Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally and others have mentioned on this forum in the past that the Cooper Cobra GT white letters are ugly. The letters are too big and blocky. Well, I was looking at tires online and on some website (Discount Tire? Tire Rack?) I read that the Cobra GT now has new stylish white letters. I didn't find a photo of the new tires but I'll be looking.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
And probably every other 60's - 70's car forum hopefully.

If it's tasteful they could kill the overpriced BFG's

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I'm running a set now, black walls out, and I've gotten some compliments on the cool cobra snakes on the sides. I've only had them a few months but the letters look more like the older style on the earlier post. I haven't looked at the white letters on the inside. I try not to drive my car in the rain but I have gotten caught in a couple of showers and it has done just fine.

Attachments

Reactions: EvenFlow

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I like the older style.
Running them on my Ranchero.
Everybody has different tastes.
Russ

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I am not a fan of white lettering anyway...never have been(even when I have run such tires) Tires always look cleaner when they are plain black....except whitewalls with certain old school wheels...but even whitewalls look better with the actual branding black

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang 302 V8 C4 Automatic
199 Posts
I have looked at getting coopers earlier this year. I plan to get them once my car has the engine back in it and is road-worthy. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey you Cooper guys, look here!
You could sell about twice as many tires if you would go easy on the white letters. Look at this old Firestone Wide Oval from the 60's/70's. It's perfect! Now just copy the font and size. And all the sidewall needs to say is Cooper and Cobra GT opposite to it. Everybody knows it's a radial tire so there's no need to put the Radial in white letters.
Trust me guys, I know what I'm talking about here and I won't even charge you for the free advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
I really enjoy driving my new Cooper Cobra Radial G/T tires! Absolute night and day difference from the low quality BFG's that sell for more $... Performance alone the Coopers are the way to go.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,488 Posts
I personally like the RWL & have them on all of our vehicles but I prefer the ROWL like their truck tires, not the block letters on the Cobra car tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I put a second set of Coopers on my 97 TBird yesterday. They are the cars stock size 215/70/15. A bit small you might think. If a classic Mustang suspension were modified to resemble the TBird no one would consider using a wheel/tire this small. Especially if the car weighs over 3800 lbs. But the small size just seems to naturally miss many potholes. They ride great and handle well on the street. Wider tires might brake better. In return, you can fast in deep water! My TBird has a Cobra 3.73 rear and Trac-Loc as well as traction assist. It works well with small tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Does anyone know if any of the tire companies still make just plain whitewalls? They look good on my 66 and I want to keep them that way.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
That new Cooper Cobra font does look slightly better, but now its a bit modernish looking. Wish they would have gone for a more vintage look. I was excited for a moment about the thought of white letter tires again, but will probably just get another set of Cooper CS5 Ultra black wall tires in a year or two.

·
Registered
990 Posts
That new Cooper Cobra font does look slightly better, but now its a bit modernish looking. Wish they would have gone for a more vintage look. I was excited for a moment about the thought of white letter tires again, but will probably just get another set of Cooper CS5 Ultra black wall tires in a year or two.
I slapped on some Cs5's and then did power tour this year. Quite impressed with them actually!!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Someone at the club meeting last night mentioned that tire manufacturers are getting away from white letter tires. Apparently he was looking for some, finding it difficult, and spoke to a couple companies, and that's what he was told. No issue for me cuz I'm not big on the white letter tire, but some might be affected.
Granted, this information is probably about as reliable as the Ukranian whistleblower, so take it for what it is.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I slapped on some Cs5's and then did power tour this year. Quite impressed with them actually!!

I am too. Did you get the Ultra Touring or Grand Touring? I have the Ultras and like them at least as well if not better than the Yokohamas I had before. I drove cross country with these CS5's and was very happy with them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts