Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight guys, I just dropped my motor back(1965 289 c-code, c-4 a/t) in and im trying to put the torque converter nuts on. How hard should it be to hand crank w/ a socket on the lower pully? Also, which way should the rotation go? My first time for doing this, so any help would be appreciated. It almost feels like something is bound up...or am I just not pushing hard enough? The thought crossed my mind to use the starter to turn the motor, but if it was that tough, it seems like something would be bound up, so? Also, does the pos or neg go to the coil and where does the other cable go? Sorry so long, just kinda up a creek w/out a paddle type thing...
-Ryan

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
make sure your converter is seated all the way, very common with automatics, binding up the engine with a converter that is not all the way into the trans. I clipped
this from a trans install article (happens to be for a AOD but you get the idea) "Installing the converter requires some technique. Rotate the converter while pushing it forward, you feel and hear three clunks for each time it engages a shaft (The outer most shaft is the stator support, then the input shaft, and the 3-4 shaft.) The 3-4 shaft is usually the toughest to engage so be patient It MUST engage all three shafts. If it doesn't you will blow the front pump in the transmission the minute you fire up the motor...no joke".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts