Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tony (TFOB) has graciously offered up his old 351c block that was sitting in the garage, and even stripped it for shipping. Anyone know the exact weight of a bare 351c block? If its over 150 shipping won't be a viable option.

Also thanks to grrrr. There is a very good chance grrr and tfob will cross paths on Friday, if that happens, tony can hand the block off to grr who says he can meet me in cleveland. 7 hours for me each way. Total cost is gas estimated at $150.

So....if the block is under 150lbs bare (which I honestly don't know) shipping would be like $100-120 bucks, or I can just spend a day, meet some virtual friends, and pick it up.

I am open for suggestions.....off couse if I pick it up I can also pick up aron66's rearend for him, maybe I can get him to split the cost of fuel with me ;)

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uhh ohhhh
I found this through google:
A naked 1969 351W, std bore block, with 2-bolt main caps = 165 lbs.
> A naked 1972 351C, std bore block, with 4-bolt main caps = 165 lbs

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Wow! I found a bit about another block, which weighed 92# and was heavier than "any Cleveland" block the guy had seen. So... your guess is as good as mine.

Can't Tony put it on his bathroom scale for you?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tony's already doing alot, I figure I can get a good idea of the real weight to make a final decision about drive out or ship it to me without having him wrangle it onto a scale.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
My ALUMINUM Fontana block was 105 pounds bare......I know a Cleveland block is more than 150 pounds. The 60 degree V8's are the lightest blocks that there are......That is why a 347 is better than a 351 because you are saving yourself more than 75 pounds for a complete engine......

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
My ALUMINUM Fontana block was 105 pounds bare......I know a Cleveland block is more than 150 pounds. The 60 degree V8's are the lightest blocks that there are......That is why a 347 is better than a 351 because you are saving yourself more than 75 pounds for a complete engine......

um....60 degree V8?

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
I don't know how you are doing on the head search since it's hard to keep on top of this ;) but I noticed on eHay the other night a guy was selling a set of C heads he had built for a stroker ... and the price seemed really reasonable with no reserve. Take a look over there.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I can tell you my Mexican 302 (90%) weighed approx. 135 lbs bare with main caps. That was on the good ol' bathroom scale so it may be +/- a lb or two.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Let's see here... 7 hrs, averaging 50 mph, is 700 miles; call it 750 to make the math simpler. $150 as a fuel
estimate means you’re figuring $0.20 per mile. At $1.80 per gallon, that’s only 9 mpg. Durn bubba, I’ve gotten better than that towing a 20k lb. trailer! I'm happy the Powerstroke isn't that thirsty... then again, the 460 I had before it only got 11-12 traveling. I guess for a pumped up 4x4 that's not bad.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it only got 15 mpg new. 18 on the open on the highway driving to CA.

put on a set of 38 inch tires gets the 4.56 gears at a great RPM for fuel economy but the rolling resistance is sooo high on the tires, it litterally drops 15 mph when you take your foot off the gas....luckily though, in the left lane, they move outta my way ;)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I can tell you my Mexican 302 (90%) weighed approx. 135 lbs bare with main caps. That was on the good ol' bathroom scale so it may be +/- a lb or two.
....90%???? :: I must have meant 90 degrees. ::

Anyway, sounds like the project will get done one way or another.

Good luck. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts