Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
1). Your float was likely set too high. Some factory carb specifications, like Holley's) end up setting the float too high A gas smell in the garage is NOT going to happen when the fuel system is working correctly.

2). Your float bowl drying up was not normal. Although that situation can be difficult to diagnose, it's not impossible to cure. There is often a flaw in the carbcasting, and no amount of carb kits is going to fix that.

Z
I really don't want to hijack this thread, but it is the stock Autolite 2100 2V, and the float is set to their specs. I've never had float problems that I know of.
So let me ask you, how long does it take your fuel bowl to dry up? I mean, eventually it should- right? The bowl vent on this carb is linked to the throttle and when the throttle is closed the vent is open. The vent hole is uncovered with fuel directly below it and it is open to the atmosphere.
I've even had it on the bench with the bowl filled for days and it doesn't seem to be leaking down anywhere, but the fuel does disappear. I finally gave up and just considered it normal and due to evaporation. You're the first really knowledgeable person I've run across that insists it isn't normal. Its not exactly a topic that comes up often.
I wonder if this is a problem specific to this carburetor? How about it guys do your 2100s stink up the garage? Or just the opposite- do any of them NOT stink up the garage? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
these days, if i need to tune a carbed engine, it takes me about as long to tune one, as it does for modern tech to set up the equipment and measure the gas levels.

maybe one day i will pick up an inexpensive exhaust gas analyzer, who knows.
I can tuna fish w/mayo. I can tune a Holley 5 ways on a Sunday.
What I can't do is tuna anything :grin2:when the temp is under 50* before it even starts, within a few revolutions adjust choke and ratios then continue adjusting as it warms like a monkey under the hood the rest of the day, can you? and a trailer hitch to pull the sniffer:)

EFI will ever increase just like electronic ignitions.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm curious if anyone has gone EFI and regretted it?

I'm not a purist, but i also feel guilty that I'm killing the classic touch?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,019 Posts
"......Lastly, in terms of the "classic car feel", I don't know of any mustangs having had EFI back in the day, I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but the Corvette and other vehicles have had EFI since the 1950's and even before.
Some of the Corvette's did have a fuel injection option. But it was a mechanical fuel injection, not EFI.

"........I will gladly admit that I suck at tuning carbs. :)....."
I sucked at walking when I was 1 year old. But I kept working at it.

Tuning a carburetor is no different than any other kind of learning. It's not black magic, even on the Webers. They are pretty complicated, but still follow the same physics that a Autolite 2100 does. The knowledge gained on the most simple carburetor is directly transferrable to the most complex carburetor

".......Let's also not forget, for the purists, this this is not an irreversible mod. ......"
I don't keep my vintage cars "period correct" for the next owner. I do it because I get the most enjoyment from them when the total owning and driving experience is identical to what I enjoyed when cars were new.

".......The garage will stink for maybe 5 days until the fuel bowl dries up, and then no more stink..."
"........let me ask you, how long does it take your fuel bowl to dry up? I mean, eventually it should- right? ......"

there's a big difference between the float bowl drying up in 5 days, and it drying up eventually. Yes they will dry up eventually, and when they do, it will look like these carbs pictured below. They were from a Yamaha XS-1100. The owner had to go on a forced vacation at a Federal lock-up for 3-5 years with time off for good behavior. When he got back to the shed where he parked his bike, it wouldn't start, so he brought it to our shop.

(....Notice that two of the carbs are clean. That's because the bike was leaned at a steep angle (toward the right side) up against the interior wall of a storage shed. All the gas drained out of the 2 left hand carbs into the other two before it could dry out. Photos show the carburetor assembly flipped over and upside down, so the right-most carb in the photo is actually the left-most carb....)

If your float bowls in a stock Autolite are drying out without leaving a nasty residue, then they are drying out too soon. There is a reason, and it can be fixed, either by repair or replacement with a good carburetor. I don't know what was the fault in your carb, but it did have one (or more) that was causing the rapid evaporation and garage smell. Fixing the fault seems to me to be easier than ditching the carb in favor of EFI.

I drove my parents Fairlane in high school (Sr. '69), and I'm pretty sure it had an Autolite 2100 on it. No stinky garage.

Z

Attachments

·
6,914 Posts
I went with Ford fuel injection using an A9L out of a 1989 mustang, a cobra EFI intake (which will just BARELY clear a '65 hood) 30# injectors and an intank fuel injection pump with return line. This is on a 347.

At the time I did it, the TBI systems were not available...so I had less choices.

The car gets 25 MPG all day long, starts on the first crank, never has heat soak or vapor lock problems. It's just a lot better car to drive.

