Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I mentioned that one of my friends got involved in a scam on an internet auction site. He was taken for a considerable amount of money. That was only the start of his troubles.

He reported it to the FBI, since it crosses state lines, and they basically told him that they're too busy and it's only a concern to them if it's over 100 grand. He contacted the local Police and they said that since it didn't happen entirely within their jurisdiction they can't do anything about it. The bad guys think they have won, but they haven't.

The guy left a nice trail of information and now we know who he is. He is going to have to account for his actions (jail time). It's just the frustration that the FBI and local Police can't be bothered with a paltry 7 grand theft. The other thing that irritates me is that we've done all the work for them - all they have to do is arrest the guy! But they can't be bothered......

GRRRRRRRRRRRR! ::

·
Registered
306 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I am a network engineer for a local government (contractor). A few weeks ago the county web server was hacked. We traced the hacker to his ISP and forwarded the information to the FBI. You guessed it, they were too busy, and yes 100K does seem to be the limit where they get involved. The thing that you must realize is that computer crimes are rampant, and like it or not do cross jurisdictions. There just is not enough man power to go after them all. It does suck but that is the reality when every teenager with a PC can easily learn how to do it. Just my .02

-Rob

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
David - The FBI has redirected most of its manpower to the terrorism fight these days. However, there are other federal agencies that have more time and resources. If the crime involved the US Mail in any way, then the guy may well have committed mail fraud. The Postal Inspector's Office might want to hear about it. You might also find a sympathetic ear in your local office of the US Attorney, who prosecutes all Federal crimes.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's refreshing to know that this country is still run for the wealthy. The fact that $7000 for you may be like $100,000 to someone else doesn't really matter to anyone but you. The funny thing is, as a poor slob you're probably paying more taxes than the wealthy guy, who can avoid them.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a lot of good friends who are cops, and they do a great job. But this whole "since it ain't a sexy crime, we aren't interested in upholding the law" attitude makes me want to puke.

Bad cop! No Doughnut!

Dave :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts