Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have all heard too much already about that so called " dreaded" auction site.....and the steps that were taken to eliminate it from this site...but here's one more opinion...take it or leave it. I am a Mustang fanatic. There are not too many Mustangs that go for sale anywhere around me that I don't know about. I belong to this site, as well as many others, and I watch (that "dreaded" auction site) daily, to see what's available there too. I agree there are many horror stories out there from people that got screwed there...but I know there are many other good stories from people who have had a good experience there too. I know, because I have bought and sold parts and cars there....and never had a problem. Now here's my final thought. If I am looking for a part..like I was last week...I was looking for a Deluxe gauge bezel from a 68 Mustang. There were none here, none on any of the other sites either. BUT.....There was one on , with a "Buy it Now" price. I bought it, it looks great, I'm happy! I personally like that site, because there are millions of users with things I might need. Chances are that you can find what you are looking for there. Now.....what harm does it it do to be able to post a link here? If I'm buying a part or a car..I want to know if someone has one on that site that I might have missed or overlooked. I am a firm believer that too much regulation is not a good thing. I am also a firm believer that nobody is forcing anyone else to go there. I think that a simple note on the description saying that that ad contains a link to an auction site would have been better than banning them completely. I feel it is the purchasers responsibilty to make sure he/she does not get screwed there. Be responsible for your actions, check out the ad, pictures, go see the car in person,etc.....make sure you do everything you can to ensure you don't get taken. It's not someone else's responsibilty to watch out for your purchases....and banning that site from here...I feel was wrong. I know it's not my site, and I don't have any "say so" here..but that's my two cents. All I know is that it's kinda quiet in the "cars for sale" area...and even if they are on auction....they're still available.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I don't have a problem in the world going over to e-whatever to look for parts. Where I think the problem arises is the amount of bandwidth this site was being required to provide to allow people to double post their ads. Bandwidth costs money. Would we rather have a decent site with occasionally posted pictures, or would we rather use the same bandwidth to allow sellers on e-whatever to get more advertising for the sales? E-whatever makes money on the sales, but this site does not receive anything from reposting e-whatever ads on this site. BOB pays for the bandwidth for THIS site. I would rather keep this site as is, sans e-whatever, and make an effort to check e-whatever, than to compromise this site to give free advertising to a revenue generating site.

Carl

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have to agree with Carl. E- definately was becoming a problem on this site. while some of the posts were amusing, or informative, way too many were just relistings. Bob owns this site and pays for the add space. I personally would rather see Bob limit ads to individuals. Let the commercial and e--- folks buy add space on the intro page. (He already has one)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You make several good points in Eboy's defense. And....most of the folks here would agree that it is a good place to find rare parts and a fine concept in general. My wife and I have used it ourselves and think it is a great commercial sales forum.

That having been said, the practice of cluttering this site with what amounts to just a bunch of links to auctions runs counter to the "virtual car club" spirit of this site.

Even though they were posted in the "for sale" section, these were not "classifieds" at all and really provided the reader with nothing more than a request to leave the site and go to another. I think that if people want to hawk their auctions, let them pay for that service, just like they would anywhere else. Eboy is a for-profit site and business (and there's nothing wrong with that) -- this site is not.

As others have noted, the resources used to build empty "for sale" ads are paid for by Mr. Dooley - and mister Dooley owns this site. During the several years I've taken part in the forum, I've only seen Bob impose rules a couple of times. IMO, he is far from becoming "regulation happy". Bob has taken actions only after individuals and groups have pushed the envelope pretty far.

In any case, his site, his choice, and I guess that is really all that matters.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
The issue was not the links on the forum, but the abuse of the for-sale ads. People were not posting things for sale here, they were just posting links to their auctions at e-Bray.

Personally, I detest e-Bray, but that is personal. If you like it, use it. If you don't like it, don't use it. The fact that Bob chose to not allow direct links to e-Bray is Bob's decision and we should all stop complaining and abide by it.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
IIUC, a seller can still describe an item and post an auction number...I would surmise that most users of the internet know which auction site it is and how to get there.

I post links in the forum all the time to my web site, which promotes my business, and often shamelessly promote my race car (which still hasn't sold *G*) but I'm guessing that this is balanced by the information I offer to VMF'ers, which apparently few of the classifieds advertisers do.

If I was selling car stuff at auction, I wouldn't hesitate to use the exposure the VMF provides in the classifieds and would be happy to pay a small price for it as well. I'm hoping that's what Bob eventually moves to (fee-based advertising) in the classifieds. It appears some of the selling has dropped off (from others opinions...last time I was there was when Bob offered his FB for sale *G*) since eliminating auction links and I would expect further drop-off if fees were instituted. But, given the membership and web exposure that the VMF provides, IMO, that exodus would be short-sighted and short-lived...

Happy shopping!

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I agree eBoy is a great place to find things, as I use it on a daily basis as well. I also agree Bob shouldn't have to foot the expense for someone to post a sale ad doing nothing more than directing a person to eBoy.

What I would like to see, and I think it would benefit everyone, is to set up one separate forum for "eBoy Sales" (Cars & Parts). Then Bob could set it up similar to the Mustang club forum, where the ads have to be approved prior to posting, which in this case, meaning you would pay a set fee per ad (just in this section), before it would be posted.

Then to go a step further, the moderators of the sales forums, would delete any mention of auctions, item #s, etc. inside the cars & parts for sale only sections from that point on, meaning the only way to post a eBoy auction ads, would be to go through the proper forum and pay for it. If you try to post anywhere else except in the eBoy sales forum, your ad will be deleted.

This would eliminate ads in the sale forums, so folks who don't want them there, don't have to see them. It allows folks who want to post eBoy ads, to do so, and allows Bob to recoup some of the money he is paying out for bandwidth & such, for these eBoy ads. I'm sure Bob would have to figure out what he would need to charge, but I don't see anything wrong with $1.00 to $2.00 per ad for parts, and $5.00 for cars. eBoy charges a lot more than that, and they gladly pay it!

People pay to use eBoy to sell their items, why not let them pay a fee here that is a direct link to over 5000 Mustang & Ford enthusiast! Bob is already set up on PayPal, to make things simple, There are already Moderators for the sales areas, heck I would even volunteer to help moderate to make it work.

Even if Bob wanted to test the waters for 60 days or so, to see if there was enough interest would be great! If it wasn't worth the extra time or effort, then he could close the eBoy forum, and we wouldn't have to see or make post like these wishing there was an outlet for eBoy auctions on the VMF, because the attempt was made, and auction folks were to CHEAP to take advantage of the great service Bob offered!

Just my thoughts!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have not been paying attention to this VMF issue, so I'm going to just jump in with my opinion...

Part of being a VMFer is participating in our various forums (chat, postings, classifieds, trades), doing things for the good of the forum, and helping our fellow VMFers. Over the past few years we've gotten to know each other pretty well, thru some good times, and some quite tragic events.

Advertising an auction on our site, is like saying to your friends, "Hey, dudes, I've got these parts for sale. Do you want them? If you do, you'll to have to compete with people we don't know so I can get the best price". Or, "Hey, dudes, I've got these parts for sale that would be just perfect to finish your car. If you can beat So-and-so's price of $$$, they're yours. I know we're friends, but this is business"...

A true VMFer would give their friends a first crack at the parts. Possibly accepting slightly less $$ than could be found elsewhere, to help a friend out. I've even given parts away for free.

Maybe Bob could setup another section just for e-*ay listings. Maybe he could set it up so that it searches e-*ay daily with a search string we select.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
FYI ,,I too thought why not let it take up bandwidth etc as I'm a car guy not a computer guru,,But at the corn feed I asked BOB what his costs where to operate this site for us and to say the least I was shocked I won't say the cost but it was more than 2 new car payments,and that is because of the size of the usage,,so to that I say see ya E\bay,, and THANKS BOB

·
Registered
680 Posts
I believe we all just owe Bob a great vote of thanks for this site, and the way he runs it.....I would be lost without this site...way too much time on my hands.
I feel that Bob has the right to do anything that he seen fit with his site.
If someone wants to advertise their stuff on Eway, let them start their own web site.....
They could charge for the listings, and charge for people looking at the listings. Then they could pay Bob for a front page ad on VMF for their listings.....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sorry about the second posting, but I forgot to say something.
I look at Eway all the time, and even buy some parts, but, I was very happy when the "FIX" was started. I was very tired of ads with links to Eway.....
Thanks Bob

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have only been on this site for a short time. I think Bob does a great job with it. We all know where the other site is so why should he take up his space. I know that I don't post a lot, but I'm in here two or three times a day. All I can say is a BIG thank you to everyone, I have learned sooo much reading all the post. I think thats why I don't post much,I can always find the answer to my problem.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I was a bit misunderstood...my idea of a fix would have been a pay -by -ad basis too. I pay (that auction site), I would have GLADLY paid here too. I just think a total ban on the was not a fix. I love this site too, and thank Bob for all the work and money that goes into it, but I just think there had to have been a better solution to this problem. I too am a Mustang hobbyist, but I deal parts too. When I first joined this site about two years ago, I thought I was selling parts to other "hobbyists" and "friends" at a low rate to help them out.....only to see the parts being sold a couple weeks later on (that auction site) at a huge profit by the new owner. That's why I went there...Sorry if I offended anyone, but sometimes a "ban" really is not the best solution. Let's have a "pay-by-the-ad" solution instead.

G

·
0 Posts
The ideal solution you seek is to filter DBAY from the posts in the classifieds but not on the discussion forums.

If it could have been done easily then I'm sure it would have been done already. The filters are used to eliminate bad words and I'm sure the software designers weren't thinking of this situation when they designed the feature. A custom fix is needed or plead your case to Infopop and maybe they'll change the filtering in a future release of the software.

·
2,695 Posts
I only have one point to make about the whole ehay thing...

Although I think that whizco's idea about paying to post ads on a per ad basis
in a special ehay section sounds like the best idea yet -

I think there is one thing that people tend to forget when it comes to the VMF...

Any policing / moderating of this site has to be done either in Bob's free time, or
he needs to find a moderator to watch it all the time, and to approve ads, collect
money, etc...

A pain in the butt - I think - if one is also trying to run a business.

If I were running the VMF (and I will say that I definately am *not*) I would kill
anything that only caused me more work in the long run.

This site usually does pretty well in running itself. If it got to be a big chore, it
might just go away all together some day.

Something none of us want I'm sure.

Just my $0.02.

-Zim

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
The way I see it....if people are gonna link Eboy auction on VMF...Bob should get a cut of the listing fees.....

just my 2 cents

1 - 16 of 16 Posts