My carb left me beside the road at least 3 times. Once on a blown power valve and twice on vapor lock situations.

The EFI has left me beside the road ONCE. If you go Ford EFI, keep a spare TFI module in your trunk along with the tools to change it...as when they go out...they go our with no warning.

Phil

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I started tuning and modifying carbs in the mid 60s when the 660 center squiter holleys came out it wasnt long before i slapped a 850 throttle plate on it. on my 200 6 in my 69 mustang had a 500 cfm holley 2 bbl on it with one barrel plugged. It got 45 mpg and turned in the 13s

when i got into the original engine in the merc shown above used a maff conversion FMS kit to get rid of the SD system. ported e7 heads ported lower and ported lopo upper ho throttle body great performance but best at economy 32.9 mpg.
ANTI rotation yoke broke and wasted the engine.
the next engine was a 91 short block with dooe ported heads with a first year cobra ecm, edelbrock 5.0 victor intake with a bit of port work and a tweecer. That was when i started learning to program. not may shops to tune it around here the ones that could were telling me to do stuff like jack the timing way up. bottom line knew a lot more about engines and tuning than they did. Basically in simple terms FI does the same stuff as a carb and ignition in one unit. There is a jetting set up, accelerator pump shot size, so on and so on. all things to duplicate what a carb does about the same with timing set up. The programmable timing was the bigger improvement over mechanical in my book than the fuel side. i currenty run a programmable msd unit on the carbed version in the merc.
in short carbed and injected didnt make all that much difference except when egr is left out of the fi set up fuel economy suffered.
Were i now feel injection would make the biggest performance increase over carbed or cfi is the hillborn electronic systems that look much like a Weber set up

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've posted several times about my EFI setups so I'll keep it short. I had a Powerjection 3 which was awful and never made it 5 miles from home. I now have an FiTech and love it. I've gone on 3-4 hour drives that I never would have considered with the Carb or the PJ3. I've had good working carbed vehicles in the past but my 69 Mach never would cut it. Although it never had an all brand new fuel system with the carb which probably would have really helped reliability.

On my 69 Mach 1 with the FiTech, other than a few extra wires and a return line the engine bay looks stock. The stock 428 air cleaner keeps it all hidden and the EFI only makes the car more of a joy to drive. I've added EFI, cruise control, TKO600 and they've all made the car more fun to drive while being virtually invisible mods.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
What are the experiences of members who have done this and for those who have not, why haven't you?

Im in no rush, so far the car has not given me any issues and she's a once or twice a week kinda gal (not a DD). So rather than adding the kit to my shopping cart, it's been added to the wish list.

Happy Monday!

JB

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
I'm lazy and have not read all the replies but I will tell you what we did....... We bought our '68 Vert (T code car) with a swapped 302 and an AOD. Originality was long gone so it was a blank canvas for us. I wanted to go FI and a 5 speed from the start. Wife wasn't comfortable with a stick (yet) so that was out (she came around and now I am finishing a T5Z swap). All on board for FI until I talked to a good friend that convinced me to learn about carbs and after that, reconsider the FI. I bought a new carb and got with a great carb guy and with him and a wide bad O2 meter tuned it. It runs so good now that unless it is cooler than 50' outside, it starts as good as our injected daily drivers.

Would I like to go FI................ sure but I really don't see a big need for it now. I guess if someone gave me a kit then yes but from my experience, the carb fit our bill just fine. On second thought.....a slightly cleaner exhaust smell would be my only real reason for going injected but it's not a big enough issue to switch IMO.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
most dont dial in the idle circuit really as well as main circuit and power valve circuit often not addressed properly in conjunction with the main circuit.

Choices can depend on what your starting with and what you want to spend and emission testing required in your area.

would love this but the price

Ford | Hilborn Fuel Injection

·
Registered
656 Posts
Question for all the EFI people who love to state how their EFI looks like a carb, can't be seen under their air filter and know one can tell you have EFI instead of a carb? Why hide it if you're so proud of it?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
most dont dial in the idle circuit really as well as main circuit and power valve circuit often not addressed properly in conjunction with the main circuit.
I'm sure that is totally correct for 90% of carb tuning from semi educated folks (in reference to carbs). I was real lucky to get with a great carb guy and he explained all of the above while tuning our carb--and it's not a 10 min. job ether--spent 2 full Saturday mornings with several test drives to really get it dialed in. IMO, the wideband was indispensable for tuning.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Question for all the EFI people who love to state how their EFI looks like a carb, can't be seen under their air filter and know one can tell you have EFI instead of a carb? Why hide it if you're so proud of it?
Because we all want to enjoy the conveniences afforded us by EFI but don't want to be accused of being weenies who just take the easy way out :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I actually just received my new Holley Sniper EFI today in the mail today.

