Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Father's Day to all the fathers on this forum.

My daughter bought me The Club for Father's Day as a means of theft deterrent.

Would like to hear people's thoughts on the effectiveness of it and whether or not I should keep it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The one that goes around the brake pedal and steering wheel? Put it on, sit in the seat, stand on the pedal and push down on the steering wheel where the club is. Bent steering wheel down and now the club can be removed w/o any tools. And at the very least, now you need a new steering wheel.

Happened to me.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I was sure this post was about being a father or in the "Club" Happy fathers day to those who are in the Fathers Day Club.

The other club does nothing to protect your car, they just bend the steering wheel and get it out of the way.

·
Administrator
13,016 Posts
Take it back and trade it in. We put one on my daughter's car. Car stolen in front of house while we were home. Worthless.
Stan

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,354 Posts
If the thief is equipped with bolt cutters he just cuts the steering wheel and away it goes.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Happy Father's Day to all the fathers on this forum.

My daughter bought me The Club for Father's Day as a means of theft deterrent.

Would like to hear people's thoughts on the effectiveness of it and whether or not I should keep it.

Thanks
Like others have mentioned, it is easy to get around. I suppose if there are 2 cars that the thief is eyeing then maybe he would take the one without the club but I wold not put $$ on it. I'd just keep it and use it--it was nice of her to give it to you but I would not use it as my sole theft determinant.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I recall a news story some time ago of a chop shop that was raided by police and among other things, the police found a discarded pile of "Clubs" in the corner ! If that story is true, it probably is not as effective as the manufacturer would have you believe.

·
Premium Member
11,434 Posts
If I were a thief and saw a Club on a car I would figure that the owner was serious about protecting his car and took other precautions such as kill switch, fuel shutoff solenoid, etc and it would'n't be worth my time to try to steal that one.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's worth all the world in sentamental value but as far as ANY car protection - forget it. At best if it means very little to you its a regift for someone you don't like at christmas. Bill

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I had a Club that went from the steering wheel to the brake pedal. After a year or so it just snapped in two pieces whilst I was putting it on one day!!! I bought an alarm with a pager (remember those?). It had a piezoelectric senser and the box would page me if somebody was messing with the car. Still have it. New, never installed. Didn't want to risk my life stopping a thief red handed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've always been a fan of good insurance. If someone wants my car, they'll get it. A club, kill switch, alarm, whatever isn't going to stop a determined thief

I leave my car doors unlocked, especially the mustang. I'd rather you open the door than cut the top or break a window

The nice part of the club your daughter bought you is that I think they'll pay your deductible if the car is stolen. So it may be worth putting it on to say $500 or so

·
Registered
283 Posts
when I went to college put a Club on my car with a points cut out, and fuel cutout. Went up stairs to take a shower , when I looked out the cars was gone ! True story !

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Regardless of what theft deterrents are used in a car, if the thieves want the car bad enough it will be taken - - even if you are driving it at the time.
Get replacement value insurance.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Years ago I had an employer who believed in deferred maintenance on his forklifts. One day, one of the dock guys had a parking brake fail on a fairly steep portion of the parking lot, and the lift got away from him, rolled down the hill, past a customer's truck, and neatly speargunned my (then) all-original '65 convertible. Luckily for me the fork missed the sill by about 6", and stopped before it pierced my firewall. Unluckily, the textured interior of a door is impossible to repair. Also unluckily, my employer was an unrepentant tightwad, and many months later he still hadn't either filed a claim or reimbursed me for the replacement door I'd tracked down (forget paying for labor).

We had a problem with someone shooting out windows in the shop trucks. At least once a week, one of the trucks lost a window. This had been going on for a year or so. One day I needed to work early, and I was the first one in. I unlocked the gate to the yard, and noticed glass next to one of the trucks. Apparently we'd been hit again. On closer examination, I noticed that there was a lot of glass on the ground, but hardly any inside the cab, which struck me as odd. That's when it struck me- the end of The Club™ was sticking maybe an inch out the driver's window. Nice. Turns out we weren't getting windows shot out at all, but our own drivers were slamming the doors shut and blowing them out with The Club™.

Not my finest moment, but I kept that piece of information to myself for the remainder of my tenure there. Months further yet down the line, the owner's mother stopped by the store and got to talking to me about the Mustang she'd owned years before, and asked why I'd never fixed my door. When I told her, she marched into the office and came right back out with a check.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts