Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OOPS... I didn't know the info would be dropped out when the lock was dropped. I had the Saturday report there. Anyway.
SATURDAY: About 100 cars showed up. A handful of vintage ones. Here is the run down. Forgive me if I missed some.
No 65/66's except there a 65 fastback running in the Wildfire race class. 30 mile drive then 3 runs in a row without opening the hood or making repairs.
A 67 coupe, red with some race features like a scoop
My GT 350, yeah, yeah,
2 Boss 302's the yellow one never opened it's hood, the Calyipso Coral one had matching orange interior upholstery.
2-4 Mach I's, one tubbed with a 428-won, best interior,
71 0r 72 blue Mach I reported with it's original paint.
A REAL 327 Cobra
A Boss 429 with about 23,000 miles
The Cobra won some kind of reward.
2 67 Fairlanes, one with a blown 428, the other one had a 428 too.
SUNDAY:
My 67 GT 350, and Mike Nowaks 65 GT 350. Some kid asked me if my car was an Elenore. I said "this one is real, Eleanore is a fake movie car like that DeLorean in Back To The Future"
A Boss 351 , Blue with white interior.
A 65 GT Convertible
The tubbed 428 Mach I for Sat.
A RED Mach I with huge wheels and a Boss 429-like scoop
There were a few other early cars.

The RAIN: small drizzle started late morning, then ended. Then restarted after I dried my car. Light rain, so I grabbed my umbrella and took a walk in the pits. Got to the far end and the driving rain started. Ended up walking in 1" of water, which was even deeper in some spots, and it kept raining for about 1 1/2 hours. Had to have been at least 1" one rain.

The close call: When I arrived I was directed to park in a choice spot where the fence took a turn, and it was on an aisle. I asked the guy directing cars to leave the spot open next to me as I knew Mikes 65 Shelby was coming. He said no he had to fill in the spots (Yeah, like they FILLED the place yesterday?). I was cleaning my car for about 20 minutes when Mike arrived and they directed him to the front up by the show tent. I ask the &*#$% if I could park up there next to him and he said "That's for the Shelby's". I said, could you clean off your glasses, that's a 67 Shelby I drove in over there!". "oh, OK move it there" he said.
Later during the driving rain, for whatever reason the Show director was driving his 4 door F-350 dually truck down the aisles, BACKED UP INTO THE CAR THEY PARKED IN THE PLACE WHERE I WAS BEFORE I MOVED. 98 or so custom Mustang convertible, bent in the fender, knocked off the Saleen like lower nose, broke the head light. Oh, the car was painted that flip-flop paint where I think you gotta paint everthing at one time.
Peoples Choice: that red Mach I with the big scoop

·
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
The original post is still there - it just wound up down the list quite
a bit cuz the original message was posted on July 10.

Glad to hear that the weather cooperated for at least one of the days...

-Zim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Couldn't make the show on Saturday, so I went on Sunday. What a mistake!! I was very dissapointed in the early model showings asside from the boss 351 and roddster's gt350. I got to meet and talk to roddster for quite a while and had a nice time. Very nice guy with a great car. I expected more VMFers to be there. The swap was lame($800.00 for a "N" carrier that looked like it had seen beter days). The track made a very sad attempt to try and continue the racing after the rains let up, and the vendors all packed up and left as well as half of the racers. To put a cap on the allready crappy day, there were a couple of clowns in the parking lot that found it fun to tear up the grass in the parking area with their 4x4's and sling mud all over peoples cars(including mine).

·
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
I think the weather killed it on Sunday.

The vintage cars usually stay hidden away if there is talk of rain,
unfortunately...

-Zim

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wanted to add that, for the admission price ($20.00 per day) they could at least give out more awards, I felt that either the 65 Shelby or the 71 Boss 351 should have gotten something. Oh, I mean more than that Top 20 Mustangs door stop they handed out.
And "best Stereo" (?) I wrote "who cares" on the ballot.
And they had "best 79 and up Mustang", well, how about one for the early cars?

·
Registered
310 Posts
The lack of trophies kept me away. Not that I was going to win one, but 20 bucks is a lot of money for the few classes they had set up (not to mention the charge wasn't to offset the cost of the show). Yeah, I know it was a drag strip show, but test and tune on Tuesdays is just as exciting (albeit with far fewer Fords).

G

·
0 Posts
Rodster, that was a close call. The rain for sure sucked, we only had 68 cars at Hooters Fox Valley on sunday. And this show is an easy 100 plus show on any other day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts