·
So, as I've mentioned before, my health isn't the best and I'm old, fat, and beat half to death. When I was in my 20s and stupid I trashed my left rotator cuff and it's been re-injured a couple times since. Now, as an old dipsh!t I get to reap what I sowed... I trashed it moving the 6R from a pallet to dolley about a week ago... As I no longer have medical, I get to deal with it until it heals enough to replicate my previous PT. I'm right handed so I can still do certain things, but any really heavy lifting is out of the question for a while. Hunter has taken the lead on Coop so we will soldier on but it will be alot slower than I had originally anticipated. We switched gears to body work stuff for a bit as its easier on the joints.

Coop as she sits tonight:
View attachment 794876 View attachment 794877 View attachment 794878
Oh gosh, I'm really sorry to hear this Bill. Shoulder injuries are the absolute worst; I help out my mother with lifting because of a bad shoulder and go through some bad spells of shoulder injury and discomfort myself. Stretches recommended by a physiotherapist made the most difference out of any medical treatments (and it's free), but it's only useful as far as the extent of the damage. Rest up and take care of it.

I have been following your all’s forum with interest, I have a 65 Tiger with a 347 but am looking at the EB 2.3 for a alpine I have. I have been recently distracted by the 1.5 EB 3 cylinder since that would be plenty of power. if anyone bumps into any info on that one please let me know. Any more info on the Marrs customers ? I am very curious as to if they are really running or stuck in limp mode thanks
MARS is way, way behind schedule but they do appear to be doing something. It's a bit ironic that their quoted delivery times haven't changed despite it being nearly double what they quoted. I like the 1.5L and 1.6L from the Fiesta ST a lot, but I'm not well-versed on it as far as transmission choices. There is a good thread on it here: 1.6 Ecoboost Conversion A swap harness/ECU is available for the 1.6L (which I think is just as good, with a bit more torque), maybe reach out to the company to see if they would do the 1.5L: ANT steering & electronics

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for all of that. Last week I wrote Ford Performance and the motor company looking for some info, measurements etc. The 1.5 in itself is confusing because they had a 1.5 ecoboost but now with the new “bronco escapeee” out the base is a 1.5 ecoboost 3 cylinder that puts out like 184 hp but apparently it’s a real torquer, and the block itself is tiny. That could be a hot set up for some of the smaller older cars. Shoot the 260 in the stock tiger only had 164 hp

·
Registered
9 Posts
I reached out to Eric Brooks for the PATS delete on my ecu. his price was about the cost of a tune, which is reasonable, and I should have gone with him for the service.

..but I was trying to save a couple bucks, so Instead and unfortunately, I found a tuner based out of Washington state called Syked ECU Tuning who would do the job for half of what Eric quoted, and seemed to have good reviews for other services they offered (I scoured forums and facebook). I corresponded with them via email until I was relatively comfortable. paid them via paypal and shipped them my ECU last month (4/15). Their site provided an expected turn around time of 2-3 days from package receipt, which I guess was a bit optimistic. I reached out via email on 4/26 looking for the an order status (I was just looking for a "hey we are busy and this is taking longer than we anticipated".) and didnt receive a response (they were super prompt before). I opened an order status ticket on their website on 4/28. still no response. I even tried calling. So I opened a paypal claim with them on 5/4. I got a response there from a John who said he would reach out to Kevin for a status update (per some forum posts I've come across, Kevin Sykes does the actual tuning and such). They responded back on 5/10 to say the item has been shipped and provided a tracking number (showed "awaiting item" not "shipped") AND offered me a partial refund. Paypal indicated that if i accepted the partial refund offer, my case would close and I would not be able to reopen, so I waited a couple of days to see if the shipping status would change (USPS STILL shows "awaiting item" as of today). I sent a follow up message in the paypal chat on 5/12 in response to the partial refund offer and 5/17 looking for a shipping status. no response. So I've now escalated the issue to paypal for a full refund. I'm prepared to eat the cost of the ECU at this point (I paid ~$80 with shipping for it), at this point. I think waiting 30 days is more than reasonable.

TL; DR: avoid Syked ECU Tuning for PATS delete.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #678 · (Edited)
I still hang around Dodge Neon groups (we have a 1998 Neon ACR in a shed), and Kevin Sykes burned his reputation there too. He's caused a lot of drama and seems to hold the impression that we should be grateful that he bestows his services upon us plebs. See: Is Kevin @ syked ecu losing his mind? - neons.org.

He's getting sued by HPTuners too, for unlocking their devices (ironic that Brooks was named here too, as an employee of HPTuners): Docket for HP Tuners, LLC v. Sykes-Bonnett, 3:17-cv-05760 - CourtListener.com But yeah, avoid him. Tons of promises but doesn't deliver.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I still hang around Dodge Neon groups (we have a 1998 Neon ACR in a shed), and Kevin Sykes burned his reputation there too. He's caused a lot of drama and seems to hold the impression that we should be grateful that he bestows his services upon us plebs. See: Is Kevin @ syked ecu losing his mind? - neons.org.

He's getting sued by HPTuners too, for unlocking their devices (ironic that Brooks was named here too, as an employee of HPTuners): Docket for HP Tuners, LLC v. Sykes-Bonnett, 3:17-cv-05760 - CourtListener.com But yeah, avoid him. Tons of promises but doesn't deliver.

Last time I was on neons.org I think Sykes was the new ECU on the block, but honestly it doesn't surprise me that happened, the Neon guys have a long history of vendors who disappear in short order or generally cause drama. I still my old turquoise sport coupe....was a fun car with a 2.4 Turbo. I would probably buy another 1st gen as a daily driver even now...if I could find a platinum coupe.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #680 ·
Last time I was on neons.org I think Sykes was the new ECU on the block, but honestly it doesn't surprise me that happened, the Neon guys have a long history of vendors who disappear in short order or generally cause drama. I still my old turquoise sport coupe....was a fun car with a 2.4 Turbo. I would probably buy another 1st gen as a daily driver even now...if I could find a platinum coupe.
Yup, it's a long list of crooks there. I had a mint 1998 R/T with a Stratus 2.4L and Hahn kit, with the FMU (shudder). I sold it to a good friend of mine, now just the one Intense Blue ACR coupe. You and I share a lot of the same circles, I have an Evo 1 that has been draining my wallet for a decade now. I don't even have anything left for my '65. Ah, cars.

661 - 680 of 740 Posts