Vintage Mustang Forums banner
681 - 700 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I still hang around Dodge Neon groups (we have a 1998 Neon ACR in a shed), and Kevin Sykes burned his reputation there too. He's caused a lot of drama and seems to hold the impression that we should be grateful that he bestows his services upon us plebs. See: Is Kevin @ syked ecu losing his mind? - neons.org.

He's getting sued by HPTuners too, for unlocking their devices (ironic that Brooks was named here too, as an employee of HPTuners): Docket for HP Tuners, LLC v. Sykes-Bonnett, 3:17-cv-05760 - CourtListener.com But yeah, avoid him. Tons of promises but doesn't deliver.
I was able to get the full refund after all (just got an email from paypal - that was fast). I dont expect to find another ECU as cheaply as the one i had though :( .Definitely lesson learned. I'm going to write a review on BBB in hopes that it deters someone else from going though it.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Yup, it's a long list of crooks there. I had a mint 1998 R/T with a Stratus 2.4L and Hahn kit, with the FMU (shudder). I sold it to a good friend of mine, now just the one Intense Blue ACR coupe. You and I share a lot of the same circles, I have an Evo 1 that has been draining my wallet for a decade now. I don't even have anything left for my '65. Ah, cars.
I used a Hahn 20g on one of my Neons...was a great turbo...first one I built had a RRFPR.....that thing was horrid, never could get it to work correctly with the stupid MAP clamp....didn't take me long to ditch it for a MS1 unit(still have that unit on the shelf today)....still have quite a few old neon parts sitting around, from a 2.4L longblock to a 3" SRT4 downpipe....and Dakota and Liberty bellhousings for RWD conversions. Not sure what I would use them for these days, but can't bring myself to throw them away

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was able to get the full refund after all (just got an email from paypal - that was fast). I dont expect to find another ECU as cheaply as the one i had though :( .Definitely lesson learned. I'm going to write a review on BBB in hopes that it deters someone else from going though it.
Why did I receive the ECU in the mail today 😅. Whoops.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
Why did I receive the ECU in the mail today 😅. Whoops.
With PATS deleted?
That's their fault for having crappy customer service. Oh well, do the right thing and pay up. You have an ECU, at least.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With PATS deleted?
That's their fault for having crappy customer service. Oh well, do the right thing and pay up. You have an ECU, at least.
I dont think PATS has been deleted. havent tested it though. looks like he just slapped a new label onto the box i shipped him. the "priority mail" tape nor my label had been cut so box was never opened.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I didn't notice the year before. I thought these were supposed to be 15-17 engines? Isn't 18+ supposed to have some improvements?
John "says" alot of stuff... I guess they "upgraded" mine due to the mileage option I ordered. Considering he never sent the $400.00 SCT tuner as promised, I can't verify mileage or VIN so take that as you want.I'm still amazed the damn thing didn't short out or catch on fire on the couple occasions its been powered up. I literally got so disgusted by what I saw in that harness today that I simply walked away... I've been waiting for this motor since 11/2020, anticipation turned to dismay, dismay to anger, anger to disgust, disgust to apathy... it's just sad that folks screw others over so much nowadays. Oh well, we live and learn I guess... Tomorrow I'll borescope it and take some pics of the wiring carnage... I do have a quick question; when your customer orders a stand-alone engine and harness package, sans transmission control, how do you setup the PCM and what modifications do you do to the harness? It's a rhetorical question as I know the answer, but tune in tomorrow and I'll show you MARS' harness modifications and go into detail as to what was changed inside the PCM to "delete transmission control" Unfortunately, while I have 64 gigs of video today, I have very little audio. It's there but you can barely hear it so I'm gonna see if I can find a way to enhance it. BUT the video is there so I'll count myself lucky. As always, stay safe, have fun, and be good to one another.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
Gross. That wiring is what I'd expect from high school shop class, not a $5,000+ package. There's no excuse for forgetting the SCT Tuner on a shipment that is several weeks late, either. I don't see any reason to do business with them anymore.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Gross. That wiring is what I'd expect from high school shop class, not a $5,000+ package. There's no excuse for forgetting the SCT Tuner on a shipment that is several weeks late, either. I don't see any reason to do business with them anymore.
Yeah, its bad. Wait til tomorrow when I get some pics instead of screen grabs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
A few pics of the stellar wiring job provided by MARS... Gauge changes, colors changing mid loom.. butt splices everywhere, all layered, none staggered. NOTHING de pinned, just hack it off and tape it up. Wires too long? Just loop it up and down the harness a couple times so it can collect ALL the interference... No way in hell I'd run this crapfest.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
That's vomit-inducing, a total lack of workmanship. I'd be concerned all of their swaps on the market look like that. At least you can figure out what they've done with it and make a proper harness, which is valuable information. Otherwise, buying a parts car is the better, and more cost-effective way of doing this.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That's vomit-inducing, a total lack of workmanship. I'd be concerned all of their swaps on the market look like that. At least you can figure out what they've done with it and make a proper harness, which is valuable information. Otherwise, buying a parts car is the better, and more cost-effective way of doing this.
Yup, it's a ****fest. I'd bet money that I'm not the only one with a crap harness. It's cool, my harness is sitting on the engine and we hope to fire it up soon if the weather holds. Now I know what they are/aren't capable of.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Jeez Louise what a pain in the derriere... Still trying to work out a few bugs. Biggest issue now seems to be the DBW (APPS) whatever you want to call it. With >= 20% requested throttle the engine revs straight to 6000RPMs no matter if you release the gas pedal or not. It almost acts like a runaway diesel but can be killed at the switch. Other than that she runs like a top. We ordered up the HP tuners suite for it as MARS still has not sent the SCT tuner that was paid for with the motor... Summit has a ship date of "today" so I'm not sure what his BS excuse will be this time. He refuses to even answer my questions now... Excellent post sale customer service there boys and girls. The take away is my harness works, just got a bit of de-bugging and prettying up to do. Looks like an R2D2 style orgy at the moment. Pics and vids tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Thought you might be interested in this...just something I saw for sale on Facebook Marketplace locally, so I downloaded the pic:

I doubt the 3.5 is really mounted in there, but its useful as reference...note the turbos are not on the manifolds....my guess is the manifolds are touching the shock towers as is.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thought you might be interested in this...just something I saw for sale on Facebook Marketplace locally, so I downloaded the pic:

View attachment 799298

I doubt the 3.5 is really mounted in there, but its useful as reference...note the turbos are not on the manifolds....my guess is the manifolds are touching the shock towers as is.
Nothin a little trimming wont fix...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Still a ton of housekeeping to do on the prototype harness... but she runs, revs, charges, and idles. 2019 Eco running on a 2017 PCM and custom drop on harness.
6R80 trans install and wiring next on the agenda. The new 65-68 Mustang floorpan showed up mangled so we are arguing back and forth with CJ Pony parts about returning or repairing it. Once they decide what they want to do with my part we will cut Coop's out and then slide in the Eco/6R package. Once thats in place we'll design a nice trans crossmember with a DP support and maybe some subframe connectors and a DS safety loop.

681 - 700 of 740 Posts