Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cowl was leaking tremendously from all over. I bought one of those plexi covers and that did crapola. I didn't want to rip out the whole thing and repair all the metal since it seemed like the biggest PITA ever imaginable. I think it's a good time to mention that I'm building a restomod. So what I did was fill the cowl completely with expanding insulation spray foam to seal all the cracks, sanded what was sticking out of the grates and wiper holes down and fiberglassed right over it. It actually came out really good! I have to drill holes for the washer pump hoses and spray it. I'll post a pic of it when It's complete.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The PO of my 65 did that, it traps moisture and causes even more rust. At least you sealed it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ok, Im not sure what the foam is like over there in the US. But if its the same stuff that I have in mind/which is available over here, I think it might not have been the best stuff to use since this foam actually stores water. So even if all holes are closed, humidity might get stored by the foam and cause new corrosion?! Just a thought. Hope Im wrong... .

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4 cans o foam

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I'd figure on a restomod you would want a heater and/or AC... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fresh air can still enter the car;)

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Okay let me get this straight..you filled the cowl vent until it squished out then you fiberglassed it and sanded it smooth?..so this mean you have a smooth cowl no vents?..tell me you just threw this out on the forum to make us chuckle..

G

·
0 Posts
LOL! A more sophisticated fix might be to weld some 1/4" plate over the vents! Welcome to "Missouri Trailer Trash"!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Redneck--heck, people call ME redneck and I wouldn't do that! Out here in Inbredville, Oregon, we call doing stuff like that "Bubba-ing" the car. For the car's sake, I hope it at least slows down the rusting process...

G

·
0 Posts
Excuse me, but isnt that foam combustible if it comes in contact with burning fuel? One small engine fire and the car will go up like the Fourth of July.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Someday, when you sell this car, you're going to make someone very happy.....

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
There was a '66 convertible locally that had this done. I looked at it in the for sale paddock at a show once....rusty & rough, but I could not figure out what was really visually wrong with the car.....then I noticed it - NO COWL VENTS.

The owner had bondo'd it closed, and thought he'd done a great service for the next owner. Poor soul.... :*^( Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
You could make a pan for the bottom of the car, fill that too and make an airboat out of it like Jesse James built on Monster Garage.......

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never knew there were sooo many funny people here. You should be a comedian BLMustang67

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
1/ You foam and bondo the cowl vents
2/ You use coat hanger to support your exhaust system
3/ You use duct tape to support your radiator hose
4/ You hang an air freshener on the rear view mirror
5/ You hang a garter belt on the rear view mirror
6/ You forget that closing up the vents means the defroster works like
7/ ....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts