Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, does anyone remember exactly just how far out the Boss 9's towers were moved ? I know Ford had Kar Kraft in Brighton do the work, but don't remember how far out they went. But looking at Dennis' work, and others, has me thinking. How far out did they go ? I was thinking, because Kevin Manley is re-popping the stuff, could the B9 tower swap become at least as practical for more room in the bay as some of the other more radical options ? could keep the same spindle and steeering, run Shaun's SoT or Opentrack's uppers and strut rod swivels,and have lots of room. What sez you ? LSG

·
Registered
847 Posts
Cost of the tower kit alone would be a major issue . . . Here is a set of Kevin Manly's Boss 429 shock towers for sale (directy from him) if you really want to foot the bill:

Boss 429 shock towers | eBay

Only $4500 plus $200 shipping

Lots of good photos there for those who are curious about the towers:.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
66C, if you could measure between the two inside bolt holes at the top of the tower, I could compare that to what my ordinary 1969 is. I'm guessing the towers were pushed out acouple of inches each, but thats just my eyeball guess. LSG

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
A little hard to measure to be right on cause of the carbs are in the way but looks to be close to 34 1/2 or so...Hope that helps you..

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I am going to my garage and will measure where I am to start with. My wild thought is to purchase a Boss 9 export brace, then cut welds and push existing towers out, then section them as Dennis did. Would have to add some of the bracing, and the result would be a very much NOT concours Boss 9 type tower. Might not look exactly like yours, but would give loads of room, without the hassles caused by the MII - style kits. Don't want rack & pinion, don't want aftermarket spindles. In my minds eye, it works. Just a daydream at this point, but we're all on lockdown / house arrest, my synagogue is closed, so, what else have I got to do but brainstorm ? LSG

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
66C, well, I went to the garge, and tried to measure. I got 30 & 1/2 inches, which fits with my memory of the towers moving out 2 inches each. So, now I'll start keeping my eyes open for a B9 spring tower brace. There is absolutely zero chance I'll even start cutting or pushing towers around until new winter. But I can keep an I open for Parts. I will write to Kevin and see if he sells just parts instead of just tower kits. LSG

·
Super Moderator
10,727 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I did that car over 30 years ago. I found it in a garage down the street from my parents and it was drag raced for years..Yea it was not in the best of shape but almost no rust..A lot of the good stuff was missing. Not many pictures at all but I will see if I can scrape some up..
Oh and I drive that car to high school?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thanks, I am going to my garage and will measure where I am to start with. My wild thought is to purchase a Boss 9 export brace, then cut welds and push existing towers out, then section them as Dennis did. Would have to add some of the bracing, and the result would be a very much NOT concours Boss 9 type tower.
Sounds like a fun and doable project. Hope that you can go through with it (although I don't understand the need for even more room than what my project has unless you are planning on a wider engine.) Its your vision so I'd say run with it.

With coil overs I would work toward strengthening the upper mount as much as possible. Possibly with tubular or rectangular roll cage like construction from a plate the fire wall to the upper shock mount and down to the frame for support. (Maybe hide it all in the wheel well???)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dennis, a friend of mine has a 69 with a 428 FE. Have driven that and loved it. But, helping with spark plug changeouts and header installs was enough to teach me I would love more room. Right now the car has a 302, like it came with. Lots of room. BUT, right after I bought the car ( 1981 ) I went to Total Performance in Detroit and bought, from John V, a hydraulic lifter side oiler block ( used, STD bore ) and 427MR heads, NIB. Later aquired C7ZX dual quad dual plane, and 410 Merc crank. Had big in / big out toploader, but sold it when Tremec 5 spds came out. My long long long term goal is to run a 427MR stroked to at least 452. This summer will just be the 302. When gas was $4 per gallon, I could get 20~22 with the 302. Now that gas is under a dollar, AND E85 is also at the pump, AND I am retired, I want to get the bigger engine in there. But, having seen what the FE headers for that combo looks like, and changed plugs on them, I would love more room for plug changing and maybe be able to modify headers with a less severe downturn at the port exits. This summer will definately be the 302. So, I don't HAVE to do anything. But having seen what you and others have done, makes me think can happen, and I'll have towers a my stock power steering. Whats not to like ? LSG

·
Registered
847 Posts
Way cool project LSG! Love to see people putting FE's into their classics. Are you on the east coast? Our local drag track hosts an annual FE reunion and some kick ass cars show up.

I fully understand the issues with working on an FE as I had a 428cj in a Torino when I was a teenager. It took me about 6 hours to change the spark plugs with the smog air tubes on the stock exhaust. I had a radiator leak and it got overly hot one summer evening and started smoking. Stupid me decided to rering the motor while leaving it in the car. FE heads are darn heavy to install yourself over the fenders. LOL

I have a friend that has a 521 Lima in a 67 Stang. He did the basic notch of the towers and really doesn't have issues with plugs. What he hates is that the header tubes cross back and forth under the oil pan and that he needs to drop them in order to work on the clutch. With more room he could alleviate some of that mess.

I hope that you go through with you plans-the end result will be awesome!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dennis, I have wanted to do this for years, like about 35 yrs ! First the 2002 302 w/ 87 heads goes in, then the C4 comes out and the AOD goes in. Then I want to dyno test, then swap on 289 heads that I added 1.9 / 1.6 valves and ported. I want to show what the 289 heads can do. Before I retired, we had a circle track customer who had to run iron heads from the car's manufacturer. He thought a set of 66 289 heads we ported and increased valve size on were the best heads he had ever run. I'm tired of people describing 289 heads as crappy. We believe the irons can support 450 hp.

Also have a 9 inch axle from a 69 390 car, I figure the bigger engine will need it. And I have read with great interest about opening up the pinch point on the inside front of the rear wheelwells. I would not trust my own welding on sheet metal, but I could do the cutting and fitting. Also wanted to add the B 302 bracing on the bottom of the tower. My car has rust spots where the towers meet the aprons, so it is needing attention anyway. but the lower parts of the towers are very nice, being an auto trans small block car. Already added the clutch pedal years ago, its there, doing nothing, just waiting. LSG

·
Registered
847 Posts
Taking care of the pinch point at the front of the wheel wells is easy. Mine only took a small triangular piece of sheet metal when I minitubed the rear. I also notched the rear frame rails behind the axle when I did the minitub on the 65 and that required a little more work..

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
You guys putting these boat anchors in your cars...sigh. Too much work to put too heavy a motor in.

:devilish:

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SM69, You only WISH you had an 8V 427 MR with a stroker crank ! The reason I chose that, after I had purchased the car, was looking at header choice. I could find headers to run an FE with powersteering, power brakes, and airconditioning. The only 385 / Lima headers I found would have required me to give up PS and A/C. If I could have kept them, I would have bought a 429SCJ, with the big heads. John V had them when I bought my stuff. It was great in his shop. I opened the plastic bags the heads were in and got to breathe 1965 Dearborn atmosphere ! Awesome !

So, if it were your choice to make, what would YOU put in, and why ? LSG

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
@LSG - please know I’m just tweaking you big block guys. I fully support putting whatever you want into your own car. I even like the no shock towers look but not the suspension choices you have to use to get that look and all that space.

If my earlier comments about big blocks being boat anchors didn’t get me any flames, this might...???

I’d consider a Chevy LSx motor and Chevy automatic or a T56. Those motors are cheap, reliable as gravity and make big power cheaply. No, I wouldn’t put one in something rare like a GT, Mach 1, Boss, etc. but into a 6 cylinder car? You bet. I really liked what @DCx was doing with his '67 coupe Lsx build.

That being said, I do have some standards...only Ford motors with pushrods should go into Cobra kit cars (and the only kit worth building is the FFR cars).

My own build is a 331 Ford roller, TK3550, 8 inch rear, Watts link, 94-04 Cobra brakes, etc. so I’m on your side...so far. ?

I just have a real fondness for a stroker small block and have a hard time, beyond looks and bragging rights I guess, with a big block.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Split the difference and go Cleveland..... lol.

Seems like just notching the shock towers is the way to go.
That $4500 for replacement shock towers is just insane.

If I can do mine, I think the average guy with a decent amount of fabrication skills can do it.
I was just about to weld mine up, but my heart is in no shock towers at all.

I know it isn’t the most popular choice, but I will give up a little suspension performance for room.
I just mainly cruise to different local events and then to the drag strip a few times a year.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike, I would like to learn to weld sheet metal. Right now, I can stick weld with an arc, but don't own a MIG or a TIG. But I would like to learn. And next winter, well, maybe. I REALLY like Dennis' notches. If I could do that, AND push them out a couple of inches,......I think I'd be pretty happy. LSG

1 - 20 of 27 Posts