My 67 will be a daily driver and we previously had a Edelbrock carburetor that had been on multiple projects throughout the years. I bought the system from Holley that came with all the lines, fittings, and new fuel pump since the one we have won't be powerful enough to feed the EFI.

We are hoping to put it on soon, but we have other pressing restoration things to do and also have to run the lines and do all the modifications since I'm not switching out my gas tank, etc. If I can remember, I'll report back with thoughts and experiences once we get it on and the motor running regularly.

Regardless of anything else, she is pretty...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I don't hide my EFI at all, and in fact I draw attention to it by putting a Fuel Injected label on my air cleaner. I've had more people strike up a conversation because of the label on my air cleaner than before I put it on.

They all want to know the same thing, was it easy to install, and how do I like the results? I tell them the truth, and don't sugar coat it, and at the end of the conversation they are now more convinced they want one also. I don't know if they really do or not, but at least they have talked to someone who put on on. I've stated my reasons for getting it, so I'll not go into them again.

There are two camps of people with regard to EFI. Those that want it and those that don't. Its the same group that either likes modifications or those that want to keep it the way it came. I have respect for both mindsets, and in the end it is the owner of the car that decides what they want for their car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
On my dad's Boss 429 he had 2 Holley 600 carbs. Said that it was a nightmare to get the car to idle and drive around town well. Above 3k rpm it was incredible but below that it was terrible. When I build my engine i am absolutely going with EFI. All around driveability is important to me.

I built a Megasquirt ECU and wired it up to an engine. It was really cool using a lap top to tune it.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I'm sure that is totally correct for 90% of carb tuning from semi educated folks (in reference to carbs). I was real lucky to get with a great carb guy and he explained all of the above while tuning our carb--and it's not a 10 min. job ether--spent 2 full Saturday mornings with several test drives to really get it dialed in. IMO, the wideband was indispensable for tuning.
Which Wideband did you use? Where did you install the O2 sensors?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Which Wideband did you use? Where did you install the O2 sensors?
AEM was the easiest to setup and most accurate i've found...

Install after the collector IMO.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
it depends on my mood, and the look i am going for. sometimes i want a stealthy look, let people wonder how my car does what it does. oter times i dont mind letting it be known i am running EFI.

On my dad's Boss 429 he had 2 Holley 600 carbs. Said that it was a nightmare to get the car to idle and drive around town well. Above 3k rpm it was incredible but below that it was terrible. When I build my engine i am absolutely going with EFI. All around driveability is important to me.

I built a Megasquirt ECU and wired it up to an engine. It was really cool using a lap top to tune it.
i like the megasquirt system also. if i can find the right TBI throttle bodies, i will use them on my six cylinder falcon to run it with EFI. i need either two more tempo/taurus one bbl throttle bodies, or two two bbl throttle bodies.

·
Premium Member
13,019 Posts
".....There are two camps of people with regard to EFI. Those that want it and those that don't. Its the same group that either likes modifications or those that want to keep it the way it came. ......"
I love modified cars. However, I have a finer appreciation for cars modified with what was available when the cars were first introduced. Paxton ball drive superchargers, great; Weber 48 IDA carbs, swell; etc.

On my dad's Boss 429 he had 2 Holley 600 carbs. Said that it was a nightmare to get the car to idle and drive around town well. Above 3k rpm it was incredible but below that it was terrible. ......"
with all due respect to your father, it's a shame he didn't know someone who could properly tune the engine. That would've allowed him to enjoy the 429 all the time.

".....I built a Megasquirt ECU and wired it up to an engine. It was really cool using a lap top to tune it.
I feel ill.

;) ;) ;)

Z

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I love modified cars. However, I have a finer appreciation for cars modified with what was available when the cars were first introduced. Paxton ball drive superchargers, great; Weber 48 IDA carbs, swell; etc.
hey, fuel injection was around then. we used a jackson injector on our race car running on alcohol.

with all due respect to your father, it's a shame he didn't know someone who could properly tune the engine. That would've allowed him to enjoy the 429 all the time.
well, them boss 429s, when modified, were tough to get to idle right, and have decent low speed drivability. part of the problem was the heads, specifically the intake ports, on those things. the holland tunnel should be that large, they might be able to move more traffic through it. :D

I feel ill.

;) ;) ;)

Z
take two ipads and call apple in the morning.:D:D

41 - 60 of 193 Posts